• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Loaded a few up for 9mm using LEE 4 die set with seating and factory crimp in separate stages. All dies were installed in turret according to LEE's suggested depth. After seating one of the bullets and before performing a light crimp found reason to pull the bullet. I've done this before with other calibers and know how much effort is required or at least thought I did, all I have is an impact/hammer puller. This son of a gun just does not want to pull. I'm not putting a large bell on the case before seating, just the same excessive pressure is not required to seat the bullet. Are powder coated bullets harder to pull by nature or do I have something cranked down too hard on the press?

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Are you whacking that impact puller hard on a concrete floor? I have pulled seriously crimped JHP .357 bullets, took 2 or 3 hard whacks straight down with the puller. I have no experience with PC bullets but I would think they should pull, especially when not yet crimped.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    Sometimes you can put 'm in a seating die and push 'em down just a bit. This seems to break them free and they pull easier.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Make sure the seating die isn’t inadvertently putting a crimp on the case. With the lock nut backed off, and the seating adjustment backed off, run the die down on a fully raised case. When you feel resistance back the die off a quarter to half turn and lock it down with the nut.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Appreciate the suggestions. Went down last nite and reset all the die depths even more liberally thinking I could have screwed up previously, same results. Hammer against a hardwood block atop a hard counter as some years ago I cracked a puller on concrete.

traderjoe

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 3, 2020
    South Bend area
    When I pull bullets with the hammer/puller I found that a wood/hardwood block wasn't cutting it. I have to use my vice or concrete floor. And I too have broken a hammer. Just the cost of being a reloader

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Hammered them out against the vise today. These PCRN are advertised as .356 and actually measure with dial calipers on the high side of that.

Currently setting here wondering how many load .355 successfully in 9mm?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Dont use the hammer on concrete. doesnt work well and tends to break the hammer. Trust me, I did.

Throw the hammer away and get a collet puller. I did and it works MUUUUUUCH better.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Sometimes the hammer is still the way to go. Most of the time the collet puller works, but occasionally it just slips on tight powder coated lead bullets. Yes, I've broke one. :rolleyes:

Sometimes it's just best to call the round a loss and throw it away.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Yea, I've looked at the taper on these short bullets while studying collects online and thought hmmmm, would I be wasting $ thinking this will pull it.

The biggest concern regarding this experience is will this scenario produce excessive chamber pressure?

Of course in the current climate the next concern is "Man how do I salvage the brass for reuse", you know waste not want not

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    When I pulled some 7.62x51 M118 bullets i had to go outside to my concrete step and hammer away. It finally gave in. They are sealed around the bullets also. It makes it much harder to pull.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    There's a fine line between hard enough to pull and hard enough to break the hammer with that type of puller. I too have found the surface matters with them. the faux-hardwood floor of my house is woefully inadequate. my butcher block reloading bench is better but leaves dents so leaves room for improvement. the anvil side of the vice works best.

The problem with concrete is the surface is irregular... nearly microscopic ridges and valleys. hit a ridge and you over-concentrate the force and crack the puller. I imagine flat metal would be best.

Last edited:

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    You know these PC bullets actually measure out slightly larger than .356, you don't suppose that's part of the issue?

In any event I've ordered a sizer to see if there's a difference.

Top Bottom