• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Didn't I hear that there had been an unusual number of accidents involving pedestrians and vehicles recently? I just drove on campus this past weekend and it does seem that Purdue has added stupid to the drinking water there. People and bikes walking out in front of cars all over without looking. Stupid is as stupid does but I understand the point of what they are trying to prevent.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Every college campus I've ever visited has been the same thing: Oblivious self-absorbed students walking into traffic without paying attention, and oblivious, self-absorbed students driving around without paying attention.

I honestly don't understand why there aren't more fatalities on college campuses related to this.

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    It's pretty bad, for sure. The students will walk across State street en masse and force traffic to stop, slow down and swerve. Throw in inexperienced drivers and yes, there is a problem. Perhaps a crackdown will help make the campus safer. Just better to avoid it if possible, imo. :)

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I don't see any problem with enforcing laws on campus regarding this type of safety issue. What does this have to do with 'independent thought'?

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I used to get a ticket about every week up there. Parking=$5 Even got a reckless driving ticket. $15.

And they did not reciprocate with state of Indiana. BUT they WOULD hold your transcripts until you paid up. Unless of course you threatened or actually hit them with a harassment suit, which a friend of mine did. I was THIIIS close to Trapper John-ning my accommodations and strolling to the dorms to shower in my robe. :)

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Every college campus I've ever visited has been the same thing: Oblivious self-absorbed students walking into traffic without paying attention, and oblivious, self-absorbed students driving around without paying attention.

I honestly don't understand why there aren't more fatalities on college campuses related to this.

I drove through the IU campus in Bloomington a week ago, and the fact that some of those students had lived that long AMAZED me...

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I am a Purdue grad too. I remember driving north on 43 around the apartments and kids would walk right out in the middle and expect eveyone to stop.

I didn't. I think I ran over some kid's toes, looked in the rear view mirror and he was hopping and yelling and flipping me off.

Gave me a chuckle...

Goosepond Monster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Ellettsville
    Didn't I hear that there had been an unusual number of accidents involving pedestrians and vehicles recently? I just drove on campus this past weekend and it does seem that Purdue has added stupid to the drinking water there. People and bikes walking out in front of cars all over without looking. Stupid is as stupid does but I understand the point of what they are trying to prevent.
    I thought that had always been in the water there.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Thank God that all other police work has been solved so that police can now focus on serious crimes, like jaywalking.

Just remember... it's for YOUR SAFETY.

Traffic enforcement. Purdue isn’t exactly investigating major crimes everyday either.

I’m not sure what the difference this year is. I think the stars and planets have just aligned right. We always have our fair share of pedestrian/vehicle accidents during the year (whether students are on campus or not) ,with several very serious / fatal accidents over the past three years.

The problem really is too many distractions (cell phones, ipods, etc).

I work full time on one of the 911 emergency ambulances stationed in West Lafayette and have on countless occasions had students walk out in front of us within 100 yards while going lights and sirens somewhere.

Maybe Purdue should just ban cell phones and ipods on the sidewalks surrounding campus.... :laugh:

Top Bottom