Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hoosier 124gr Coated RN Ruger PC 9mm

User Info Menu

Hoosier 124gr Coated RN Ruger PC 9mm

Not happy with this group at 50 yards.
    Ruger PC 9mm 5.067" 10 shot group take out the three oddball it's 2.606" 7 shot group together. Might have been me on the trigger those 3 strays. But I feel like I got good shots in every pull.

Hoosier 124gr Coated RN
    HP38 4.1gr
    CCI 400 primer
    COL 1.055
    10 shots
    Avg fps: 1183
    Highest fps: 1199
    Lowest fps: 1168
    Extreme Spread: 31
    Standard Deviation : 10
    50 yard 10 shot group 5.067"

I'm going to 4.3gr next test.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Plinker

User Info Menu

My practice load for my pistols is 4.1 gr gives good results. I have been using the same load in my full size 9mm AR and shot good enough not to change. I found that once I went over 4.3 gr, groups opened up

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by traderjoe View Post
    My practice load for my pistols is 4.1 gr gives good results. I have been using the same load in my full size 9mm AR and shot good enough not to change. I found that once I went over 4.3 gr, groups opened up
    I may have to drop down or maybe it doesn't like the COL. So many things I have to test yet.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

User Info Menu

4.1 HP38 would have been my guess for a load. 1183 out of a carbine seems about right. About 1200 fps is as fast as I would want to push a coated lead bullet. How does the gun group with factory ammo.
    "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid." - Han Solo

User Info Menu

Federal 115gr fmj it does about the same group. With cheap wolf 115gr it actually shot a 3.187" 10 shot group at 50 yards. Very shocking. The ES and SD for wolf was insane but it shot decent groups. I wonder how that is possible.

I'm going to give it a longer COL and drop to 3.9gr. The 4.1gr is fine in my pistols upto 20 yards. The carbine doesn't like that load.
    Last edited by DadSmith; 10-11-2020 at 21:41.

JHB
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Talk to Jeff and get a few lighter and heavier bullets to test. That barrel may not like that weight.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DadSmith View Post
    Federal 115gr fmj it does about the same group. With cheap wolf 115gr it actually shot a 3.187" 10 shot group at 50 yards. Very shocking. The ES and SD for wolf was insane but it shot decent groups. I wonder how that is possible.

I'm going to give it a longer COL and drop to 3.9gr. The 4.1gr is fine in my pistols upto 20 yards. The carbine doesn't like that load.
    Play all you want. That is good. But loading them longer plus dropping the powder changes two variables. If anything I would load them longer and raise the powder charge. Shorter OAL equals higher chamber pressure. But who knows what the best combo would be.
    "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid." - Han Solo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JHB View Post
    Talk to Jeff and get a few lighter and heavier bullets to test. That barrel may not like that weight.
    I have some 147gr rn. I plan on giving them a go soon as I run out of 124gr. I reload for hobby and fun. I love to experiment to me it's part of the fun.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VERT View Post
    Play all you want. That is good. But loading them longer plus dropping the powder changes two variables. If anything I would load them longer and raise the powder charge. Shorter OAL equals higher chamber pressure. But who knows what the best combo would be.
    That's what I'm trying to figure out for this carbine. It may not like anything I try because it may not like the bullet or gr. I'll keep going if all else fails a different powder doesn't work or different COL then I'll mark it down as the carbine doesn't like that bullet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DadSmith View Post
    That's what I'm trying to figure out for this carbine. It may not like anything I try because it may not like the bullet or gr. I'll keep going if all else fails a different powder doesn't work or different COL then I'll mark it down as the carbine doesn't like that bullet.
    Try this. Pop the barrel off the gun. Then plunk test the cartridge to determine max OAL. You can put a bullet in the case and push into the chamber to figure out what length it hits the rifling. Then subtract a couple tenths. Make sure the longer OAL spins in the chamber and falls free. Oh and still loads OK into the magazine. Now your length is set. Load up a bunch at 3.9, 4.1, 4.3 grains and put them on paper.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast