• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Everyone knows you’re supposed to keep primers next to the Cubans in the humidor, especially now, when they’re similarly priced.

Honestly, my dad has some that have been stored in a garage for decades that work reliably, so I doubt it makes much of a difference unless they were actually wet

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I have a small stock of large rifle primers that's been stored in an unheated non air conditioned garage for 3 or four years. Will this any effect on their reliability?

I never had a problem with primers. Mine are stored in the mechanics room. My uncle that taught me how to reload kept his in a non climate controlled garage.

We don't load thousands of rounds at a time though.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Mine are also kept in my garage. It’s semi controlled climate wise. It’s varies from 50-100* throughout the year. I do have a dehumidifier that I keep set at 45% to balance things out. Keeps my powder and primers dry and keeps my tools from rusting.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I stored mine in old wood ammo creates the large rifle primers im working with now are 23 years old have not found a bad one yet. The magnum primers are setting off 338 Lapua Magnum rds with consistency so I must have stored them correctly.

Now I use them plastic totes and put a moisture eater in each check it one every few months so far no moisture seems to get into them totes.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    I'm at the NW corner of MS. The last hurricane that moved through the area left us 2.4 inches of rain. The next evening I'm sitting at the fire pit and spotted a silver dot in the dirt. It's a primer, no clue how long it had been there, maybe 5 years. It was full of wet dirt. Well, it's no good, won't fire so into the pit it went. 10 seconds and there was a loud pop that sent ash flying everywhere.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I'm at the NW corner of MS. The last hurricane that moved through the area left us 2.4 inches of rain. The next evening I'm sitting at the fire pit and spotted a silver dot in the dirt. It's a primer, no clue how long it had been there, maybe 5 years. It was full of wet dirt. Well, it's no good, won't fire so into the pit it went. 10 seconds and there was a loud pop that sent ash flying everywhere.

Priming compound is desensitized when wet but perfectly fine when dried out again. They load it into the priming cups as a moist paste.

Oil will also desensitize them but won’t dry out as readily. Neither completely deactivates them, that requires chemically altering the styphenate, or more simply just detonating them.

Desensitized means a firing pin strike might not detonate them, but they still can explode under the right conditions.

Primer storage has far more to do with preventing corrosion of the metal.

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    Always kept mine in a sealed ammo can. Originally for avoiding moisture and in case they decided to go off. Good point about them being made with the wet paste, so I guess I'll keep them there just for safety reasons.

Top Bottom