• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Does anyone have personal experience using s&b small pistol primers for 9 and 40mm? I am down to these and winchester and I'm planning on loading up a bunch of range ammo. Have not used any s&b to date.

20201025_165745.jpg

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Does anyone have personal experience using s&b small pistol primers for 9 and 40mm? I am down to these and winchester and I'm planning on loading up a bunch of range ammo. Have not used any s&b to date.

View attachment 92423

good luck. My early testing showed ignition failures, inconsistent dimensions and loose anvils. Plus I don’t use foreign stuff if I can help it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

View attachment 92423

I used them early on in my reloading days. They worked fine. But then again, I have never had any issue with a primer whether it be S&B, CCI, Winchester, various iterations of Federal and maybe a couple I have forgotten about.

I've got 5K on order with a company I have never heard of. I am a little nervous, but I'll be optimistic.

I tend to use Federals because supposedly they are a little softer and will ignite with a lighter hammer strike even though I don't have any "light" hammer guns.:)

Last edited:

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    good luck. My early testing showed ignition failures, inconsistent dimensions and loose anvils. Plus I don’t use foreign stuff if I can help it.

That's a little disappointing to hear. I would go with a better brand but availability seems to be zero right now so I'm reaching into storage.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Bought a bunch from a buddy when he moved to Florida last year. I haven't loaded any yet, but he said they worked well in everything except for glocks, most of the glocks they had didn't like them

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I've been using them for about two years. I bought a bunch back when Cabela's sold them at $19.95. Many contests and range time. I can't say that I have had over two primer related problems with my reloads.
    Load 'em up and go have fun.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    I have loaded up a bunch and never had any problems with the seating or firing.

They are a bit harder of a primer so I had to bump up the hammer spring on the CZ.

Also my Lee loader didn't like feeding them from the tray.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I think it was back in 2014 when Cabelas had them on clearance during Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I bought about 80k in SPP, LPP and SRP at $14/k

They work just like any other primer I've ever had.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    No problem with the primers either. None. I've been using S&B ammo since .45acp S&B was $5.00 a box at Elmores. I stocked up every paycheck until they went to $18 a box.
    Honestly I don't know what hard primers are. I've loaded CCI, Winchester, and numerous other brands of primers. They've ALL gone bang every time.
    How do you tell if you have a hard primer if they all go bang?

Top Bottom