• ...and so much more!
  • BMWmojo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 29, 2020
    Zionsville
    Hello all,

I have been collecting my brass for the past year or so mainly just to keep my outdoor range clean and free from brass the mower could hit. I am starting accumulate a decent amount (at least for me) and wanted to know what I should be doing with it. I don't want to start reloading...yet. I do eventually want to get in to that but now just isn't the time for me. Does anyone take brass, reload and in return give the person who gave it to them a portion of the ammo? Is that crazy? Is there somewhere or someone I can take it and pay to have it reloaded for less than the current crazy ammo prices? I don't want to throw it away as most of the brass is in good shape and was new when I shot it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Usually selling the brass is a great option. Making reloads for someone else is always touchy. I have done some for a family member but not any friends or to sell. I believe there are regulations on manufacturing ammo for sale. I am not well read on any of the legalities of manufacturing ammo so I know little to nothing about it.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    What fixer said.
    I reload for myself and sometimes other people shoot them, but there is huge liability issues when loading for someone else.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    You need a manufactures license from the ATF to sell reloads. But only if you get caught like the guy that sold that nut in Vegas his ammo. Some places like Freedom Munitions have program send them your brass and they will load it for you at a cost.

BMWmojo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 29, 2020
    Zionsville
    I may just hang on and get into reloading after. Anyone have any suggestions on where to start with purchasing equipment? I haven't done much research but it looks like its a substantial initial investment to get started ($1k+).

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Primers to reload are going for stupid x2 or x3 prices right now. Bullets have a 4-6 week wait, if available. Look in classified ads sometimes it is a everything included so there will not be any more shopping to start.

BMWmojo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 29, 2020
    Zionsville
    After some quick research, it looks reloading is still the way to go. I never actually looked up prices. Substantially cheaper then boxed ammo. Now, time to find all the supplies!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    BMW. I would start with something to clean your brass. Then sort it into cans. You could sell or trade the brass you don’t intend to reload. Sorting and cleaning is the first step to reloading.

draftsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Greenfield
    You don't have to buy a tumbler to clean it. You can use a wide mouth plastic jug with some dish soap. Some folks use the Lumie Shine dishwasher powder that I believe has citric acid in it.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    what's the price of junk brass now days? I've got a lot of junk brass such as split cases, and to thin to use. I have a big bag I have it stored in. Only good would be to melt it down and make sold brass bullets if that's possible, or sell it for junk.

Would a lead melter get hot enough for brass to melt down? I would like educated in this area. Really thinking about making my own lead bullets. Any good books or online reading material with this information?

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Place here in town is over a dollar a pound scrap price.

Now isn't the time to get into hand loading.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    Hello all,

I have been collecting my brass for the past year or so mainly just to keep my outdoor range clean and free from brass the mower could hit. I am starting accumulate a decent amount (at least for me) and wanted to know what I should be doing with it. I don't want to start reloading...yet. I do eventually want to get in to that but now just isn't the time for me. Does anyone take brass, reload and in return give the person who gave it to them a portion of the ammo? Is that crazy? Is there somewhere or someone I can take it and pay to have it reloaded for less than the current crazy ammo prices? I don't want to throw it away as most of the brass is in good shape and was new when I shot it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

I make a great brass.......i mean grass catcher!!!:ingo:

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I may just hang on and get into reloading after. Anyone have any suggestions on where to start with purchasing equipment? I haven't done much research but it looks like its a substantial initial investment to get started ($1k+).

Brass doesn't go bad.
    Best path forward: Save the brass and pick up equipment on the cheap when it appears.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County

It doesn't have to cost 1K to get into reloading unless you are sure it's something you want to do and go big to start. Most start with a basic single stage or even a hand press to learn on. Most people don't jump in with a progressive press but later purchase one after some experience. There are always exceptions of course. YMMV

Brass doesn't go bad.
    Best path forward: Save the brass and pick up equipment on the cheap when it appears.

This is good advice. ^^^^

Brass can become a little brittle over decades but that usually isn't an issue for the average reloader.

Top Bottom