• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MeltonLaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Downtown Indy
    At the show today I picked up 250 FMJ 230gr. RN .45 bullets for $30. This box was labeled as Star Reloading Co. Inc. ... Indianapolis, IN. Anyone know anything about this brand. Upon opening the boxes there was a invoice that was dated to 1991.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    They used to be the best source of local bullets period - made right here in Marion county.

They closed their doors about 3-4 years ago (maybe less). Shame too. I used to be able to walk in and buy 1k 40 cal 180 FMJ bullets for $40.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    Star used to be located up off Zionsville road on Rockhampton Court ---They specialized in cast pistol bullets and reloaded pistol ammo. they sold most of the ammo to PD's for range ammo but got out of that business and only made bullets till they closed sometime around 2000? I believe. I ocassionally bought their ammo for resale when I worked the local gunshows back in the 80's

Don't know why they went out of business but their products were good quality.

Steve

MeltonLaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Downtown Indy
    Upon inspection the bullets I purchased are pretty good. Now I haven't measured or weighed them, just looked at them and felt them. This informal inspection leads me to believe that I didn't get ripped off. It also helps that the invoice specifies that 250 bullets in 1991 were $27 and I paid $30 for the same number of bullets but 18 years later.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I believe their bullets were swaged rather than cast. I bought the last of their .45 250gn sometime around 2001-02 when they were closing. The bullets were accurate, but leaded something fierce since they were soft.

jlm223

Aim Small Miss Small
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Muncie
    I got several boxes when I purchased a bunch of reloading stuff this year did not know any thing about Star bullets and have not reloaded any lead my thought was if things got bad I still would have bullets to reload. Some were in coffee cans I had to measure and weigh to figure out what they were.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I believe their bullets were swaged rather than cast. I bought the last of their .45 250gn sometime around 2001-02 when they were closing. The bullets were accurate, but leaded something fierce since they were soft.

You are correct. Star lead bullets are swaged, not cast. I still have several thousand still in boxes ready to reload. They are a very accurate bullet with mild loads. Their jacketed bullets are ok for plinking, but don't expect to get bullseye accuracy out of them. With the demand on ammo and reloading components, they probably wished that they would have waited out the lull and stayed in business a few more years...hindsight being what it is.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    The last few times I was there at Star (2001-2? can't remember exactly), I was told the owner wanted to retire. Why he didn't sell the Co., I don't know. It was a blow to the shooting/reloading community when it closed. You had a reputable co. that sold components and good reloaded ammo close by with no shipping charge.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The last few times I was there at Star (2001-2? can't remember exactly), I was told the owner wanted to retire. Why he didn't sell the Co., I don't know. It was a blow to the shooting/reloading community when it closed. You had a reputable co. that sold components and good reloaded ammo close by with no shipping charge.

He was kind of different. I know that there were a few investors ready to buy his company, but he decided he didn't want to sell it.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I used to have some of the Star remanufactured ammo. Wow, it was darn good for the price and for remans. Very accurate out of several of my revolvers despite being over 20 years old!

I wish I knew their recipe (powder wise), I have some wadcutters from Zero that look and feel VERY similar to the Star ones (from the ammo, I pulled some for comparison). Zero seems to have taken over where Star left off, unfortunately, they are out of town and shipping is :P .

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    When I first started reloading a friend told me about them, they had a wide selection for 45acp and you could get once fired brass there also, It was a nice set-up

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    Jim at Star did sell the Business and all the equipment went to South Americia
    He owned it for like 45 years or so.
    He had a lot of low ball offers on it but nothing tangable then an offer from way down south
    I got the last bunch of bullets out of the place
    I think Jim was pushing 73 when he closed his doors

bulletbaron

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Sta's Equipment

Just to clarify what is in this thread, Precision Cartridge purchased all of the Ammunition Reloading machinery from Star in about 1998, after rebuilding, repairing & upgrading this equipment, selling off to other reloaders duplicate machinery, it was put into production, thus increasing the productivity of the corporation. As for the bullet producing machinery, it was utilized for a few years and once the raw material costs became ridiculous, Jim Russell ran out his material inventory and retired, the equipment was later sold to Aguila Ammunition in Mexico. Last I knew, Jim was still the owner of the land & buildings on Rock Hampton Court and was hoping a developer would purchase these assets since the area has seen a HUGE increase in commercial development.

Top Bottom