• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smiley69_300

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Ripley County
    Hey guys hows it going? Its been awhile since I have posted here. Just had a lot of things going on latley. Earlier this yeat I applied to be a Reserve Officer. Well, Friday night while I was out of town camping my local Sheriffs office called and left a message asking if I was interested in being a reserve officer. He said the reserve class will start October 12. So of course I called and left a message today saying that I was.

Now I aint sure if I exactley get to do it yet or not. I have to wait to hear back but for them to call says that there interested in me atleast. I just wanted to hear from some people who have taken the reserve class and just wanna know what its all about. I just dont really know what to expect.

Last edited:

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I truly hope not, but could this have been a hoax call left for you?

Have you applied for a post, or do you know anyone with the department?

TK :dunno:

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    It depends on the department and how involved their reserve program is. Our reserves cannot respond to calls alone, but they transport, run traffic, and can back us up on calls. However at our local sheriffs department the reserves can do everything the deputies do. I also know departments that the reserves are not allowed to carry a firearm and can only work special events, basically directing traffic and security functions.

The local sheriffs department has a class from 6-10pm one day week for about 10 weeks for their reserves, and they have to have so many hours of ride-along time before they are released on their own. Also many reserves have to buy their own equipment so keep that in mind.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    It depends on the department and how involved their reserve program is. Our reserves cannot respond to calls alone, but they transport, run traffic, and can back us up on calls. However at our local sheriffs department the reserves can do everything the deputies do. I also know departments that the reserves are not allowed to carry a firearm and can only work special events, basically directing traffic and security functions.

The local sheriffs department has a class from 6-10pm one day week for about 10 weeks for their reserves, and they have to have so many hours of ride-along time before they are released on their own. Also many reserves have to buy their own equipment so keep that in mind.

What he said. It really does vary. I have been both a sworn full time officer and a reserve. Have a good time with it and watch out for yourself and your partner.

smiley69_300

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Ripley County

Thank you very much for your response. This is something I really want to do and hopefully become a full-time officer in the near future. I'm really excited about it and really hope I get tot do it.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Worth it

I have been a reserve officer and I learned a lot and had a great time. I no longer have the time to donate to the community or I would do it again. There is plenty of risk and if you are at a department that allows you to do things then you will likely enjoy your time. I always hoped my efforts were worth it to the community. I did not enjoy the babysitting at ball games and such, but the other stuff was extremely cool.

Get with a veteran officer and learn the ropes from someone who knows what is going on. The 40 pre basic class was not nearly enough.

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Thank you very much for your response. This is something I really want to do and hopefully become a full-time officer in the near future. I'm really excited about it and really hope I get tot do it.

Not a problem, good luck, and if you have any more questions feel free to PM me.

smiley69_300

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Ripley County
    I have been a reserve officer and I learned a lot and had a great time. I no longer have the time to donate to the community or I would do it again. There is plenty of risk and if you are at a department that allows you to do things then you will likely enjoy your time. I always hoped my efforts were worth it to the community. I did not enjoy the babysitting at ball games and such, but the other stuff was extremely cool.

Get with a veteran officer and learn the ropes from someone who knows what is going on. The 40 pre basic class was not nearly enough.

Thanks Coach. I will def keep that in mind if they contact me back an d I get to do it.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    I just got done with my 40 hr JCT pre requisite and qualification shooting this week and start Friday night here. Some of it is on the computer then a small test ,then hand to hand tactics, then shooting for qualification. Its easy just pay attention to what youre taught! Here we get to do the same thing a regular officer does. I dont know about you guys up there. I had my acadamy in KY when I lived there and alot of it transferred here but some things are done differently here in Indiana. After the JCT you have up to 1yr to complete the acadamy if youre gonna go full time which most reserve officers do. Thats how it works here but its a real small own too.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Hey guys hows it going? Its been awhile since I have posted here. Just had a lot of things going on latley. Earlier this yeat I applied to be a Reserve Officer. Well, Friday night while I was out of town camping my local Sheriffs office called and left a message asking if I was interested in being a reserve officer. He said the reserve class will start October 12. So of course I called and left a message today saying that I was.

Now I aint sure if I exactley get to do it yet or not. I have to wait to hear back but for them to call says that there interested in me atleast. I just wanted to hear from some people who have taken the reserve class and just wanna know what its all about. I just dont really know what to expect.

Well congratulations. I started out my LE career as a reserve. I went to the Boone County Sheriffs Reserve Academy. I learned more at their reserve academy than I did in the basic academy. They put on an outstanding certified academy. Not sure what your county's program is like. Most that I have knowledge of are mentally demanding (A lot of Learning) Hopefully your agency treats their reserves as LEO's and not glorified security guards. Most agency's I have any contact with have reserves that are fully trained and certified,work by themselves and take any calls like any other LEO.

Being a reserve officer is what you make out of it. IMO one of the best things you can do is make sure you learn and know your job and have/use a little common sense. You will have guys that will be Leary of you until they get to know you and or see you in action.

Just remember that the LE community is small and in the LEO community your reputation is everything. If you ever loose it for some reason you will never get it back. LEO's are a pretty unforgiving bunch in regards to their own. If a LEO screws up all the other LEO's will know about it in short order. No matter what you might read on this site from some of the anti police type's,most LEO's try to treat people fairly and try to do the right thing.

Good luck with it and most of all make sure you learn the job,use common sense and enjoy it.:twocents:

Top Bottom