• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I got one of the Midsouth Shooters catalogs the other day. They are carrying a line of reloading equipment that they call "Smart Reloader". Their "Smart Reloader" Omega single-stage press is steel and is priced at $29.90. I am looking very hard at their Hand Priming Tool for $15.75 and their 750gr electronic scale for $19.99. These items look good in the catalog and are priced right. I've bought from them in the past and their prices and service were very good. Their website is Midsouth Shooters Supply, Reloading, Air Guns, Optics, Muzzleloaders & Shooting Supplies Anybody have any experience with the "Smart Reloader" line from Midsouth Shooters?

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Some of the Smart Reloader stuff works very well. IMO for a press, or a scale you would be MUCH better off spending a little more and going with one of the major brands. My experience with the cheaper electronic scales has not been good. If you are loading lighter range loads, you can afford to be a little off. If you are loading near max, then accuracy of weight becomes extremely important. Spend a few extra bucks, and start with a balance scale. They tend to be more accurate than the cheaper electronics. I would go with the Lee, Hornady, or RCBS as far as the press goes. Spend a little more now, you will be glad you did later.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I actually have top-of-the-line reloading equipment, but I was looking at the little e-scale as an extra. It looked like it might be convenient. I don't have a hand primer, but for the price, if the Smart Reloader one works well, I thought I might give it a try. I was impressed that the press is of steel construction, as some are not. Which Smart Reloader products have you used?

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    +l on what keymaster said. Go to natchez website and you can pickup a lee single stage cheaper than that. I would stay away from the cheapo ele scales, you can get a lee beam scale for 20 bucks and it will be faster and more acurate than the ele one. I have a cheapo ele scale but don't use it cause I'm faster on my dillon beam scale. Lee makes a good powder thrower for 20 bucks called perfect powder measure, I have used these and like them. Good luck

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The little twenty dollar Lee balance beam scale gets a lot of bad reviews on sites like Midway, but I don't want to start a war of Lee vs. et al. I am more interested in folks' experiences with this Smart Reloader line. Maybe it is just too new.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I have a Smart Reloader tumbler, and their kinetic bullet puller. They have both worked well for me...no issues. I have had TERRIBLE luck with the cheap digital scales from Smart Reloader, Midway, and even Hornady. They tend to drift, will not stabilize, and are very temperature sensitive. I finally went to a lab scale. One of the calibers that i reload is 5.7 x 28, and accuracy is an absolute must with this caliber. As far as the press goes, I have no personal experience, but for that price what do you have to lose?

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    330   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I read the reviews on the smart reloading equipment, and swore it off.... until I got curious.

I started with one of those $20 digital scales and a kinetic bullet puller. Both are decent quality, and the scale is dead on. I know, surprised me for $20 too.

After those good experiences, I also bought an ISD "chargemaster" at the show for $225 - about $125 less than the RCBS. Its also spot on. I was VERY skeptical about buying one, especially after I read the reviews for the reloading equipment, but I figured that since its not going to be mechanically stressed in any way (like a reloading press) then it should work, right?

As for the hand primer, I would go with the Lee Hand Primer system. I just replaced my first one after many years. Its inexpensive, and I've reloaded a few thousand rounds in the last week without a single hiccup, so it can stand up to heavy usage.

It was the reviews for the reloading press that made me turn up my nose at SR equipment, but I'm really glad I took a second look at the scales.

My opinion, pass on the press, but accessories, hey, why not? Seem to work well for me.

nfp6d0.jpg

2m7cbqo.jpg

Last edited:

perminator

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    east side indy
    i bought a bunch of their ammo boxes ive got a bunch of dillon boxes but i really like the way that they hinged the smart reloaders instead of everyone elses molded hinge that is prone to failure.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I ended up buying the Smart Reloader Hand Priming Tool. It was a big disappointment. It wasn't properly machined and had design flaws, and didn't work well at all. It was basically junk. I sent it back to Midsouth.

wolfkiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Smartreloader SR750

I just bought a SR750 from Natchez, before I saw 4 out of 5 people thought it sucked on Cabella's site Cabela's - Smartreloader® SR750 Digital Reloading Powder Scale customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

I haven't run the scale through it's paces, but they shipped me the combo kit that came with a powder trickler and two powder scoops, I will say the trickler looks pretty poorly made. It was cheap, and I'm not saying that it won't do the job, but my first impressions are, "not impressed with the workmanship"

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I read the reviews on the smart reloading equipment, and swore it off.... until I got curious.

I started with one of those $20 digital scales and a kinetic bullet puller. Both are decent quality, and the scale is dead on. I know, surprised me for $20 too.

After those good experiences, I also bought an ISD "chargemaster" at the show for $225 - about $125 less than the RCBS. Its also spot on. I was VERY skeptical about buying one, especially after I read the reviews for the reloading equipment, but I figured that since its not going to be mechanically stressed in any way (like a reloading press) then it should work, right?

As for the hand primer, I would go with the Lee Hand Primer system. I just replaced my first one after many years. Its inexpensive, and I've reloaded a few thousand rounds in the last week without a single hiccup, so it can stand up to heavy usage.

It was the reviews for the reloading press that made me turn up my nose at SR equipment, but I'm really glad I took a second look at the scales.

My opinion, pass on the press, but accessories, hey, why not? Seem to work well for me.

nfp6d0.jpg

2m7cbqo.jpg

Does your Charge master load the pan very fast?

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    I've been looking at those combo units for a while. I don't know how good that one is, but Natchez has the RCBS chargemaster combo for $279.95 and if you spend $300 in RCBS product buy the 11th of March you can get a $50 rebate. For that difference, I'd probalby have to lean towards sticking with a winner.

http://www.rcbs.com/pdf/RC184_RCBSCoupon.pdf

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana

nfp6d0.jpg

2m7cbqo.jpg

I bought these scales since they come reccomended by a pro. Thank you sir! :yesway:

JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    I have the smart reloader nano tumbler and love it. I also have the sr750 scale I don't like it. It seems to be all over the place even after calibrating and changing the batteries. I spent a little more for a hornady gs 1500 scale and it works great.

Top Bottom