• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I have done a few trades, purchases of new guns and special orders with Sean now at Atkinson's. He is really trying hard to change the perception of gun shops on the South Side. His shop is very clean and professional. I have noticed that he shakes everyone's hand that comes in the door and greats them as well. He never seems to have a smart reply when asked questions.

This is a big change from some of the shops on the south side. Most times I stand at the counters waiting for help until someone comes out of the back 20 minutes later. He works with you fair on trades and his prices. He even gave me a freebie accessory since he recognized I had done so much business with him.

Sean is a soon to be retiring firefighter from Brownsburg who has started the shop for his retirement job. He is also a certified instructor for active shooter situations. Hope you guys check it out. We should be supporting shops like these who have great customer service and treat their customers right.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I He is really trying hard to change the perception of gun shops on the South Side.

I'm curious...

With one semi-notable exception that I can think of, what, exactly, *is* the perception of gun shops on the South Side?

Dirty & smoke-filled? Haphazard, dingy, and full of foul-mouthed hillbillies and/or holster-sniffers? Cop-shop only?

Not picking at you personally, clfergus. I promise. This is a general question to all using your words.

Note - I like Atkinson Firearms myself.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I'm curious...

With one semi-notable exception that I can think of, what, exactly, *is* the perception of gun shops on the South Side?

Dirty & smoke-filled? Haphazard, dingy, and full of foul-mouthed hillbillies and/or holster-sniffers? Cop-shop only?

Not picking at you personally, clfergus. I promise. This is a general question to all using your words.

Note - I like Atkinson Firearms myself.

No offense taken, probably a poor choice of words on my part to lump everyone in together.

You are correct that some of the shops are smoked filled, automatically eliminated from my list. Smoke gives me a sore throat within 3 minutes of being around it. Former smoker myself of 6 years.

There are some really great shops on the Southside. I love shopping at USDS, great group of guys. Bradis has always done me right and so has the Outdoorsman.

Where I was going though is the extra level of service Atkinson's goes to compared to these and all others. The lack of overall customer service in most shops is bad. Maybe my experience has been different but I have read on the board numerous times about guys and gals going into our shops and the employees bull****ting with the local guys who hang around the shops. Employees being on their phones or outside taking smoke breaks while you stand around and wait for service. You never know if the salesman or saleswoman you get is gonna talk to you like a dog at some of these shops.

When I go into Atkinson's, even from day 1 he offered me a soda. He has had pizza and donuts on the table for his staff and asked if I would like some. To him, all I am is a customer but he made it a point to introduce himself and shake my hand. I wanted a hyve mag extension for my glock that he didn't carry but he checked and saw he could order them and I had it within days. He always asks if I need any special order ammo. He recognized I go to Point Blank and shoot often and showed me some silhouettes he had that are better quality and cheaper than what they sell.

I guess where I am going is that I get great CS for being a customer. I am not a LEO or a guy who hangs around his shop shootin the bull. Some of the shops cater to certain individuals but Sean treats everyone the same and with respect.

Again, not to offend anyone. There are some great people at other shops but Atkinson's as a whole seems to have the right formula down.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    No offense taken, probably a poor choice of words on my part to lump everyone in together.

You are correct that some of the shops are smoked filled, automatically eliminated from my list. Smoke gives me a sore throat within 3 minutes of being around it. Former smoker myself of 6 years.

There are some really great shops on the Southside. I love shopping at USDS, great group of guys. Bradis has always done me right and so has the Outdoorsman.

Where I was going though is the extra level of service Atkinson's goes to compared to these and all others. The lack of overall customer service in most shops is bad. Maybe my experience has been different but I have read on the board numerous times about guys and gals going into our shops and the employees bull****ting with the local guys who hang around the shops. Employees being on their phones or outside taking smoke breaks while you stand around and wait for service. You never know if the salesman or saleswoman you get is gonna talk to you like a dog at some of these shops.

When I go into Atkinson's, even from day 1 he offered me a soda. He has had pizza and donuts on the table for his staff and asked if I would like some. To him, all I am is a customer but he made it a point to introduce himself and shake my hand. I wanted a hyve mag extension for my glock that he didn't carry but he checked and saw he could order them and I had it within days. He always asks if I need any special order ammo. He recognized I go to Point Blank and shoot often and showed me some silhouettes he had that are better quality and cheaper than what they sell.

I guess where I am going is that I get great CS for being a customer. I am not a LEO or a guy who hangs around his shop shootin the bull. Some of the shops cater to certain individuals but Sean treats everyone the same and with respect.

Again, not to offend anyone. There are some great people at other shops but Atkinson's as a whole seems to have the right formula down.

Word.

And I think, for the most part, the south side shop that USED to be a smoke-filled foul-mouthed employee cop shop is no longer all that smoke-filled.

In general, I think we're quite blessed to have as many options that we do have on the south side!

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm curious on his trade prices. Was it worthwhile to trade as opposed to selling on INGO?

I mostly post up things I want to sell on INGO now, but in the past have traded with Bob at PSS and he did offer really fair trades, especially given that you got a break on sales tax for the trade amount. I might have to take a thing or 2 down there if he is really competitive on trades.

Top Bottom