• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Challenger76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2020
    South Bend
    When it comes right down to it, WHY can't I find any ammo anywhere? I shoot 380 but there's just nothing on the shelves anywhere! I get more people have bought guns recently, wouldn't the ammo manufacturers kick up production or something? Ok now I'm just venting.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Because we have 5,000,000 NEW gun owners in 6 months. It's also an election year so people are buying in case "the other side" wins. Add to that the pandemic, riots and the attack on police officers, more people are feelng the need to take the responsibility to protect themselves.

Also. The ammo manufacturers are running 24/7. But they have also had to deal with downtime for Covid restrictions/increased safety measures on the production line.

Demand can and does jump over night. Filling that demand takes a lot longer.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    When it comes right down to it, WHY can't I find any ammo anywhere? I shoot 380 but there's just nothing on the shelves anywhere! I get more people have bought guns recently, wouldn't the ammo manufacturers kick up production or something? Ok now I'm just venting.

Gun and ammo sales have hit record numbers this year. Ammo manufactures have "kicked up production" and it is still not remotely enough to supply the demand.

Why for such demand? Bigtaker nailed it. Normally sales are higher in election years as people face uncertainty. However, throw in the beer virus, riots and the calls by some for civil war if their chosen presidential candidate does not win, and people have extra motivation to buy every single thing they see on the shelves.

Things started to get a little crazy in April....now it's more or less every man for himself.....at least for ammo purchases.

Good luck with your ammo search.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Thank you both for the great insight! That makes total sense don't know why I didn't put all that together lol

Remember this when the supply gets back toward "normal".
    Shortly after Sandy Hook I couldn't find anything to shoot.
    I decided that was not going to happen again.
    As soon as the supply chain regained strength, I bought into reloading.

No issues now.
    If I want to shoot, and there's no ammo in the stores, I just put some together at home!
    There is no substitute for having the ability to "roll your own".

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    Remember this when the supply gets back toward "normal".
    Shortly after Sandy Hook I couldn't find anything to shoot.
    I decided that was not going to happen again.
    As soon as the supply chain regained strength, I bought into reloading.

No issues now.
    If I want to shoot, and there's no ammo in the stores, I just put some together at home!
    There is no substitute for having the ability to "roll your own".

:+1::ingo:

Been rolling .44 Mag's for the upcoming deer season and 9mm H.P.'s for the upcoming election.....can't wait for hunting season.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Just last year a few here were skeptical that reloading 9 mm was worth the effort and expense.
    Well, reloading 9mm JHP for 11.5 cents a round seems a bit less marginal now.
    Reloading is your friend. But good luck with the primers.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    And don't expect ammo makers to increase capacity. This is a bubble and they don't want to get stuck with excess capacity down the road.

Some firearm and ammo manufacturers did increase capacity the last time this happened and when Trump got in office, the industry slid back down to historical sales numbers and several went out of business because they incurred too much debt and couldn't manage it.

The best we can do is ride it out and start a consistent, diligent build up when we get to the other side.

I'm not sitting bad, but I am limiting my rounds shot when I go to the range. And I don't like to do that.:)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It's the same that happened with toilet paper.
    There's a ****load of people.
    If everyone buys more than they usually do..

Funny thing about that. That was the result of a carefully balanced system that got turned on its ear.

There are two streams for TP; commercial and consumer. Consumer uses virgin fibers, commercial uses recycled fibers. (why its not as soft as consumer grade) And the machines used to produce the two are engineered differently.

So for years manufacturers have run two streams that provided enough TP for both sides. Then suddenly the shutdown happened and the need for commercial tanked, and the need for consumer spiked. But there was no good way to do consumer production in the commercial plants. So the commercial plants stopped, the consumer plants couldnt keep up, and we ran out. Meanwhile in warehouses around the world were billions of commercial rolls sitting. Rolls that were incompatible with our roll holders at home.

I'm honestly not sure if we are back where we are because panic dropped, or if they re-tooled some of the commercial plants to produce consumer paper for now to re-balance the supply chain. I just recall the explanation in the moment and realized just how different making different kinds of the same product can be.

And don't expect ammo makers to increase capacity. This is a bubble and they don't want to get stuck with excess capacity down the road.

Some firearm and ammo manufacturers did increase capacity the last time this happened and when Trump got in office, the industry slid back down to historical sales numbers and several went out of business because they incurred too much debt and couldn't manage it.

The best we can do is ride it out and start a consistent, diligent build up when we get to the other side.

I'm not sitting bad, but I am limiting my rounds shot when I go to the range. And I don't like to do that.:)

/thread.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Funny thing about that. That was the result of a carefully balanced system that got turned on its ear.

There are two streams for TP; commercial and consumer. Consumer uses virgin fibers, commercial uses recycled fibers. (why its not as soft as consumer grade) And the machines used to produce the two are engineered differently.

So for years manufacturers have run two streams that provided enough TP for both sides. Then suddenly the shutdown happened and the need for commercial tanked, and the need for consumer spiked. But there was no good way to do consumer production in the commercial plants. So the commercial plants stopped, the consumer plants couldnt keep up, and we ran out. Meanwhile in warehouses around the world were billions of commercial rolls sitting. Rolls that were incompatible with our roll holders at home.

I'm honestly not sure if we are back where we are because panic dropped, or if they re-tooled some of the commercial plants to produce consumer paper for now to re-balance the supply chain. I just recall the explanation in the moment and realized just how different making different kinds of the same product can be.

/thread.

Heard about that with the TP. Sorta the same way with some food. Some food is processed and packed for commercial use, some for consumer. Not easy to switch.

BTW, what does "/thread" mean?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    /thread implies we are done because the point was made so perfectly there is no need to continue.

just like the /quote closes the quote command. Its programming speak.

DC1711

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 9, 2018
    Auburn
    The shelves tend to be bare but you can still find ammo on line. Several back order sites. Have some patience and you can score all the ammo you need.

Top Bottom