• ...and so much more!
  • Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I have quite a bit of Federal 22 ammo that I recently started to shoot. About every third or fourth round fails to eject. I have cycled it through a Marlin model 60, two different Ruger 10-22's and a Ruger SR-22 and it fails in each of them. No issues with my revolvers or bolt action rifles. I have fired CCI, Remington, Winchester and the cheap stuff from RK without issues.

Has anyone else had issues with Federal rimfire?

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    I used Federal bulk ammo in my Model 60 last time out and didn't have any problems. I shoot about 50-60 rounds through it.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    Most semi-auto 22s rifles function better with high velocity ammo. Standard velocity ammo may be the problem.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I should have put this in the OP. It is Federal high velocity, 36 grain hollow point. I have never had issues with any ammo in the SR22 until now but this is the first Federal ammo I have cycled through it.

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Had the same problem with the Federal Champion target bulk pack. Wasn't reliable in 10-22, MK IV or M&P 22 compact. It did function in my TX-22 but it eats anything.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I should have put this in the OP. It is Federal high velocity, 36 grain hollow point. I have never had issues with any ammo in the SR22 until now but this is the first Federal ammo I have cycled through it.

Could if been rushed through production to meet demand.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    That sounds like the same Federal Ammo I was using, but I forgot to mention that mine is 10-12 years old. If it is new it could be from rushed production like 1775usmarine stated above.​

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I have never had a good experience with those Federal 525 round bulk packs. In my opinion, they are almost as bad as Remington Thunderbolts.

My cheap-o .22 ammo for quite a while has been Federal Automatch and CCI Blazer. Neither of those are high end, but they have been much more reliable for me than than the 500+ round bulk packs from Federal, Winchester, or Remington.

bsmithg19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Blackford County
    I have quite a bit of Federal 22 ammo that I recently started to shoot. About every third or fourth round fails to eject. I have cycled it through a Marlin model 60, two different Ruger 10-22's and a Ruger SR-22 and it fails in each of them. No issues with my revolvers or bolt action rifles. I have fired CCI, Remington, Winchester and the cheap stuff from RK without issues.

Has anyone else had issues with Federal rimfire?

Out of all the 22lr I run, federal is what I use the most. I use it in my M&P 15-22, 10/22, and Marlin 60. I very seldom have issues, but I'd say in a 500rd brick I probably have a couple rounds that give me a problem. Once I clear them I'll shoot them in the next mag and they seem to work fine. Its just part of shooting 22lr in a semi-auto.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    IME Federal can be problematic. One batch will run fine, next will be nothing but problems. I've about given up all U.S. made rimfire ammo except for CCI. CCI may not be the most accurate but I can safely say I've never had a functional issue with it.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Well... I just ran 50 rounds of Federal 40 grain ammo through my SR22 and the 10-22 without a single issue. I'll be shooting the 36 grain ammo through the bolt actions. Thanks for the heads up.

None of my 22s like 36gr ammo.
    40gr solids is all I run.

llamant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Most semi-auto 22s rifles function better with high velocity ammo. Standard velocity ammo may be the problem.

Shooting high velocity in a Marlin Model 60 can break the hammer. It should be fed standard velocity.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Strange, that Federal 36 grain HV HP runs great in all my .22s. Glock 44, 10-22, S&W traget .22, S&W AR15-22. Not the most accurate ammo but in over 2 525 round boxes in the G44 I have not had one malfunction.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom