• ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Anyone using Dillon's Basic Loader BL550? Is it worth getting over the Square Deal 'B'? I shoot .30-06, .308, .38-55, .45 Colt, ..32 ACP and etc. I have a 550B that has loaded 10,000's of rounds in the last 25 years or so. I shoot more .32 ACP's in pistol and .44-40 rifle and am thinking of getting another Dillon so I can set one for each. I have an old primer unit off the 550B now. I weigh all powder loads now when using my 550B so auto powder isn't needed. I could set one for each and still use the 550b for my other loadings. I know the SDB will load .44-40 and all pistol rounds I shoot but .32 ACP. The 550B will load all my black rifle rounds plus the .32 ACP. If you have used both the BL550 and the SDB which would you buy today if the BL550 was not going to be up graded over the years. I would not give up my 550B for a 650 or 750 as it does all I need. I just would like to have a second reloader with one set up for .44 WCF and one set up for my .32 ACP.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I run a dedicated 450 Dillon for 38 special wadcutter. It has manual push button primer and powder dumps. To buy new I would buy whatever the new 550 is.
    Its more convenient and you eliminate some of the human forgetfulness in the loading process.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have a 550b and 550c. The 550b I stripped down and removed the primer and powder measure. That essentially turns it into the basic loader. From what I can see the BL does not come with the powder, auto primer, cartridge eject, and the attachment for the powder fail safe rod.

I have the shell plate with the 4 different size shell holders. So I don’t even change the shell plate. I run the press as a turret. Works great for quickly switching to those cartridges I don’t load many of like .38 spl and .40s&w. I also use the press to decap and size .223 and load .308.

For .308 I trickle the powder and dump it in using the little funnel on top of the dillon powder die. So measuring powder for rifle is easy. For the handgun or even .223 I use the Lee AutoDisc measures. So there is the secret to the Basic Loader. The lee dies and powder measures work perfectly on the press. I could even mount a Lyman 55 or RCBS manual powder measure if I wanted.

Honestly on a budget or with limit room, a Dillon Basic Loader matched with Lee dies/measures would be economical and very robust. Other then the need to place a primer on the tray every stroke also very easy to use. A person could produce a lot of ammo with this setup once they are in the groove.

Top Bottom