• ...and so much more!
  • r.gray87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Columbus
    Hey!

I took some AR500 plates, not from you guys, out to shoot with a few buddies and one of them shot the plates at about 50 yards with a 220 swift and it went straight through. 223/5.56 rounds don't do much of anything, small pock marks if anything.

Do you have any experiences that would be similar to mine, very fast moving small caliber rounds busting right through the AR500 steel plates?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Im not Bobcat

I would think a 220 swift at 50 yds would go threw AR500 like its not even there. I don't have evidence on this, just going off common sense. I don't know the load, but that round is probably doing 4000 FPS at 50 yds and I don't think any steel will take that.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Alan hit the nail on the head. Velocity is the key metric for what calibers are appropriate. Most manufactures will recommend below 3000fps, but we add an extra measure in our process that allows us to green light up to 3200fps.

r.gray87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Columbus
    Thanks for the responses.

I will be sure to keep this in mind when I use them the next time. I guess I'll be looking for you guys at the 1500 the next time, seems I'll be able to shoot the plates with anything I have with some of yours if you say good to 3200.

I asked the guy who shot it not to, clearly it fell on deaf ears. Shot it again at around 100 yards, didn't go through, but made a big dent on the back side.

Vespid_Wasp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Thanks for the responses.

I will be sure to keep this in mind when I use them the next time. I guess I'll be looking for you guys at the 1500 the next time, seems I'll be able to shoot the plates with anything I have with some of yours if you say good to 3200.

I asked the guy who shot it not to, clearly it fell on deaf ears. Shot it again at around 100 yards, didn't go through, but made a big dent on the back side.

I'd think if you told him not to, that he owes you a new plate and he can have the one he shot.

Top Bottom