• ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Not happy with this group at 50 yards.
    Ruger PC 9mm 5.067" 10 shot group take out the three oddball it's 2.606" 7 shot group together. Might have been me on the trigger those 3 strays. But I feel like I got good shots in every pull.

Hoosier 124gr Coated RN
    HP38 4.1gr
    CCI 400 primer
    COL 1.055
    10 shots
    Avg fps: 1183
    Highest fps: 1199
    Lowest fps: 1168
    Extreme Spread: 31
    Standard Deviation : 10
    50 yard 10 shot group 5.067"

I'm going to 4.3gr next test.

traderjoe

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 3, 2020
    South Bend area
    My practice load for my pistols is 4.1 gr gives good results. I have been using the same load in my full size 9mm AR and shot good enough not to change. I found that once I went over 4.3 gr, groups opened up

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My practice load for my pistols is 4.1 gr gives good results. I have been using the same load in my full size 9mm AR and shot good enough not to change. I found that once I went over 4.3 gr, groups opened up

I may have to drop down or maybe it doesn't like the COL. So many things I have to test yet.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    4.1 HP38 would have been my guess for a load. 1183 out of a carbine seems about right. About 1200 fps is as fast as I would want to push a coated lead bullet. How does the gun group with factory ammo.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Federal 115gr fmj it does about the same group. With cheap wolf 115gr it actually shot a 3.187" 10 shot group at 50 yards. Very shocking. The ES and SD for wolf was insane but it shot decent groups. I wonder how that is possible.

I'm going to give it a longer COL and drop to 3.9gr. The 4.1gr is fine in my pistols upto 20 yards. The carbine doesn't like that load.

Last edited:

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    Talk to Jeff and get a few lighter and heavier bullets to test. That barrel may not like that weight.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Federal 115gr fmj it does about the same group. With cheap wolf 115gr it actually shot a 3.187" 10 shot group at 50 yards. Very shocking. The ES and SD for wolf was insane but it shot decent groups. I wonder how that is possible.

I'm going to give it a longer COL and drop to 3.9gr. The 4.1gr is fine in my pistols upto 20 yards. The carbine doesn't like that load.

Play all you want. That is good. But loading them longer plus dropping the powder changes two variables. If anything I would load them longer and raise the powder charge. Shorter OAL equals higher chamber pressure. But who knows what the best combo would be.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Talk to Jeff and get a few lighter and heavier bullets to test. That barrel may not like that weight.
    I have some 147gr rn. I plan on giving them a go soon as I run out of 124gr. I reload for hobby and fun. I love to experiment to me it's part of the fun.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Play all you want. That is good. But loading them longer plus dropping the powder changes two variables. If anything I would load them longer and raise the powder charge. Shorter OAL equals higher chamber pressure. But who knows what the best combo would be.

That's what I'm trying to figure out for this carbine. It may not like anything I try because it may not like the bullet or gr. I'll keep going if all else fails a different powder doesn't work or different COL then I'll mark it down as the carbine doesn't like that bullet.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    That's what I'm trying to figure out for this carbine. It may not like anything I try because it may not like the bullet or gr. I'll keep going if all else fails a different powder doesn't work or different COL then I'll mark it down as the carbine doesn't like that bullet.

Try this. Pop the barrel off the gun. Then plunk test the cartridge to determine max OAL. You can put a bullet in the case and push into the chamber to figure out what length it hits the rifling. Then subtract a couple tenths. Make sure the longer OAL spins in the chamber and falls free. Oh and still loads OK into the magazine. Now your length is set. Load up a bunch at 3.9, 4.1, 4.3 grains and put them on paper.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Plan on doing that for a COL for it. My 2 9mm pistols are okay with the HP38 4.1gr COL 1.055 " so I figured the carbine should as well. However, it isn't the case. I was hoping to find a COL that works for my pistols as well as the carbine. With good accuracy out to 50 yards at least 2.5" 10 shot groups.

I have a feeling the XTP will get it done. But thats kind of expensive for plunking.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Did the plunk test seems the Carbine wants 1.099" instead of 1.055" my pistols like. Now I'm going to load up as you stated Vert and test for accuracy.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Did the plunk test seems the Carbine wants 1.099" instead of 1.055" my pistols like. Now I'm going to load up as you stated Vert and test for accuracy.

Inquiring minds want to know. I bought some of the 124s but a friend took those. So I haven’t tried them myself.

I do have quite a few of the 125s with the lube groove. If you want to try some of those let me know.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    DadSmith I know this is a different carbine but I did something similar with my Hi-point 995TS Carbine and it's best load was a 115gr. Berry's coated bullet with 4.2 grains of Hogdon Titegroup and OAL of 1.14. I experimented like you have with different loads and OAL. For some reason that combo worked the best. I even had myself and my two sons all shoot each combo to see what our combined scores were and we all shot that load the best. Obviously what shoots best in a Hi-point Carbine may differ greatly in a Ruger Carbine. We tried three 9mm bullet weights (115 gr, 124, and 147) and varying powder weights, 3 different powders (WIN 231, HP-38, & Titegroup) and varying OAL's. For some reason this particular load far outscored and had the tightest groups of the lot for the carbine. Part of the fun of reloading. Getting to experiment with different guns and different loads like you said makes it more fun. Good luck.

Ethanalpha

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2018
    Jeffersonville
    I have found that the longer barrels favor 124gr bullets a little better. This is strictly my own research, but I have had good luck with Alliant sport pistol at 4.0-4.2 gr with a 124gr blue bullet at .356 diameter. If we are talking about fmj’s or metal shrouded projectiles, MoNtana gold or Everglades ammunition makes a good hollow point that is decently accurate.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Thanks guys ill keep this in mind. I'm looking for a accurate rd that is good in both pistol and carbine. If I load to my carbine COL 1.099 they won't work in my cz p10f or Canik Tp9da. The 1.055 both pistols love it. IMO I should not have 2 different load lengths for 9mm what happens if its an emergency shtf and I grab the wrong long load for the pistols? Lots of failures are going to happen. So I've decided it has to work in my pistols and the carbine. So it has to be 1.055". I'll have to play with different powders weights, and bullets until I find something all 3 like and make a few 50 cal cans full of them.

Top Bottom