• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    This is cool news. A new species of (now extinct) human was discovered and its genome was mapped. It was distinct from Neanderthals and Homo Sapiens and there was likely interbreeding between them and Homo Sapiens, (just as there was with Neanderthals). Apparently, the genes for the Denisovans show up in some of the people in the Pacific region. Our family history picture just got bigger. :rockwoot:

Fossil genome reveals ancestral link : Nature News

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    :bs:

This is just the next thing they are going to puff up and go on about to further the fairy tale. I wonder if it will turn out like Lucy and be reclassified as an ape or like Piltdown man and be a hoax. Anonymous finger bones sure are fascinating. :noway:

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    :bs:

This is just the next thing they are going to puff up and go on about to further the fairy tale. I wonder if the will turn out like Lucy and be reclassified as an ape or like Piltdown man and be a hoax. Anonymous finger bones sure are fascinating. :noway:
    Lucy has never been reclassified as an ape. Sorry to disappoint you. She was a hominid, an early humanoid life form, that was related to our human line. Piltdown was a hoax, that adds nothing to the equation for later finds. There's no bs here, just a new scientific discovery that expands our knowledge of human development and history.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    My wife is sure that not only am I a direct descendent of Neanderthals, but there has been no evolution in my particular bloodline over the period. ;)

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    This is cool news. A new species of (now extinct) human was discovered and its genome was mapped. It was distinct from Neanderthals and Homo Sapiens and there was likely interbreeding between them and Homo Sapiens, (just as there was with Neanderthals). Apparently, the genes for the Denisovans show up in some of the people in the Pacific region. Our family history picture just got bigger. :rockwoot:

Fossil genome reveals ancestral link : Nature News

Read that article this morning from my BBC News widget on my phone. Really neat stuff...so much still to learn.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    "30,000–50,000-year-old bone"

How does DNA survive so long?

Thanks

Mark

Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) is far more prevalent in cells than cellular DNA. It's also more protected inside the mitochondria within the cells.

It also has the advantage that there's no change between parent and offspring except for mutation, so while it's harder to use to identify an individual, it is very useful to track evolutionary changes.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I forgot to mention that bone structure also protects internal cellular structures more readily than soft tissue. Finger bones or similar bones in other animals, and teeth tend to not only last longer because they are more dense, but they protect cells better for the same reason. The more porous the bone the lighter it is for its strength, but the more readily it is dissolved or damaged.

The problem with finding things in caves is that the circumstances that allow a cave become an ideal storage facility are fairly rare, and just because a cave may be an ideal environment now, the differences in climate over the last 2 million years makes those circumstances even more rare. As an example, here in Indiana the oldest caves are only about 5 million years old, and much younger (few tens of thousands of years) is more common. The parts of the caves that may last the longest are also deeper in the cave and even less likely to contain animals.

Last edited:

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    It baffels me that ppl seriously think that we evovled from monkeys? where are the missing links? there are 6+billion ppl in the world today and ppl will still believe things that they see (1 rock as an example) but choose not to believe in Creation by faith!

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It baffels me that ppl seriously think that we evovled from monkeys? where are the missing links? there are 6+billion ppl in the world today and ppl will still believe things that they see (1 rock as an example) but choose not to believe in Creation by faith!

I heard an Old Testament seminary professor explain things this way:

Look in the owner's manual of your car to find out how to change the wiper blades, but don't look there to find out how to get to Florida.
    Look in the Bible to find out how God and mankind should relate to each other, but don't look there for a complete, literal history of creation.
    The why is more important than the how.

That is my opinion, based on my experience. You, of course, are free to believe whatever you wish.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom