• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fordfarmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Morgan County
    So going through inventory today found lots of 38 swc (and flat nose) 158g so I sized to 356 made dummy’s and cycled through a Glock 26 9mm by hand went ok .looking at lee reloading book found 147g lead data ,bullet is about same as 9mm 147 ,was going to use that data. What do you guys think of this ideal?

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    Back the power charge down a bit because of the weight difference if the bearing length of the 158 is longer than the 147. Drop down some more. Removing a stuck bullet is easy. Replacing a blown up gun is expensive a visit to the urgent care isn't either.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    found lots of 38 swc

How many is "lots"??
    The total design of a Revolver projectile is usually not the one to use in Pistol calibers.

My thoughts would be to try to trade your "lots" of 158gr. Revolver projectiles for "lots" of Pistol projectiles for your 9MM??..

For me, if I did not load .38/.357, these would go into my cast pot and made into "lots" Pistol projectiles...Bill.

Last edited:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    FWIW...

There are 44.3 158gr. projectiles to a pound. How many pounds of these do you have?

There are 47.6 147gr. projectiles to a pound, so most anybody would trade you 1 for 1...Bill.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I wouldn't try shooting lead in a Glock, unless it's powder coated or HiTek coated.. Polygonal rifling and cast lead has produced bad results..

i do load 125gr 38/357 cast for my SR9c. When started, I used minimum charge of Power Pistol and seated to the crimp grove. THEY WERE HOT!! Bumped the bullet out to closer to 9mm OAL, and lowered the charge 1/2-1 gr. Soft shooting in my gun.

Ethanalpha

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2018
    Jeffersonville
    I think you are better off trading them. The oal will hender good results, and may create a dangerously small space inside the casing for powder. Don’t compress any fast powders either with this bullet, because it may go boom.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    So going through inventory today found lots of 38 swc (and flat nose) 158g so I sized to 356 made dummy’s and cycled through a Glock 26 9mm by hand went ok .looking at lee reloading book found 147g lead data ,bullet is about same as 9mm 147 ,was going to use that data. What do you guys think of this ideal?

When I think "so I sized to 356", I think of cast or swaged projectiles?.. Takes some pretty specialized equipment to sized jacketed/plated bullets properly. You usually damage a plated bullet when you just push them through a .356"size die??

About 1500 they are plated from extreme had for years .I do load 38 but not that much.
    Although 'X-Treme' plated are a quality plated bullet, damage will probably occur when you try to "Downsize"??..

Hopefully you only "Sized" a few of these XTreme 158 plated slugs?, if most of your projectiles are still un-sized, they are still good trading material for some 9MM slugs??

These 158gr. SWC and FN projectiles WILL take up too much "Air Space" in your 9MM cases, and cause EXTREMELY HIGH pressure in your 9MM loads=DANGEROUS levels of pressure!!=Do NOT use these 158gr. projectiles in a 9MM pistol!!
    If you do, be SURE that your Life/Health Insurance is paid up===There will be a claim made....

I can also see a "Slightly Used" Glock 26 coming up here on the Classified section.......Bill.

Last edited:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Sorry, but I could not let this go....

Disclaimer: I have many in my Family in the Farming Business-BUT-

fordfarmboy (In the ER!):

Yeah Doc, so there I was in my Big John Deere, turning around at the end row, and that Steering Wheel knob thinggy came around and hit my hand..??

Doc, it would not be so bad, BUT this also is my SHOOTING HAND!!!!!

Anything you can do with some Pins and Screws? ( I may have some in my JD tool box?) How about it Doc???

Sieriously---Do not make up these 9MM loads....Bill.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've made extensive use of the Lee 125 grain .358 RNFP cast bullet in 9mm. Just size, lube and go. It's my go to bullet for 38 ACP as well.

Top Bottom