• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Can someone recommend a decent seating die for the 300 blackout?

I'm currently loading 300 blackout with a set of Hornady dies that I got with the upper. I'm loading 125 gr flat base bullets, and it's a pain in the rear. The hornady seating die doesn't stick down far enough to come out the other side of the press (rock chucker), so I have to get my bullets to balance perfectly on the brass while I raise the ram, and most of the time they fall over before they make it up into the die. Its very frustrating.

Can anyone suggest a 300 blackout die set where the bottom of the seating die sticks out past the bottom of the press so I can guide the bullet with my fingers until it's started into the seating die.

Thanks
    Mark

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I use a Hornady 'Custom Grade' die set for 300 Blackout. The seating die has a floating sleeve that holds the bullet and case in alignment as it enters the die.

You could also use a Lyman M-die to expand the neck so the the bullet would sit nicely on it while using your existing seating die.

Last edited:

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    My seating die has that feature also. The problem is that it doesn't stick outside of the die, and the base of the die is still recessed up into the top of the press. Most of the time the bullet falls over before it into the die.

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    Give Hornady a call. I know that they sell several different seating stems for .224 depending on what length/shape of bullet you're using, they might have something better suited to this bullet.

Top Bottom