Are There ANY Sources For Reloading Powder That Have Stock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Specialized

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 97.8%
    87   2   1
    Jan 26, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Just getting back into reloading, have my new XL750 and all the trimmings along with bullets and brass, but I can't find suitable powder or small rifle primers to save my soul. Can somebody point me to sources of in-stock AA2230 and small rifle primers? Any good tips would be much appreciated.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Call Copper Custom Armament in Valpo. Not sure if they have that in stock but if not, they can probably point you in the right direction.

Address: 2600 Beech St, Valparaiso, IN 46383, United States

Phone: +1 219 841 6532

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    Good luck finding power and primers that's not overly priced now.
    I have 6 stores that sell reloading supplies within 40 miles of me. All have empty shelves.
    Online supply stores are out of stock.
    Online gun related bid sights are super high.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Try Kemp's in Michigan City. They've has supplies in stock as of 2 weeks ago. In order to buy primers you have to buy bullets though

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Primers are almost impossible to find at pre-pandemic prices. Powder is easier to source, although, you may have to hunt around a bit. I work at Cabelas in Noblesville and we have a decent supply of powder. If we start to run low, we usually get a good shipment in to resupply. What I tell people is that if you come to the store with 2 or 3 different powder choices, you stand a really good chance with walking out the door with something in hand. You may not always get your first choice but your odds get better if you have a couple of choices on standby.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Sportsman’s Warehouse in Fort Wayne has a variety of powders in stock. Have to ask to see the list of current inventory at the gun counter. Was just there and got some W748

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Primers are almost impossible to find at pre-pandemic prices. Powder is easier to source, although, you may have to hunt around a bit. I work at Cabelas in Noblesville and we have a decent supply of powder. If we start to run low, we usually get a good shipment in to resupply. What I tell people is that if you come to the store with 2 or 3 different powder choices, you stand a really good chance with walking out the door with something in hand. You may not always get your first choice but your odds get better if you have a couple of choices on standby.

Since you work at Cabela's I have a question for you and I am no where near Noblesville but still curious: when was the last time your store got in a shipment of any small pistol primers? I ask because I never see them online for sale anymore other than Gunbroker. Back in June I found some at the Bass Pro store in Cincinnati. Those counter workers there told me to try and constantly check back because at that time they said they were getting occasional shipments but a lot has changed since June so I was wondering what you are seeing in relation to small pistol primers being delivered to your store?

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Since you work at Cabela's I have a question for you and I am no where near Noblesville but still curious: when was the last time your store got in a shipment of any small pistol primers? I ask because I never see them online for sale anymore other than Gunbroker. Back in June I found some at the Bass Pro store in Cincinnati. Those counter workers there told me to try and constantly check back because at that time they said they were getting occasional shipments but a lot has changed since June so I was wondering what you are seeing in relation to small pistol primers being delivered to your store?

Maybe June or July since we had a decent shipment of small pistol primers come in to the store. We have had a small amount of shotshell, magnum, and match rifle primers come in but nothing really significant for pistol primers since probably July. With that said, have been getting quite a bit of ammunition in the days since the election. It never stays on the shelf very long but we are getting it in. I wondered what was going on until I ran across this article: https://observer-me.com/2020/11/04/news/the-ammo-shortage-shouldnt-last-much-longer/

The Cabela's CEO is quoted in the article as saying that the run on guns and ammunition is winding down. Hopefully, this means primers will begin to be available again this winter too. I like to look at Gun Broker to watch trends. Price going up, demand is surging. Price going down, demand is lessening. Not perfect but that is what I do to gauge demand.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Maybe June or July since we had a decent shipment of small pistol primers come in to the store. We have had a small amount of shotshell, magnum, and match rifle primers come in but nothing really significant for pistol primers since probably July. With that said, have been getting quite a bit of ammunition in the days since the election. It never stays on the shelf very long but we are getting it in. I wondered what was going on until I ran across this article: https://observer-me.com/2020/11/04/news/the-ammo-shortage-shouldnt-last-much-longer/

The Cabela's CEO is quoted in the article as saying that the run on guns and ammunition is winding down. Hopefully, this means primers will begin to be available again this winter too. I like to look at Gun Broker to watch trends. Price going up, demand is surging. Price going down, demand is lessening. Not perfect but that is what I do to gauge demand.

Thank you for the Information. I appreciate your insight.

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    I can only offer what I have done that works. I literally (smart phone is king here and keep my CC on my person at all times while at work) check my favorite powder websites literally daily and stores like Cabela's, BP and Kemphs almost daily. I have successfully bought IMR4831, IMR4064, IMR4166, IMR3031, H4198, H-CF223, RL-16, RL-25, and RL-26 in the last 6-8 months. Also landed SM/RFL LRG/RFL and LRG/RFLM primers this way. Thankfully don't need any SM or LRG HG primers. Prices were not horrible either.
    Just bought IMR IMR4166 about 10 days ago from Powder valley, but I do not know if it's still in stock and was my latest powder purchase. Bought IMR 4064 OTC about 4-5 weeks ago.
    All the powder and primers I am buying now are for JIC as I don't actually need any.

I only buy on line if I have no other choice as I strongly believe in patronizing the local brick and mortar stores when ever possible.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom