• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2015
    Mooresville
    I know I am gonna start a big battle here. I know there is an ammo shortage. I know beacuse of that ammo demand, manufacturers are using alot of the primers that would normally be available for reloaders. I stocked up a long time ago so, I have been o.k. so far. My issue is reloading stores, and vendors at Gun shows Marking up small pistol primers to the price of 150.00 for 1000. Don't start with supply and demand conversation, that is not the point of this post. I just hope all of us reloaders remember the shops and the vendors who think that is cool to do.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Another post whining that things are not what they used to be, and my hobby should not be affected by market forces. If you are stocked up as you say, why do you care to post this? Yes sir, let's remember the retailers that supply the products for our 2A passion, they should be drawn and quartered for succumbing to the market. If ammo is sky high why wouldn't components? Totally illogical...

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I know I am gonna start a big battle here. I know there is an ammo shortage. I know beacuse of that ammo demand, manufacturers are using alot of the primers that would normally be available for reloaders. I stocked up a long time ago so, I have been o.k. so far. My issue is reloading stores, and vendors at Gun shows Marking up small pistol primers to the price of 150.00 for 1000. Don't start with supply and demand conversation, that is not the point of this post. I just hope all of us reloaders remember the shops and the vendors who think that is cool to do.

I guess a year ago when you posted you dont pay more than 29 bucks for a brick of primers you should have bought more...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Lets start out with I am not having much fun herding cats of late.
    And that if this goes south you will all be suspect so keep it civil and yes, for now anyway I am a Mod.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    At some point if you don't feed it due to changes in your economic priorities a gun begins to lose it's allure. We're getting there.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I think it's a little sad that just because the demand is higher than the supply at the moment some are taking advantage and raising prices just because. I have seen some shops that are still selling at the normal price as they get product in. I refuse to pay double and triple just because someone can take advantage of the current situation. I think the Op is saying just because you can charge that much, is it right to do so. I don't believe it is. My guess is some that are defending the price gouging are selling some of their stash in the classifieds at triple or more than what they paid for it. Call it whatever you want, I still think it's wrong.

I have a fairly good stockpile of primers but I will not be selling any just because I can profit off of someone else's situation.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I think it's a little sad that just because the demand is higher than the supply at the moment some are taking advantage and raising prices just because. I have seen some shops that are still selling at the normal price as they get product in. I refuse to pay double and triple just because someone can take advantage of the current situation. I think the Op is saying just because you can charge that much, is it right to do so. I don't believe it is. My guess is some that are defending the price gouging are selling some of their stash in the classifieds at triple or more than what they paid for it. Call it whatever you want, I still think it's wrong.

I have a fairly good stockpile of primers but I will not be selling any just because I can profit off of someone else's situation.

Many of them may have to. Let's say they usually sell 100 box's of ammo at $10 per week. $4000 per month. Now they only get an allocation of 10 box's of ammo per week from the distributor and they cost 25% more from the distributor. There regular income from this is cut by 75% if they don't increase cost. They would probably not be able to survive.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Many of them may have to. Let's say they usually sell 100 box's of ammo at $10 per week. $4000 per month. Now they only get an allocation of 10 box's of ammo per week from the distributor and they cost 25% more from the distributor. There regular income from this is cut by 75% if they don't increase cost. They would probably not be able to survive.

This is way oversimplified but still makes a fair point. But to use the example, the retailer still has all the fixed costs of the business while selling 10% of the product they usually sell. Just how do they keep,the lights on? Heck, the store is out of guns and ammo to sell, just how do they make any money to pay their bills, much less profit? Doubt they made a fortune selling dirt cheap ammo and overun guns after the last election.

Before criticizing these 2A suppliers take a few online business courses and see what items like to run a business budget in uncertain times...

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

But the reverse point could be made as well: those most vocal about retailers raising prices are often the "classified flippers," because that's where they get their inventory.

During the last ammo run, some of the people complaining loudest about "gouging" were in fact the "flippers," who needed cheap inventory from retailers so they could turn around and re-sell at a profit. When stores raised their prices, it cut into their profit margin for resale, and they were pissed. They got on here and started posts exactly like the OP's, urging people to make calls, write letters, and generally ostracize and boycott specific retailers. They badgered places like WalMart to keep prices low...then sat outside the store waiting for their allocation to come in, and snapped it all up, resulting in no ammo on the shelves.

When challenged on their methods, some defended themselves by saying "I'm on a fixed income, the only way I can afford a day at the range is with the profits I make selling stuff."

I have no way of knowing if the OP was one of these people, so I'll leave it at that and take his statement at face value.

But keep in mind the old adage, "the smeller is the feller," and those quickest to criticize the sharks, are often times other sharks.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

So if you bought primers 3-4 years ago you are saying they should be sold at what you paid for them then? That’s very generous of you because you would then be giving money away. Not only is money worth less now than it was any time in the past (we call that inflation), but if you’d stuck that money in an interest bearing account like the person who didn’t buy several years ago, they made money on their money while you subsidize their profit AND help them out in a time of shortage.

All good and noble to think you are taking a moral high-ground, but doing so ignores basic economics.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I don't have a problem with them raising the prices as costs for the items go up. Product availability is down for almost everything gun related. To make me as a reloader or new shooter front the cost of sales being lower than normal is not a good way to stay in business. I would not continue to support businesses that did this no matter what they are selling.

They didn't allow people to sell TP for double or triple the price when you couldn't find it at the grocery. Amazon and Ebay actively blocked them from doing it. I have seen gun shops selling guns as fast as they get them in. I don't doubt the supply problems are slowing shops down, but I have seen some selling a lot more guns than they usually do.

I was still buying 1000 primers for $30-$40 when people were selling them here for $75-$100. I think price gouging for the sake of profit is wrong. Just my personal opinion.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I don't have a problem with them raising the prices as costs for the items go up. Product availability is down for almost everything gun related. To make me as a reloader or new shooter front the cost of sales being lower than normal is not a good way to stay in business. I would not continue to support businesses that did this no matter what they are selling.

They didn't allow people to sell TP for double or triple the price when you couldn't find it at the grocery. Amazon and Ebay actively blocked them from doing it. I have seen gun shops selling guns as fast as they get them in. I don't doubt the supply problems are slowing shops down, but I have seen some selling a lot more guns than they usually do.

I was still buying 1000 primers for $30-$40 when people were selling them here for $75-$100. I think price gouging for the sake of profit is wrong. Just my personal opinion.

Perfect example: there is a Mini-14 with accessories for sale which began its run an Andrew Jackson south of $1,000, with the seller stating he bought it at a time when the observer can plainly remember they could be had under $600 new. And the item has been used. I have no issue with it. I have a choice to buy, or not buy. He has a choice to sell, or not sell. There is nothing wrong with this picture.

Last edited:

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    So if you bought primers 3-4 years ago you are saying they should be sold at what you paid for them then? That’s very generous of you because you would then be giving money away. Not only is money worth less now than it was any time in the past (we call that inflation), but if you’d stuck that money in an interest bearing account like the person who didn’t buy several years ago, they made money on their money while you subsidize their profit AND help them out in a time of shortage.

All good and noble to think you are taking a moral high-ground, but doing so ignores basic economics.

400% profit margin isn't basic economics. Any business doing this will never stay in business long. I have sold components that I inherited($0 cost to me), I just didn't feel the need to screw someone over just because I could.

Call it what you want I don't think it's right whether your selling Toilet Paper or Primers. I really hope you don't apply that logic to your shooting buddies that might need some 9mm ammo or reloading components and you have a surplus. If you wouldn't gouge them why do it to someone else?

I guess I will continue to take the high ground.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

A lot to unpack here.

You are free to support those you choose, however to suggest that businesses that are trying to survive turbulent times are immoral is just unfair and may result in far fewer choices for all of us.

Ah, I just cannot get onboard with mega global corporate companies deciding what free people can sell...

Then let those trying to sell sit on it until they have it proven to them they are out of the market. So you think it is immoral to buy low and sell high and the powers should stop it?

vermilionbird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    Oct 17, 2020
    South Bend
    Seems like some retailers are limiting ammo purchases to a certain amount per month for each account/address so the regular folks can actually have a chance against bots and the folks reselling at $1/round on gunbroker. Can't say that's a bad policy

Top Bottom