• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I was pulled over for running a red light. Entered the intersection on yellow, but did not clear it in yellow.

The nice officer told me why he pulled me over, then asked, "How many beers did you drink?" That was good! :): For a split second, I wondered how he knew that I'd had a beer, then I realized that it's a leading question. I told him that I had one with dinner and was told to wait in the car while he ran my DL and VR.

Three more cars came and the officer in charge of the drunk driving for the shift came and talked to me and asked me to step out so he can do some tests. When I walked out, he asked me if I had any weapons. There's the fun began. :): "Of course," I told him.

After removed everything off of me, he asked if there were other weapons in the car. I told him that my wife had more. :): He kept asking why I had so much stuff, which was annoying, but I didn't want to start a **** fest so I just told him that I had less than him and I was trying to keep up. :): From there on, we were laughing and cracking jokes. Later, I wondered what the cars that drove by must have been thinking to see someone being disarmed and laughing with the police.

He gave me the pen test, which, of course, I passed; then we talked guns a bit. The officer who pulled me over, brought back our firearms and told the "drunk driving" officer that the mags are numbered and to make sure they go back in the correct firearms. The firearms were returned and I was told to wait for something else. The "drunk driving" guy came back with a written warning and told me that it does not mean anything and I could throw it away.

They each thanked me for the cooperation and I thanked them for the warning. :): The experience was almost pleasant. They were all great guys with a good sense of humor.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Just out of curiosity, why did they need four cars for a (possible) drunk driving stop?

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I am always grateful when a driver announces that they are legally armed instead of me finding it.Communication goes a looong ways when doing traffic stops.There is enough apprehension that some whack-job is going to shoot me or another officer on a simple traffic infraction.I try to be polite,articulate and I treat everyone as if they are a gentlemen or lady until I am proved wrong.I have had many farmers stop and check on my welfare on a traffic stop and I know they are legally armed.:ar15: Most remember me as that nice Korean Hillbilly fella and I wish to remain that.:patriot:

Glad this turned out as a positive experience and please remember that not all cops are dickheads.Well...at least til provoked.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    In another life time before farm life and children I used to ride an ol' Mutt of a Harley 41' flat head. I lived near Buffalo NY and wore leather most of the time. The 41' had no mufflers and it could be rudely loud If I wanted it to be. I always puttered in and out of neighborhoods so not to disturb. I never rode with a club and was considered an independent. I came and went as I pleased. I can't count how many times I have been in felony arrest position, laying out in the middle of the road waiting on back up cars to arrive. Always ended up chatting over the bike and such. Was annoying at times but some of the cops were funny going from scared to have me look at them, to helping push start the 41' after the motor got cold.

In the town I lived in every spring time no matter who you were if you were on a motorcycle you got pulled over for the license registration and proof of insurance. Most every year I got it more than once. The loud pipes saves lives on my helmet and the ape hanger handle bars were usually a flag saying pull me over. So be it, 10 yrs later and I would love to be spread out for some cop in the night.(( Hey Hey! not that way now..)) Nice to look back and laugh though.

Last edited:

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    So does the insurance company get notified of warnings?

Nope.There are exceptions tho such as a 'fix-it-ticket' which by definition is a vehicle violation that can turn into an official citation if the repair is not done by the specified time constraint.The warnings are just that/a warning not to do it again or you will be cited under statute.

Okay since we are talking tickets...there is NO such thing as a 'quota sytem' in Indiana! We are allowed to write as many citations as we want!!:): Ba-duh-da-dum!!! If I write one more ticket I win a toaster oven. Yes,I would ticket my Mom but she started it first. And the list goes on and on.:laugh:

BTW George,I used to ride an ol' rat bike shovelhead...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Four cars were needed because abnk is such an imposing and intimidating figure! :D

I'm glad it worked out okay. Maybe the four cars were result of special OWI patrol. It's very similar to what happened to me a few years ago heading north out of Spencer. My alleged infraction was that I was "swerving." They thought it was because I was drunk, whereas I knew it was because I'm a crappy driver. :D

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    One thing everyone should remember that when your stopped for a violation, be nice it does you no good to get crappy with the officer. Out on the street there's only one side that's going to win. Just a word of advice. Just like abnk did, nice and polite goes a long way.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    BTW George,I used to ride an ol' rat bike shovelhead...

:hijack:

Funny thing was at rides where there were very expensive bikes and big name riders the photographers would meekly walk up and ask permission to take pictures of my old mutt. Fresh paint from a spray can must impress. Someone would always say " you know your leaking oil?" the 41' had exterior valves and leaked oil. It was not a defect, just a fact. I'd usually say "she's just marking her spot", and watch for the reaction as they realized. I never look at the biker mags or really care, but wonder sometimes if any of the pictures ever made it to print.

Ok returning to guns now..

If you squint your eyes and stand way back the Harley looked like a gun... ok not really but I was trying to get back to the topic..:dunno:

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    One thing everyone should remember that when your stopped for a violation, be nice it does you no good to get crappy with the officer. Out on the street there's only one side that's going to win. Just a word of advice. Just like abnk did, nice and polite goes a long way.

:+1::+1::+1:

Turned a small-town speed trap ticket from a state $100+ (plus points) ticket to a $25 (NO points) town code ticket for me just a couple weeks ago!!! :rockwoot:

Yeah..... It was still a speed-trap and B.S. but I'll take $25 and no points over the other anytime!!! :dunno:
    :cheers:

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    Same reason why Anderson took 4 cars to give me a $275 loud stereo ticket that I trashed and never paid. :rockwoot:

thats just anderson....they have nothing better to do like watch for the friday night burglars on columbus street....:rolleyes:

thats cool they didn't hassle you very much, my favorite response for a suspected DUI question was, I didn't swerve officer, that was torque steer:):

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I dont know about big city boys, but in small towns, there just isn't much going on. If you get pulled over, cops will come out of the woodwork, usually to say hi because you know them.

Top Bottom