• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Ok folks my wife just gave me an Ipod touch, now I am not into music but I do like many of the other features on this little gadget, the Ibook is probably my favorite out of the bunch, especially since it allows me to import .pdf files from my computer.

Anyway I am wondering if anyone has a good source for free ebooks or pdfs so that I can expand my little virtual library.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So your wife can afford to buy you the gadget but you won't/can't pay for the digital files? Classy.
    Is there anything worth reading today that people are just giving away?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    So your wife can afford to buy you the gadget but you won't/can't pay for the digital files? Classy.
    Yes. Loads of books are in the public domain and many have been made available free. See the list above. Free doesn't mean crappy and sometimes what you pay for isn't as good as what's available free.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Barnes&Noble has a Free Ebooks section on their website that they rotate through. I check in once a week or so to see what I can find. Heres a link to it:Free eBooks - Barnes & Noble

Also the Ebook store has several free books, I know one of them is the Complete Sherlock Holmes by Doyle, if you are into the classics, I will let you know if I find another good website for them.

VostocK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010

Some of the best books ever written fall under the public domain laws. Someone once said that classics are the books that everyone talks about but nobody reads. It really is sad but true. Quite a few of my all time favorite books are in the public domain.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    No worries Leash, if it was one or two specific books that I was looking to read every month then spending the money to buy them wouldn't be an issue, however I am looking to stock an 8gig library of space & buying that many books (I am guessing that this thing will hold several hundred books) would be prohibitively expensive.

Anyway many thanks to Vostock, MrJarrell & G_Stines for the above links, I'll definitely check them out.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Very nice, I just snagged: The Art of War by Sunzi, that one alone has made my day! woohoo I just found: On War by Von Clausewitz too!

Thanks again guys/gals!

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Thanks Miguel, so far thanks to this thread I've got a pretty good start on building up my little virtual library!

If anyone has any suggested reading or must have ebooks, I'd love to hear about them too!

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I think I have over 30 books now, including St Thomas Aquina's Summa Theologica! back in college I had to special order that monstrous set of texts from the central library & wait several months on a waiting list before it became available for me to borrow.

I am really digging this ebook stuff.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Thanks Jarrell!

I have over 40 books in my little virtual library now, got a little bit of everything from poetry to politics to art to a survival guide, a campsite guide, a bird watching guide, gardening guide & of course a bunch of books containing great classic literature.

Top Bottom