• ...and so much more!
  • tomcat 1164

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2020
    Greene County
    Hey All.
    Want to load some lead bullets for my colt style 9mm AR.
    Just checking on maybe best bullet weight and bullet style that works and shoots well?
    Not new to reloading just new to this style weapon.
    Thanks~

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Welcome to :ingo:
    I'll be watching this thread.
    Sorry I can't contribute, but I could learn something I'm sure.

:popcorn:

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I remember when I loaded 9mm with lead I had to be careful that it was hard enough not to lead the barrel. I’d love to contribute more but I’ve since sold all my semi-autos.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    tomcat,
    Are you planning on increase power until achieving reliable functioning? And then searching for accuracy?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    We've casted a lot of 9mm using straight wheel weights. making plinking loads, I've never had an issue with leading, just don't push them to fast.
    I've shot them out of multiple handguns and a camp 9.
    I've used 115g round nose and some 115g pointed, they almost looked like they were sharpened in a pencil sharpener

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I recommend hard cast. BHN of at least 16. That should get you to 1200 fps without lead fouling problems. I personally like the poly coated hard cast lead myself.

Like any firearms start low work your way up 0.2gr at a time. I usually make 10rds for each test. You will find one your rifle likes best.

tomcat 1164

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2020
    Greene County
    I was thinking 135 gr RN bullett@1000fps?
    Thought that is where I would start.
    Also looked at 125gr coned shaped bullet.
    Gun is 100% reliable right now shooting FMJ's.

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    I was thinking 135 gr RN bullett@1000fps?
    Thought that is where I would start.
    Also looked at 125gr coned shaped bullet.
    Gun is 100% reliable right now shooting FMJ's.

Pretty specific target velocity an bullet wieght. Are uou trying to achieve power factor in a particular sport?

Rio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2017
    SE Indiana
    I am in the middle of doing this right now. Shooting a 147 summit city coated bullet. It has to be set deep in the case but I am using 2.2 grains of tite group so o got right at 800fps +- 12 FPS.

it’s a little dirty, the tite group really wants a higher charge. I think I am going to switch to clays. I broke down this week and ordered a Dillon 750 as I need production to keep up with the kids!

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Okay,

Off topic but on topic.

I am reloading some 124gr plated right now and had a question. So in my SP-01 they are running 1090fps...which I think is a "bit" on the slow side. But in the AR9 10" barrel they are running 1180fps due to the extra barrel length.

Question being. Do I bump up the charge .1gr to .2gr of TG (current charge is 4.0 of TG) to get to the +-1150 mark in the CZ so I am running at more of a factory speed? If i do that will I be pushing them to fast out of the AR9 for the plated cast?

Thanks guys.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Okay,

Off topic but on topic.

I am reloading some 124gr plated right now and had a question. So in my SP-01 they are running 1090fps...which I think is a "bit" on the slow side. But in the AR9 10" barrel they are running 1180fps due to the extra barrel length.

Question being. Do I bump up the charge .1gr to .2gr of TG (current charge is 4.0 of TG) to get to the +-1150 mark in the CZ so I am running at more of a factory speed? If i do that will I be pushing them to fast out of the AR9 for the plated cast?

Thanks guys.

Any pressure signs now from your current load? If not then bumping 0.1gr and testing would be something I'd do. Just make sure you take it slow. Stop when you see any signs of extra pressure.

Another question are the current loads accurate? If so I would leave it alone.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Any pressure signs now from your current load? If not then bumping 0.1gr and testing would be something I'd do. Just make sure you take it slow. Stop when you see any signs of extra pressure.

Another question are the current loads accurate? If so I would leave it alone.

So yes they are accurate.

They are a plated H.P. that i am thinking of as a in a pinch defense load so I would like to get closer to factory loads. They are not a "normal" plated H.P. though. They look way more aggressive than your normal target H.P.'s.

So I was thinking get them up to speed and then do some expansion testing.

I just didn't know how fast you can push plated lead before you start to see leading and break down of the coating.

If I get them up to 1150+- in the CZ I am thinking in the AR will be over 1300.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Knock on wood, but i dont think you'll be able to push plated 9mm fast enough to break through the plating.

There are several plated rifle bullets, as well as 357mag plated bullets, that are pushed much faster than long barreled 9mm velocities, with no issues with the plating.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So yes they are accurate.

They are a plated H.P. that i am thinking of as a in a pinch defense load so I would like to get closer to factory loads. They are not a "normal" plated H.P. though. They look way more aggressive than your normal target H.P.'s.

So I was thinking get them up to speed and then do some expansion testing.

I just didn't know how fast you can push plated lead before you start to see leading and break down of the coating.

If I get them up to 1150+- in the CZ I am thinking in the AR will be over 1300.

You may find the higher velocity will get inaccurate. So you will need to go with what you feel is acceptable accuracy and speed. You may want to experiment with different powders as well to achieve your goals. Once you find that perfect load its a marvelous experience.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Knock on wood, but i dont think you'll be able to push plated 9mm fast enough to break through the plating.

There are several plated rifle bullets, as well as 357mag plated bullets, that are pushed much faster than long barreled 9mm velocities, with no issues with the plating.

Thanks, never thought about it that way.

I will bump her up a .1gr and start working up the load. I think my COAL is good. They pass the plunk test well. I am using untrimmed mixed head stamp brass so the lengths are a bit different. On the plunk test I am getting about 1 out of 5 or 6 that with a slight push of the thumb fully seat. This is telling my I am sitting just a little shy of the throat? May shorten them up once I get close and see how that effects the accuracy...yes I know it will speed them up also.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I’m loading 147 grain coated lead bullets, both summit round nose and Ackerman flat point. I’m using alliant sport pistol 3.4 grains to a case length of 1.13 oal, it’s my new load for both my idpa pistol and I’m getting a low recoil and accurate too!. This is my new idpa pistol load, and will be my steel challenge load for my pcc

Top Bottom