LuckyGunner finally gets some stock Gold Dot .38 Special - PRICE GOUGES?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Looking around this is looking like the new normal. So the question is - are the ammo manufacturers charging more or is it just the retailers?

Both. Components are in high demand and short supply. That drives up the price to manufacture the product. Demand is high at the retailer level, driving up the price further. Demand by consumers is through the roof and with so many consumers willing to pay high prices the retailers are going to charge enough to make a profit.

This isn't like 2012-13 when Cheaper Than Dirt was charging $80 for a box of Tula 9mm and other retailers had it for $25. The supply chain is maxed out and demand is up across the board. High prices this time around are much more a result of market conditions rather than gouging.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    A store can't stay in business with empty shelves. If Lucky Gunner can't get ammo back in stock regularly and then make their money on volume, then they have to make their money on selling what they have.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Both. Components are in high demand and short supply. That drives up the price to manufacture the product. Demand is high at the retailer level, driving up the price further. Demand by consumers is through the roof and with so many consumers willing to pay high prices the retailers are going to charge enough to make a profit.

This isn't like 2012-13 when Cheaper Than Dirt was charging $80 for a box of Tula 9mm and other retailers had it for $25. The supply chain is maxed out and demand is up across the board. High prices this time around are much more a result of market conditions rather than gouging.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MCgrease08 again.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    There are too few 2a supporters to be drawing lines in the sand and making black lists. Even if they were gouging, which I don't think they are, it's just business. You aren't being forced to buy anything. To be frank, you need it now because you didn't "stock up" when prices were low and/or because you aren't a reloader. I'm generally not a conspiracy theory prepper guy, because I think we're all screwed in the SHTF scenario.
    Having said that, adapt and evolve - it's going to get worse.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Been refreshing LuckyGunner's page for .38 Special 135 Grain +P for weeks now....today they finally show 160 boxes in stock....and they immediately JACKED the price up to 45 dollars!

https://www.luckygunner.com/38-special-plus-p-135-gr-jhp-speer-gold-dot-50-rounds

When/if all this pandemic shortage is over lets all try and remember who took advantage and who didn't!

So so now we have a thread bashing a 2A supplier, accusing them of gouging, and threatening them when the world is right by some arbitrary definition. Then 11 minutes later asking if this is "the new normal". I hate threads that bash ANY suppliers of the products we need for our interests. It is appropriate to discuss customer service issues, misrepresentation and the like, but bashing because one does not like the price is BS. I wish moderators would remove these supplier bashing threads.

What was abnormal was unprecedentedly low prices, relative to other items, we enjoyed for 3 years. It truly was the opportunity of a lifetime. Sure wish I had done more with it...

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MCgrease08 again.

Got him for ya.

And I agree with the rest. This IS the new normal pricing, not a select few pumping their prices.
    LuckyGunner is usually not the cheapest place to buy ammo. But if it's listed in-stock, IT IS. And your order will ship immediately, and arrive quickly.

Unlike some other online retailers who have taken money, then delayed for weeks.
    Or outright cancelled old orders so they could resell that arriving stock at the new higher prices.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    So if Trump wins, kneels on the rioters' necks, and things calm down...then demand will slack off, manufacturers will still be producing ammo at max rates for a little while, and prices will go in the toilet. Will you still pay a "fair" price or will you take advantage of their position and stock up?

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    There are too few 2a supporters to be drawing lines in the sand and making black lists. Even if they were gouging, which I don't think they are, it's just business. You aren't being forced to buy anything. To be frank, you need it now because you didn't "stock up" when prices were low and/or because you aren't a reloader. I'm generally not a conspiracy theory prepper guy, because I think we're all screwed in the SHTF scenario.
    Having said that, adapt and evolve - it's going to get worse.

Well I am VERY stocked up on 9mm...I was just dumb enough to ADD a caliber to my battery at the worst possible time!

DOH!

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    So so now we have a thread bashing a 2A supplier, accusing them of gouging, and threatening them when the world is right by some arbitrary definition. Then 11 minutes later asking if this is "the new normal". I hate threads that bash ANY suppliers of the products we need for our interests. It is appropriate to discuss customer service issues, misrepresentation and the like, but bashing because one does not like the price is BS. I wish moderators would remove these supplier bashing threads.

What was abnormal was unprecedentedly low prices, relative to other items, we enjoyed for 3 years. It truly was the opportunity of a lifetime. Sure wish I had done more with it...

Well I kinda flew off the handle when I started this thread. I was an Angry Little Hobbit. My bad.

I should have at least put a question market at the end of the title.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Well I am VERY stocked up on 9mm...I was just dumb enough to ADD a caliber to my battery at the worst possible time!

DOH!

HA. I made the same mistake this year. 300 BO. I was having a bunch of problems with the rifle and decided to sell it and what little ammo I was able to find. It happens.

38/357 is a great caliber though. I really enjoy it in lever actions and revolvers.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    So if Trump wins, kneels on the rioters' necks, and things calm down...then demand will slack off, manufacturers will still be producing ammo at max rates for a little while, and prices will go in the toilet. Will you still pay a "fair" price or will you take advantage of their position and stock up?

From what I've seen elsewhere, some of the manufacturers (CCI) aren't really increasing production much. Others (Hornady) are stopping production on bulk ammo and instead concentrating on premium lines. They're assuming this is a short term thing and don't want to spend any money putting on another shift or buying machines. Last shortage a few of them added lines and shifts then when things got back to normal ended up mothballing machinery and laying off employees.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    From what I've seen elsewhere, some of the manufacturers (CCI) aren't really increasing production much. Others (Hornady) are stopping production on bulk ammo and instead concentrating on premium lines. They're assuming this is a short term thing and don't want to spend any money putting on another shift or buying machines. Last shortage a few of them added lines and shifts then when things got back to normal ended up mothballing machinery and laying off employees.

THIS!! For all of the belly-aching and moaning by 2A enthusiasts - we, as a whole, are a fickle bunch.

When demand spikes, folks start pitching around terms like 'gouging'. Once demand settles back down, they swing by the LGS, see full shelves and decide not to stock up.

To anyone who thinks the ammo manufacturers/distributors are doing a poor job, I invite you to enter into competition with them. Put up or....well, you know...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    THIS!! For all of the belly-aching and moaning by 2A enthusiasts - we, as a whole, are a fickle bunch.

When demand spikes, folks start pitching around terms like 'gouging'. Once demand settles back down, they swing by the LGS, see full shelves and decide not to stock up.

To anyone who thinks the ammo manufacturers/distributors are doing a poor job, I invite you to enter into competition with them. Put up or....well, you know...

Rep worthy again...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Well we as Mods let these run so the point you are making is again...."MADE"....what were you people doing for the last 3 years. Ammo was falling off the shelves for the lowest prices since Sandy Hook.
    It twists me up in a knot. Wake up people. Look around. If you are one that buys your ammo as you shoot it then this is on you. Stop crying. The evidence has been everywhere that this was coming. Get some reserves in place.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Yep. I got caught short on .22s last go-round. Since then, especially the last 18 months, I've been loading up on it along with .223/5.56 and better quality at that. Even if Trump is reelected, the civil unrest stops, prices drop, and ammo is falling off shelves at shops again, in 2024 we'll do it all over again.

Top Bottom