• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jglevyjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I wonder why no one has wanted to establish a new Primer manufacturing company? There is such huge demand now, and likely to continue for the foreseeable future. It strikes me that this would be a fantastic business to jump into. I’m sure there are lots of legal permits and hurdles to jump through with this sort of enterprise, but with the potential profits it seems that folks expert in this manufacturing arena would relish becoming part of a new company like this. Of the 4 companies that currently make primers in the U.S. (Federal, CCI, Remington (or whoever bought the primer portion) and Winchester), their technology could be stale and, like Tesla’s innovation, design a process that would evolve into mass production that is more efficient (cheaper), safer, better quality, and vendable than the 4 existing companies. If such a company should IPO, I for one would certainly be an investor.

Comments solicited!

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    With the cyclical nature of ammunition, I would be worried that by the time it was built, demand would be back down, and there wouldn't be a market. With the reputation of the other brands have, you would have to under cut them on price for users to pick them up. I think a more logical question is why aren't we getting non-US primers shipped into the country to meet demand. I used to find Sellier & Bellot or Wolf primers, but haven't seen them for years.
    --Rick

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    With the cyclical nature of ammunition, I would be worried that by the time it was built, demand would be back down, and there wouldn't be a market. With the reputation of the other brands have, you would have to under cut them on price for users to pick them up. I think a more logical question is why aren't we getting non-US primers shipped into the country to meet demand. I used to find Sellier & Bellot or Wolf primers, but haven't seen them for years.
    --Rick

I would agree with this statement.

We can get Wolf and S&B ammo but I haven't seen their primers in a few years also....I was buying them when they were $16.00-$18.00 per 1K.

WOW...who else remembers those day seems like a distant memory....kind of like when it paid to reload shotgun shells....LOL

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I don't know how much excessive capacity the foreign makers would have, but even if they did have the capacity you have to figure in the time for permits and legal hoops they have to jump through before they can even think about finding a shipper.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    I guess all the ammo plants are running about the same. I talked to a cousin that works at the Winchester Oxford, MS plant. They only product 22's, 223, 556 ammo and sr primers. With the pandemic they are down to 4 primer machines instead of 10 to give space between workers. 2 lines of 22's and 2 lines of sr primers. With the contracts they have they are running very little for retail sales.
    In a report I read the pandemic has shut down production some in the USA. Other countries shut down completely. We may see our first shipment from Italy in January. Our last shipment was in May. Plus we have a limit of how much can be shipped from other countries.

Indy574

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Marshall County
    Can’t speak on why we don’t have Wolf and S&B primers, which is interesting. I was told from my source that manufactures are holding back and filling there warehouses. The price for the primers are negotiated the previous year, and since the new price has been established at an increased rate, they are holding back until January. We will see I guess.

Top Bottom