• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Meathead2011

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2020
    Flora
    I'm looking for ammo and been finding lot of steel case rounds still expensive for what it is should I just keep an eye out for brass what do you think

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have a few 5.56 wolf rounds. Most are .223. They all shoot fine.

On the other hand, at least three of my M&P 9s do not like wolf, or any Russian steel cased ammo. I hear the primers are harder. Not sure. I finally shot it all up. Only good thing was it helped me with clearing the gun while shooting at the range.

E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    I have shot nearly 1,000 rounds of steel cased Tulammo through my .223 Wylde chambered AR. My rifle is a PSA upper and frankenstein lower based on an Aero receiver. I use both PMags and D & H Aluminum mags. I have had zero issues with Tulammo. I am not a major rifle cleaner, okay I am a rarely clean my rifle person, and I still have had no issues. Mostly shot during 2 gun matches. I have never formally grouped the ammo. My recommendation is if you find it for a decent price buy it. I have no personal experience with Wolf or Red Army ammo.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have an AR that I've almost shot steel 223 through it exclusively. Not necessarily on purpose but just cost/availability and I've have zero issues to date. I do clean after each use regardless of the ammo used on all of my weapons. But no issues with the steel case.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Get American. Get Brass. Start handloading if you can. At all my ranges are thousands of .223/5.56 brass available on the ground for free to pick up. Also on the ground are the rusted steel cases (and live rounds that Noob Shooter couldnt get to work in his rifle. Russion etc.) So to answer the OP. No to steel cases. People that say, well it's all I could get" have not tried hard enough to shoot American made Brass rounds. My Opinion..

Love kisses and teddy bears.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    If it works in your rifle, go for it. Be advised that most steel cased ammo also as a steel jacketed bullet, and some ranges have a problem with that. The steel jacket will also caused increased barrel wear if you shoot a bunch, but the cost savings on the ammo will more than pay for a new barrel later.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I think it's past the time to be looking for the brand and bullet you want. Its now at the point you buy what you can if it cycles in your firearms stock up.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As has been stated....If you need the ammo run it at your own risk. There are issues with this stuff and I will not run it in my rifles but I kept enough reserves to weather this storm or I hope so any way.

Your call.

And if you are looking for deals there just arent any right now.

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    No thank you. I don't run steel case. I have never used it and don't plan to. Your guns, run what you want. It has always amazed me that people spend big money for nice guns and then buy the cheapest ammo they can find to shoot thru it.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Would love to reload but I cant find primers to save my life unless I wanna pay triple or more for them from private parties

Unfortunately its a bad time to try and get into reloading. Worse is it probably wont get better. I'm starting to think its not gun control, it's ammo control and now is the time.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    No thank you. I don't run steel case. I have never used it and don't plan to. Your guns, run what you want. It has always amazed me that people spend big money for nice guns and then buy the cheapest ammo they can find to shoot thru it.

I disagree. I think brass will store better long-term but regarding quality/reliability etc you're not going to blow up your rifle with steel cased ammo unless you're running thousands of rounds through it non-stop and I think brass would handle this better. If steel casings destroy your rifle you probably have a ****ty rifle.

Regarding reliability I have never had an issue with even the ****tiest steel ammo.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/brass-vs-steel-ammo/

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I disagree. I think brass will store better long-term but regarding quality/reliability etc you're not going to blow up your rifle with steel cased ammo unless you're running thousands of rounds through it non-stop and I think brass would handle this better. If steel casings destroy your rifle you probably have a ****ty rifle.

Regarding reliability I have never had an issue with even the ****tiest steel ammo.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/brass-vs-steel-ammo/
    Please tell me the part you disagree with. Where did I post anything about storing ammo or say anything about blowing up a rifle? Let me explain my post to you. I said I don't run steel case ammo and I don't like it. I then tried to make a comparison to buying a high horsepower car and running Speedway regular gasoline in it and expect it to run like it was designed to. I don't have a clue what you read.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I've run Wolf steel case in my 10.2" SBR to the tune of about 8,000 rounds and haven't had an issue. I've also put about 3,000 rounds of brass through the same rifle along the way. Probably 7-8 different rifle classes + range training. I've never had concerns personally about steel case. YMMV

Top Bottom