• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I have never loaded rifle ammo, but have done tons of pistol and shotgun. That said, I have an extra Dillon 55BL (https://www.dillonprecision.com/bl-550-basic-loader_8_1_25792.html) that i would like to setup for .223 since it is just laying around. I'm looking for advise on the best setup for .223 in this press. I am willing to buy the powder and primer systems to upgrade it to a 550RL and make things more automated. So for anyone that has a similar setup, what did you learn, what would you change? What else will i need? Case trimmer? Resizing die in the press or not? Be a pal and walk me through getting this thing setup the best way possible and making sure i have everything i need. Thanks in advance.

gabrigger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Wayne County
    I have loaded many thousands of rounds of .223/5.56 on my Dillon 550B's. A lot will depend on the volume that you are loading. I have the resizing die in my .223 toolhead so that it is a progressive system. The biggest thing I learned was around trimming. I tried a couple of different trimmers, but eventually settled on the Dillon RT-1500 system. It is quick, but I would only go that route if you are looking at processing a lot of brass. If you are only loading a few boxes here and there, I would use a manual trimmer. You will like the Dillon 550 system. Send me a PM if you need any help or have any questions.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I load .223 and .308 on a similar setup. I use the 550bl to decap and size the brass, process the brass with a Frankford Arsenal prep center, then load progressive on a separate 550c.

The .308 I load completely on the 550 basic. I think this is more the setup you are asking about. I run it like a turret press. You don’t need an automatic powder drop or priming system although they speed things up. For .223 you will need the #3 shellplate and appropriate pins, a toolhead, .22 powder funnel and set of .223 dies.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I load a lot of .223 on a 550, i went to a rcbs small base die, with a added lyman carbide expander ball and stem, best combo i have found a so much smoother to operate.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Thanks for the info. Look like i've got some shopping to do. What are recommendations for a manual trimmer?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The Lyman hand trimmer is cheap and easy to use. I still use it on my .308. Plus I have the other inserts for different cartridges just in case.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/e-zee-trim-hand-case-trimming-system

couple that with a case prep tool like this and you can trim, ream, chamfer, debur. Not a long term or high volume solution but if a guy just wants to get started and load some cartridges it works just fine.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/lyman/case-prep-tools/case-prep-tools/case-prep-multi-tool

I have an electric prep center setup for .223. Its set how I like it. It’s a pain to reset. So I still use the manual tools for .308 and they work good.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Looks like i did something dumb. I got a hornady 2 die set of match grade. Now it says i need to buy a bushing also for the resize die. Anyone work with these before? So i'll need a bushing and the normal powder die right? But that's one die short? Confused. I did get the dillon conversion kit.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Looks like i did something dumb. I got a hornady 2 die set of match grade. Now it says i need to buy a bushing also for the resize die. Anyone work with these before? So i'll need a bushing and the normal powder die right? But that's one die short? Confused. I did get the dillon conversion kit.

You will have to help me out. I use a set of Hornady Dies. Mainly because I bought them on the cheap from a buddy. I am not sure what bushing you are saying you need for the sizing die?

The decapping pin in the Hornady dies will not hold up to crimped primers! So I cut the decapping pin off and retained the mandrel. Two tool heads. #1 I use a Dillon decapping die (Lee is also good) followed by the Hornady sizing die in station 2. Next I trim, chamfer, debur and ream on a Frankford Arsenal prep center. Toolhead #2 first station is a Lyman decap die just in case I decide to tumble brass again, second is the powder die and measure, third is Hornady seating die, fourth is Lee crimp die.

For .308 I use one toolhead on a basic loader. Station 1 is sizing die. Station 2 is powder die with a funnel no powder measure. I trickle all my loads. Station 3 is seating die. Station 4 is the Lee FCD. You don’t need a crimp die in station 4.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    https://www.hornady.com/reloading/dies/match-grade-dies#!/
    It has a neck size bushing i have to buy it seems. I will need a crimp die and a powder die. Man, what did i get myself into..

That’s what I think, I loaded 222 knew guys loading 223 about 15 years ago. It has really changed with primer pocket crimp. Add so many variations to search out and choose from. I picked some Dillion dies they push out the primers but I can’t put primers in them every time...

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Been loading .233/5.56 for years on a Dillon RL550. Brass prep is key. Get your equipment dialed in by spending the tome to make all your adjustments and tuning. Once done you simply watch what you are doing and crank them out. Done!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom