• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmildoc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    South of Indy (in the woods)
    So my wife and I were in a car accident at the end of July where someone rear ended us... we had the four kids in the car...my wife had to go to the ER and was released in about 4 hours with a case of Whiplash......

Other driver took the blame....got everything fixed and insurance company calls and offers a $400 settlement for time and inconvenience??

Should I ask for a little more??

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    My advice... Do not accept this, as they will argue that it releases them from culpability for any injury that may develop as a result of the crash.

Contact your inurance man and/or lawyer to get a better legal take on it.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    So my wife and I were in a car accident at the end of July where someone rear ended us... we had the four kids in the car...my wife had to go to the ER and was released in about 4 hours with a case of Whiplash......

Other driver took the blame....got everything fixed and insurance company calls and offers a $400 settlement for time and inconvenience??

Will that $400 cover your wife's hospital bill or did your insurance pick it up? Is your time worth $400? Or is it more? At the least, they should be picking up any medical expenses and then looking to compensate you for time and inconvenience. Did you have to get a rental? There's a few extra bills they might need to look at first. No need to get greedy, tho.

jmildoc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    South of Indy (in the woods)
    Will that $400 cover your wife's hospital bill or did your insurance pick it up? Is your time worth $400? Or is it more? At the least, they should be picking up any medical expenses and then looking to compensate you for time and inconvenience. Did you have to get a rental? There's a few extra bills they might need to look at first. No need to get greedy, tho.

they said they would take care of all medical expenses even though they were only a little over $200 then they did take care of most of our rental...but we got a bill from the fire dept for almost $700 that I am hoping they will pay.....Not getting greedy....just never been in this situation

my insurance man said that they always offer the lowest amount first...

we were rear ended and the other person took full responsibility

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Take your time and make sure everything is ok with your wife and the car. Sit down and list all of your out of pocket expenses. Be sure to include things like time from work, gas, meals, etc.. Also add in any damages not covered by either insurance company and deductibles if applicable. I would also get a second opinion for my wife and have a second mechanic look at the car just to make sure nothing got overlooked. Then add a reasonable amount for your time and inconvenience. Don't get in a hurry to sign anything. Once you settle the claim, the insurance company is probably off the hook.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Don't ask for a little more. Refer them to your attorney. If you don't have one talk to a few.

If you don't feel you have a valid reason to pursue more compensation, that is your (and your wife's) decision and a noble one at that.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I had an accident many years ago. I had some injuries and was out of work for a while. The other party's insurance company sent me a small check. I sent it back. They later called and negotiated it higher. I accepted an offer, but now wish I would have contacted an attorney. The old injuries have caused some pain and minor disabilities at times now. Just because your wife thinks she is ok now doesn't mean that she won't have reoccurring neck pain later in life.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Expect to get no less than 3 or 4 times of all medicall expenses. That is just a figure to start with. They must pay for all medical expenses then you would multiply that amount by 3 or 4. Trust me this is quite fair and they ( Insurance Adjusters ) are used to that. Whiplash can affect a person for quite some time with some permanent damage so do not be in a hurry to settle. They want you to settle now but DO NOT. Hold out just to make sure your wife is just fine. :twocents:

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville

I am not a fan of lawsuits or things of that nature, however with that being said...........the injuries your wife sustained can be an issue that will cause problems later in life. Don't take the first offer. Don't gouge them...........but get what you feel you need to get.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Consult a lawyer first. You just never know if she sustained more injuries than the ER picked up on. Whiplash is often diagnosed when it's something else. From my experience anyway. Things get missed medically, mechanical damage to the car could have happened that wasn't seen right away, you just never know.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    also, you need to remember that medical bills often come from a multitude of offices and you may not have seen the last of them. if i were you i would contact a lawyer.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've been through this too many times!!!

GET A LAWYER YESTERDAY! PM ME IF YOU WANT A RECOMENDATION!

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I went through an accident a lot worse than what you've described (we were sandwiched between 2 semi's on a highway, and it took 25 minutes to cut us out, then flew to a trauma hospital + I have no memory of the accident), the only reason I tell you that is so you know where I'm coming from, believe me when I say that whiplash is nothing to discount, especially the long term effects of it. My wife and I will always, for the rest of our lives, deal with this pain and no amount of money can make up for it. That said please talk with an attorney and get legal advice. Most will offer a free consultation, take advantage of that.

Remember the other sides attorneys are looking after their client, NOT you.

We battled for over 4 years before settling during mediation, not fun but without an attorney we would have been even more screwed.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    As stated, each situation is different... If it is enough for you, take it, if not, go for more. I would suggest you try to get what you think is fair on your own first. If that doesn't work, then get legal help.

Now the insurnace agent side of me coming out....and I am not saying this is you, just a blanket statment....Keep in mind that the reason insurance rates go up is because of paying out more than they bring in the last year. Once again, if you need more, go for it. If not, don't be part of the problem.

:twocents:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    they said they would take care of all medical expenses even though they were only a little over $200 then they did take care of most of our rental...but we got a bill from the fire dept for almost $700 that I am hoping they will pay.....Not getting greedy....just never been in this situation

my insurance man said that they always offer the lowest amount first...

we were rear ended and the other person took full responsibility

There is nothing that ticks me off more than fire departments charging the taxpayers!!!:xmad: That make my blood boil. They are paid from our taxes to sleep,eat and do whatever else it is they do. IMO they need to live within their means like PD's do. My shift partner was involved in a on duty crash. Our own fire department billed him over $500.00!!!!!

As far as your crash...call an attorney. It more than likely won't cost you any money and they will get you a reasonable amount for damages. Don't let the insurance companys give you the shaft. The ONLY thing they understand is a attorney. Most Insurance company's these days are just short of criminals IMO.

Top Bottom