So who knows about residential plumbing or foundations?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    So I have two questions about these topics.

1. Foundation, should I be worried about the cracks like these I'm seeing around the inside of the garage?

SDC11325.jpg

2. I see some pvc plumbing stubbed out into the Garage... is this so that an additional water heater can be installed/plumbed directly into this location to feed the rooms down pipe or just additional cutoff valves?

SDC11334.jpg

SDC11333.jpg

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    My guess on the stub outs would be water softener.

Only guarantee about concrete is it will crack.

RandyMarlar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Zionsville
    I used to own a foundation repair company. Send me some more pictures of the inside and a couple of the outside and I'll see if I can tell from afar. Send your telephone number with the pictures and I'll call you after I look at them.
    Randy :patriot:

randymarlar@gmail.com

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    cracks are normal, as far as the stub outs, indymonkeys right, could be softener. only way to know for sure is to trace them. as a general contractor for the past 12 years the one thing i have learned is not to assume what anything was installed or intended for.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    The water lines are for a softener. You can't put a water heater in it's place or you wouldn't have any cold water. Cracks appear normal...

Are you on a well?

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    The water lines are for a softener. You can't put a water heater in it's place or you wouldn't have any cold water. Cracks appear normal...

Are you on a well?

This is for a city utility house. What was weird is the two different stub outs from the wall, I figured one was hot, the other might be cold....

I may look into it further but just thought the outside the wall plumbing was a little weird considering there are no fixtures on the other side of this wall, it's a bedroom.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If you hooked up a water softener you would shut that middle valve off which would force water through the softener. If the softener went bad you would shut it off and use that valve to bypass the system. That also explains the outlet since most softeners are electric. Turn a cold faucet on and then go shut that valve off to see what happens. The other pic might be for outside faucets...

Edit: I don't know how I got the grumpy face so please ignore it...

Last edited:

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Unless the crack is over 1/16th", it isn't structurally significant (in and of itself). That looks to be fairly new construction, yes?

Yes, built about 6 years ago or so.

I always try to patch all cracks in my foundation. Don't want water getting in there and freezing during winter ect.

Hmm, to be honest I didn't look at the corresponding locations on the outside of the garage, I was just looking inside.

Next time I'm over there I'll take a closer look, maybe some more pics.

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    Softner future is your first plumbing picture, like others stated. Second plumbing picture is your main valve, one on the right, and the smaller valve, one one the left, is a valve to shut off your hose bibb(s).

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Softner future is your first plumbing picture, like others stated. Second plumbing picture is your main valve, one on the right, and the smaller valve, one one the left, is a valve to shut off your hose bibb(s).

Yup.

Top Bottom