• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Maybe try a local range? They're not going to pay you for it, but they'll probably take it off your hands.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Yards that will take it are paying 1.25 lb

How about taking a few good pics and weights of what you have and post it here for offers?

Pricing from a buyer in Indy.

(Last Modified: September 3rd, 2020, 3:41 pm)
    Metal/MaterialCurrent Price
    Brass Shells$1.25/lb
    Brass Water Meter$0.65-$1.15/lb
    Clean Brass Radiators$1.30/lb

Last edited:

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I have the same issue in SE Indiana and the Tri-state area. I have lots of 22 brass that I want to recycle. I don't care if I get nothing in return. Just trying to be a good steward and recycle. I reload my other brass so that's why I only have 22LR to recycle but none of the recycling centers near me will take it due to liability. I also have steel 7.62 cases that I would like to recycle to keep them out of the landfills but same deal - no takers from the recycling centers near me.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I have the same issue in SE Indiana and the Tri-state area. I have lots of 22 brass that I want to recycle. I don't care if I get nothing in return. Just trying to be a good steward and recycle. I reload my other brass so that's why I only have 22LR to recycle but none of the recycling centers near me will take it due to liability. I also have steel 7.62 cases that I would like to recycle to keep them out of the landfills but same deal - no takers from the recycling centers near me.

Throw the brass over the gate at night?

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute

Perhaps ask someone involved in blacksmithing? I'm just spitballing, but sometimes they use brass for their projects.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Local gun shop over the weekend sold 5 gallon buckets of range brass to someone melting it down to make "art" out of.
    Depending on condition of brass, If its reloadable, you could sort it and sell to those that reload.

If its scrap/junk brass, I'd say post it on your local craigslist and see if you get any hits. Also potential to sell on website like Etsy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Truth here.

Metal-X in The Fort.
    Last Thursday, 9/3/2020
    Brass 0.15/LB
    Range Lead 0.20/LB

We had 7 complete HVAC systems stacked for scrapping. We were waiting for the prices to make it worth the effort to break it all down into the metal groups for the best return at the scales.
    After some of them sitting there since last summer we started setting them on the curb in front of the house. With in 10 minutes or less someone was snatching them up. We saw a local guy we knew and gave him the 5 we had left. He was in heaven. Said he had to work his butt off but that would feed his family for a few days. Gave us a warm fuzzy feeling.

But seriously OP just find someone that needs that brass. Unless you are dead broke.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

There has to be a return for them in all of this.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I was talking to a guy at the lgs he said solid brass bullets would be illegal for handguns, but are okay for high power rifle. Something to do with armor percing handgun rounds. I'm not sure I caught it all correctly. My question is that true? You can't use solid brass for bullets? If anyone knows the law on this please explain it I'd appreciate it.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    We had 7 complete HVAC systems stacked for scrapping. We were waiting for the prices to make it worth the effort to break it all down into the metal groups for the best return at the scales.
    After some of them sitting there since last summer we started setting them on the curb in front of the house. With in 10 minutes or less someone was snatching them up. We saw a local guy we knew and gave him the 5 we had left. He was in heaven. Said he had to work his butt off but that would feed his family for a few days. Gave us a warm fuzzy feeling.

But seriously OP just find someone that needs that brass. Unless you are dead broke.

I berm-mine, collect and scrap the cast-offs for the club I belong to.

It was a very disappointing day last Thursday. Last spring I got 0.34/LB for lead and 0.40/LB for brass.

I walked away with about half of what I was expecting. It would be more rewarding sorting and selling the good stuff, but the time investment would be too much. It breaks my heart to see once-fired 6.5, 30-30 or 45-70 just dumped into the bin, especially at 0.15/LB.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I berm-mine, collect and scrap the cast-offs for the club I belong to.

It was a very disappointing day last Thursday. Last spring I got 0.34/LB for lead and 0.40/LB for brass.

I walked away with about half of what I was expecting. It would be more rewarding sorting and selling the good stuff, but the time investment would be too much. It breaks my heart to see once-fired 6.5, 30-30 or 45-70 just dumped into the bin, especially at 0.15/LB.

When we were doing 20 or more system installs a season (Covid brought that to a halt...:xmad: ) my SIL got the scrap as part of his pay for helping. He would net a tidy sum when he scrapped out say 5 systems. Took the family on a weekend get away etc. Made it we'll worth the effort. Now it is not worth the time/effort involved.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I was talking to a guy at the lgs he said solid brass bullets would be illegal for handguns, but are okay for high power rifle. Something to do with armor percing handgun rounds. I'm not sure I caught it all correctly. My question is that true? You can't use solid brass for bullets? If anyone knows the law on this please explain it I'd appreciate it.

He is correct, solid brass or copper handgun rounds are considered armor piercing and are not legal. This changes when they are used in rifles which led to a lot of confusion. It all comes from a flurry of legislation years ago about "cop killer bullets" and "Teflon coated' ammunition.

Most of the data that produced this legislation came from big media in the 80s, along with the term "cop killer bullets"

Most of the federal push on this came from Mario Biaggi, representative from New York who was later convicted on several corruption charges.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    He is correct, solid brass or copper handgun rounds are considered armor piercing and are not legal. This changes when they are used in rifles which led to a lot of confusion. It all comes from a flurry of legislation years ago about "cop killer bullets" and "Teflon coated' ammunition.

Most of the data that produced this legislation came from big media in the 80s, along with the term "cop killer bullets"

Most of the federal push on this came from Mario Biaggi, representative from New York who was later convicted on several corruption charges.

Solid copper hollowpoints are okay in handguns though.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1657168239

Top Bottom