Small Base Body Die? Small Base Full Length Die? Type S Full Length Bushing Die?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    Long story long,

I bought a 'Match Built' M1A years ago that was put together by USMC 2112 SSgt. Isaac 'Chicken Mack' McCaskill of Cassat Gun Works in SC. The rifle was built back in the early 2000's as a 'backup' match rifle for high power and was barely (if ever) shot. It's one of the most accurate semi-auto rifles I own, and it's a LOT of fun to shoot because of that.

That being said, I have YET to be able to reload for it because my Redding Competition Dies don't size the base of my brass small enough to chamber in that rifle. I have checked the brass I size with that same die in other M14's/M1a's and while tight, they DO chamber and the bolt locks up(tighter in one more than the other).

So I plugged a question a few years back on another forum and was told I need a 'small base die'...well, I'm finally ready to revisit reloading for this particular rifle, and I found 3 different options from Redding (yes, i'm a 'buy once cry once' kinda guy when it comes to reloading). So does anyone know if I should get a Small Base Body Die, a Small Base Full Length Die, or a Type S Full Length Bushing Die to complete the task at hand?

I hate the idea of over-sizing cases, but not as much as I hate the idea of trying to buy factory match quality ammo right now! I've never used a Type S bushing die, but they seem fairly straight forward if you're using it on brass from the same rifle all the time (this is my only .308 with chambering issues from my current dies).

Is it worth the cost/headache? Will I still be able to maintain some good accuracy with my reloads if utilizing one of these options? OR, should I sell the rifle to someone that can afford thousands of rounds of M118 and just buy something else?

Thanks in advance, gentlemen!

Semper Fi!

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I have run into problems with sizing dies for my 308 PSS Remington. It has a VERY tight chamber. Let me look around at what I have in the way of different sizing dies.

Hopefully someone else will drop in with the correct answer.

Paging AmmoManAaron. Might drop him a PM. He has forgotten more than I ever knew.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    My M1A has the Springfield medium weight stainless National Match barrel.

When I was campaigning that rifle in Highpower I used this die set. I was able to dial in a consistent .005 shoulder set back, got lots of cycles on the brass, no function issues, no failures.
    001.jpg

Maybe this will help you find your solution. :dunno:

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    So I guess it looks like the Redding equivalent to your solution would be the small base full length sizer die, right?

My Redding Competition die set has a Mic on the top of the bullet seating die, so I think that is likened to the Gold Medal die. Is the Precision Mic .308 Win is just to 'check' the seating depth and is not actually part of a die?

Assuming you kept the ammo for that rifle separate from other rifles and reused/sized back the shoulder as little as possible, or is that not the case and you used that ammo in all your .308's, but just sized for the smallest chamber?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I NEVER recommend the use of a Small Base FL die.

...except for the Garand and -14. :)

-Nate

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Oh. And you NEED a copy of Glen Zediker’s “Handloading for Competition”, and time to read it.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    So I guess it looks like the Redding equivalent to your solution would be the small base full length sizer die, right?

My Redding Competition die set has a Mic on the top of the bullet seating die, so I think that is likened to the Gold Medal die. Is the Precision Mic .308 Win is just to 'check' the seating depth and is not actually part of a die?

Assuming you kept the ammo for that rifle separate from other rifles and reused/sized back the shoulder as little as possible, or is that not the case and you used that ammo in all your .308's, but just sized for the smallest chamber?

Correct.

That was the only .308 rifle I was reloading for at the time and dedicated the brass to that rifle.

Oh. And you NEED a copy of Glen Zediker’s “Handloading for Competition”, and time to read it.

Also correct. But that isn't the book you borrowed from me, is it?

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    I NEVER recommend the use of a Small Base FL die.

...except for the Garand and -14. :)

-Nate

Excellent advice, and trust me, I've tried everything else I can think of (rotated case 1/4 turn and resized twice or three times for each case, kept brass for that rifle separate, etc.) and I didn't want to have to buy something extra to reload for just one rifle, but it's one I don't really want to get rid of since it was built by a 2112, and I just like the way it shoots (it makes me look like I actually know how to shoot sometimes!).

I suppose the purchase of a small base die beats buying match ammo at $1.50/rd and up.

I've seen that book for sale at Creedmoor Sports, I think. I'll have to pick it up and throw it on the pile of winter reading since I never got a Covid-cation like some others did.

Regardless, thanks for the response!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I suppose the purchase of a small base die beats buying match ammo at $1.50/rd and up.

You already know that you can build more accurate ammo for that Casset rifle than any ammo you can buy off the shelf, if you could find it right now.

The Precison Mic gave me actual chamber OAL. Then I used the micrometer seating die to set for .0010 - .0020 off the lands, that's when you really start to see the groups improve.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Also correct. But that isn't the book you borrowed from me, is it?

Shoot, I hope not! My copy is so worn and carbon-thumbprinted, I’d hate to let anybody see it. But it’s served me well, I think.

I believe I borrowed your copy of Brennan’s Long Range book, mebbe.

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Long story long,

I bought a 'Match Built' M1A years ago that was put together by USMC 2112 SSgt. Isaac 'Chicken Mack' McCaskill of Cassat Gun Works in SC. The rifle was built back in the early 2000's as a 'backup' match rifle for high power and was barely (if ever) shot. It's one of the most accurate semi-auto rifles I own, and it's a LOT of fun to shoot because of that.

That being said, I have YET to be able to reload for it because my Redding Competition Dies don't size the base of my brass small enough to chamber in that rifle. I have checked the brass I size with that same die in other M14's/M1a's and while tight, they DO chamber and the bolt locks up(tighter in one more than the other).

So I plugged a question a few years back on another forum and was told I need a 'small base die'...well, I'm finally ready to revisit reloading for this particular rifle, and I found 3 different options from Redding (yes, i'm a 'buy once cry once' kinda guy when it comes to reloading). So does anyone know if I should get a Small Base Body Die, a Small Base Full Length Die, or a Type S Full Length Bushing Die to complete the task at hand?

I hate the idea of over-sizing cases, but not as much as I hate the idea of trying to buy factory match quality ammo right now! I've never used a Type S bushing die, but they seem fairly straight forward if you're using it on brass from the same rifle all the time (this is my only .308 with chambering issues from my current dies).

Is it worth the cost/headache? Will I still be able to maintain some good accuracy with my reloads if utilizing one of these options? OR, should I sell the rifle to someone that can afford thousands of rounds of M118 and just buy something else?

Thanks in advance, gentlemen!

Semper Fi!

Below are three types of Forster .308/7.62 dies and how they size. And if you are resizing cases fired in another chamber you will need a small base die.

Chambers and dies vary in size and the resized case body for a semi-auto should be .003 to .005 smaller than its fired diameter. This allows the case to spring back from the chamber walls and extract reliably. Also remember the brass will spring back after sizing and varies with brass hardness.

gFCObJR.png

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Are you using brass that has been fired only in this gun? I have had guns in the same caliber but brass was not interchangeable no matter how many times I sized it. All were factory chambers, none were cut with custom reamers.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    All these guys have you covered. I looked and don't own a SB 308 die. Rats. Looking at my reloading log book, my problem with the PSS was headspace not case body.

Top Bottom