Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I have brass!

Plinker

User Info Menu

I have brass!

Hello all,

I have been collecting my brass for the past year or so mainly just to keep my outdoor range clean and free from brass the mower could hit. I am starting accumulate a decent amount (at least for me) and wanted to know what I should be doing with it. I don't want to start reloading...yet. I do eventually want to get in to that but now just isn't the time for me. Does anyone take brass, reload and in return give the person who gave it to them a portion of the ammo? Is that crazy? Is there somewhere or someone I can take it and pay to have it reloaded for less than the current crazy ammo prices? I don't want to throw it away as most of the brass is in good shape and was new when I shot it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

User Info Menu

Usually selling the brass is a great option. Making reloads for someone else is always touchy. I have done some for a family member but not any friends or to sell. I believe there are regulations on manufacturing ammo for sale. I am not well read on any of the legalities of manufacturing ammo so I know little to nothing about it.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Expert

User Info Menu

What fixer said.
    I reload for myself and sometimes other people shoot them, but there is huge liability issues when loading for someone else.

JHB
    Marksman

User Info Menu

You need a manufactures license from the ATF to sell reloads. But only if you get caught like the guy that sold that nut in Vegas his ammo. Some places like Freedom Munitions have program send them your brass and they will load it for you at a cost.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I didnít think about the regulations...ugh. I may see what freedom ammunition can do. Who buys brass? Is there anyplace local?

Expert

User Info Menu

If you want to reload later, why not keep it? I just sorted out 10 years worth of picking up brass and will now start cleaning it, hopefully to reload this winter.
    Not a statist.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I may just hang on and get into reloading after. Anyone have any suggestions on where to start with purchasing equipment? I haven't done much research but it looks like its a substantial initial investment to get started ($1k+).

User Info Menu

Primers to reload are going for stupid x2 or x3 prices right now. Bullets have a 4-6 week wait, if available. Look in classified ads sometimes it is a everything included so there will not be any more shopping to start.

Plinker

User Info Menu

After some quick research, it looks reloading is still the way to go. I never actually looked up prices. Substantially cheaper then boxed ammo. Now, time to find all the supplies!

User Info Menu

BMW. I would start with something to clean your brass. Then sort it into cans. You could sell or trade the brass you donít intend to reload. Sorting and cleaning is the first step to reloading.
    "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid." - Han Solo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast