• ...and so much more!
  • climber1218

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Converse
    Recently purchased some 147 grain hard cast polymer coated truncated cone bullets for .357 magnum. Anyone have experience with these? Load data? I assume one treats these more like lead cast or copper coated than copper jacketed? Thanks.

climber1218

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Converse
    Thanks for the advice...this is my first venture into anything other than 45 ACP FMJ! The bullets I bought are lead cast made from 92-6-2 allow and coated with HiTek Supercoat...supposedly 16 Brinell Hardness. They are manufactured by DGBullets. [FONT=Open Sans, Arial, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Recently purchased some 147 grain hard cast polymer coated truncated cone bullets for .357 magnum. Anyone have experience with these? Load data? I assume one treats these more like lead cast or copper coated than copper jacketed? Thanks.

Chances are that these are more for 9MM cases than they are for .38/.357 cases, due to the weight??
    Mic these for the average diameter, I'll bet they average .356"-.357"?? Cast for .357 Magnum should Mic at .358"-.359"..

As far as your question...I run my coated handgun projectiles to jacketed speeds.
    As ALWAYS your results may be DIFFERENT, and I can NOT suggest any information for YOUR loads...Bill.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Bill knows his stuff on cast and coated!

I cannot remember, so I have to reference. This thread from castboolits.com explains way better than I could...

Cast bullet size

Proper sizing is hugely important to avoid gas cutting and thus leading. Plus .001-.002 over your bore size, determined by slugging your barrel. Appropriately sized muzzleloader balls are well worth the investment of a box for this job. (folks spend hours and days figuring the best way to do this with stuff on hand. :rolleyes:) Wooden dowel rod and something softer than steel for the tapping needed also, along with calipers that you should already have.

Also watch out for shaving the coating during the loading process.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    That company sizes that same bullet to 9mm and 357 sizes check what the diameter is. A little time spent checking the size could save a lot of work cleaning the barrel if you have under size for caliber bullets.

traderjoe

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 3, 2020
    South Bend area
    I've not had any issues with polymer coated bullets. I load them using lead bullet data. I bell the case mouths more than I do with jacketed bullets.

Ethanalpha

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2018
    Jeffersonville
    I've not had any issues with polymer coated bullets. I load them using lead bullet data. I bell the case mouths more than I do with jacketed bullets.

this is exactly what I do. I shoot Blue Bullets that are sized a little small at .355 for my 9mm, but they are plenty accurate enough for my games. Don’t use those bullets if they are sized .355 for a .357 magnum load. It won’t be good as it may lead The barrel pretty bad.

climber1218

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Converse
    Thanks everybody for the info! These bullets were specifically for .38/.357 although the company sells the same weight bullet for 9mm. I measured the diameter at .358. BTW, I just loaded some 44 special polymer coated bullets and noticed that I was shaving some of the coating when seating the bullet...so I adjusted my die to bell the case mouth further and problem solved. Thank you again for the wealth of knowledge and reference.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom