Your opinion on the 50 post rule or become a Site Supporter for Classifieds Access

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Are you ok with the current classifieds set up? 50 posts or Site Supporter

• Total voters

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    At this time the classifieds are set up so that a member must have 50 posts in order to participate. Another way to get into the classifieds is to become an INGO Site Supporter for $10 and your profile is set up with 50 posts for access to the classifieds.

When I created INGO I didn't realize how popular this site would become. As we grew we had classifieds snipers come on here with 0 posts and get some great deals. I wanted members who participate in the community to get the good deals. Not everyone wants to make 50 posts. A user can contribute by making 50 quality posts or support the site by contributing $10 for 1 year. Either way they have contributed to the forum before taking advantage of our popular classifieds. Those who have been around for a while know we have tried other options.

I'm open to suggestions. Please vote in the poll and let us know if you are ok with the current process or do not like it.

If you do not like the current process please provide constructive feedback as to how you would improve the classifieds in this regard.

Simply let us know how YOU would set up the INGO Classifieds. Negative or Off topic comments will be removed!

:ingo:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I voted no simply because the many self appointed 50 post nannies are more annoying than those who show up only to use the classifieds.

I think the mods' jobs would be 10 times easier if the 50 post rule were lifted, bandwidth usage would go down as we wouldn't have all the useless posts from new members or the useless posts from the nannies calling them out on it. If the seller doesn't want to sell to a noon, he can choose not to. What's so hard about that?

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Buying in to circumvent the rules is typical government bs.

You either have the 50 post rule or you dont. Looking the other way for 10.00 is uh....weird.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    yep I like it. I came to ingo just for the classifieds I will admit. but thats only because I did'nt know how great of a community it is. Since joining I have made lifelong friends that I would have never met had I not come to INGO. Its impossible for all of our new people to know we put our community here before the classifieds, so I dont blame new people for going strait to them. Where else are you gonna find so much sweet goodness in Indiana besides the 1500?
    I voted that I am good with the 50 post requirement/recomendation or a $10 fee. I can see its usefulness. I think it does protect our members. If anyone is that bent out of shape about it then just spend $10 and get all the benefits of a site supporter and the classifieds in one shot. its just $10. before long it will be cheaper than a pack of smokes.

I think the 50 post or $10 is just a simple way of judging a newer members intentions.

maybe it could be 50 post/ $10 / or 1 year of membership? We do have a lot of members who rarely post so their post count isnt high, (including a new mod), but thats not neccessarily bad because a lot are very active in INGO events and such.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    I like the 50 post rule.

I don't like the 10.00 with 0 post rule. I think the 10.00 can advance them but they should still be require to have 20 or at least 10 quality posts still to show participation in more than just the classifieds.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    the reason I dont mind letting them in with just the $10 fee is because its not hard to make 50 quality post even if they are a classifieds sniper. better INGO get $10 out of them then just 50 post ...right? I mean, in all honesty I had my first 50 post in one night, and at the time I gave a crap less about the quality, I just wanted the classifieds for buying and selling. just being honest here. i have grown since then.

can we talk about lowering the site advertiser fees? ;)

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I voted yes as I believe it does a very good (but not perfect) job of filtering out spammers and flamers. Hoosiertopics is the place for those that are more open to that type of community.

I believe that one point that creates confusion and conflict is the 15 post for PMs rule. It allows people to participate in the classifieds early without sharing with the community via posts or money. At that point, how could they not think that the 50 post rule is bizarre, much like the 18/21 year old law for purchasing firearms.

Related to that, is there any way to set up the system to not allow PMs to those under 15 posts? I've seen posts where people with low counts were sent PMs, but there was no way to read/reply.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Thank you for the feedback so far.

What I'm looking for here is how YOU would set up the classifieds.

Examples:

I would set it up so that there are no restrictions.

I would set it up so that you must have a post count of 10 or more and that is the only stipulation.

etc

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    As long as you don't ever ban me from the classifieds until I get my 50 quality posts, I'm fine with it...I'm not sure if I will ever get there.

Although, I do see where hornadylnl is coming from.

Oh, BTW, you should up the post count for PMs to 50 as well.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I think if you lift the requirement, this site will fairly quickly become a classifieds site with a discussion forum on the side, instead of the other way around.

I like the requirement. Only change I'd make would be to ban people who keep trying the one liners approach after having their first set of posts deleted and being warned.

Edit:

I'd set it up as 50 posts required for access to classifieds and PMs, no buy in. There are other places folks can buy their way in. Of course, it does provide some relatively low mx income.

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    I vote "no", I have all required posts to be able to buy and sell so that does not reflect this decision.

I guess what I dont agree with about the current guidelines is this:

It sounds almost like this,
    You must have 50 quality posts ( a mod will determin if your posts are "quality" ), or you can skate around this 50 posts requirement by sending us money.

Almost sounds like a bribe to me.

IMO. make it 50 posts, or make it only site supporters.

Security122

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Southside of Indy
    I voted Yes because I'm ok with the rules. What I do suggest is the following addition to the current rules:
    The Rules of the INGO Classifieds! -> You MUST READ before... (strike posting) add particpating in any way!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In order to participate in the classifieds section you must have a quality post count of 50 or more. Even though you are given PM capability after only 15 quality posts, do not use it to contact sellers until you have made 50 quality posts. This policy is in place to help weed out scammers/spammers and gives our members a chance to get a feel for you as a board member. Do not attempt to gain access to the classifieds by posting a bunch of "one liners". That will not work. Thank you and enjoy the classifieds!

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I say we remove all the restrictions on post count for PMs and Classifieds. Just expect to have to remove "Cell Phone Spam" from your PM folders on a daily basis.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I voted "Yes" because I think it works OK as it is. The only changes I'd make is a ban on putting your phone number or email address in your classified ad. That seems like an easy invitation to get around the site rules. And, reduce the amount of time you have to wait in reporting a post. Maybe 30 minutes instead?

sig-sweet

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I voted yes, if I can come up with 50 quality posts anyone can........LOL. I donate the the 10 pieces of gold because I believe in this site, the people that run it and the people that contribute with honest sincere posts. If $10 pieces of gold lets you bypass 50 posts and you are a ( as stated above) contributor. I can pet my dog and sleep well tonight.

Carry on

Top Bottom