• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Got a box of these and in search of load data for .38 spl., came up short.

Hoped to use the min powder charge of HS6 for the 148gr LWC recipe as shown in the LEE book with a different OAL?

Then again maybe other style of WC recipes aren't suitable?

If I crimp these at their cannelure they would be 1.255, which results in a good deal of the bullet being in the case and causes me to wonder how deep to seat these?

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    Most full wad cutter type bullets are seated flush with the case mouth. Crimping in the crimp groove will be fine unless you are loading for a S&W model 52.

Last edited:

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    In this example crimping on the cannelure doesn't leave a lot of bullet exposed outside of the case, what type of recipes in general are acceptable for DEWC lead?

Do I have to look for DEWC recipes specifically?

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    May I ask what you're going to use this load for? Just target practice?

That's pretty much it, had them in the back of the cabinet and it's a well if you've got um, use um situation.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept that a crimp groove on a lead bullet can't be called a cannelure.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I cast and PC a 145gr bullet like your speaking of. I seat to the top "cannelure". Underneath is 2.8 grain of bullseye for a powder puff load running 750 fps. Very accurate fun load.

THkn1mO.jpg

rlw9337

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Sorry for the wordy response. I found several different sources show load data based on a shorter OAL than you are planning to use. Since all the manuals are copyrighted, I don’t like to list any of their data. The Lee manual gives you a minimum OAL in the table.
    The bullet does penetrate into the case a significant distance. The peak pressure is likely sensitive to OAL due to the small usable case volume of a loaded cartridge. If you load to a longer OAL you will generate a lower peak pressure and lower velocity. There can be issues with very low pressure charges but you are not likely to see those issues with your longer OAL.
    You can try https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/ to see the recommended load from the powder manufacturer. The Hodgdon load is for a HBWC which is different than the DEWC you are using. I looked at my Lee reloading manual and the max and start loads are the same for HS-6. I do not feel comfortable with the load listed in my version of the manual. I do not know what version of the Lee manual you have so I don't know the load you see in your manual. I would use the lower maximum load in the Hodgdon web site.
    I looked at some loads in a ballistics software package and see small differences in peak pressure between Hornady HBWC and Hornady DEWC with HS-6. I suspect the software doesn’t look at the possible friction impact of the hollow base but I really do not know. Neither are the same as the bullet you are using but I feel better with the small calculated pressure differences in these bullets.
    I see some noticeable calculated peak pressures difference between the Hodgdon recommended OAL and the longer OAL you are using. I would use a load near the middle of the Hodgdon recommendations for the bullet and OAL you are using. That will keep you away from any possible high peak pressure from the different bullet and avoid low velocities from the reduced pressure of the your longer OAL.
    The cannelures, I see, are rolled into a bullet while the crimp grooves are typically cast into the bullets. I see cannelures noted as being in place to prevent setback while crimp grooves are used to assure case tension and also prevent setback. So I wouldn’t crimp as hard into a jacketed bullet with a cannelure as I would into a cast crimp groove.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Yea back in 97' LEE had a heavier starting load with the same min/max for HS6. In my other LEE manual published in 10' the data more closely resembles what Hodgon now publishes.

Almost afraid to open the Lyman book out of concern of more confusion.:scratch:

Found a box that I likely loaded back in 15' over 4.6gr HS6 with very light roll crimp. Don't think I ever got around to shooting any yet......

Attachments

• missouri.jpg
      missouri.jpg
      5 KB · Views: 16
    Top Bottom