• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Ok, I am pretty savvy on these kind of things, but I am in a spot where I need some help. On our (wired) network at work, we have our modem and router in the back office. The router is connected to a 16 port hub at the front of the store where our POS terminals and CCTV DVR's share the network/internet connection. I would like to add a wireless access point at the front of the store. I have a Linksys wireless router left-over from another project that I was thinking of using for this. My question is: can I connect the wireless router to the hub, thusly creating a wireless access point? I tried once and I couldn't get it to work. Any help would be appreciated.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Yes. Make sure you're using the "internal" ports on the wireless router. Ignore the "internet" port.

An off-the-shelf wireless internet router (cable/DSL modem) generally consists of 1 "external" (WAN) port and 4 or more "internal" (LAN) ports. You can use any of the LAN ports and just ignore the "internet router" function of the access point. It will just act like a standard network switch. You may need to use a cross-over cable if it doesn't auto-sense.

Also, most of them have a built-in DHCP server. You'll probably want to disable that when you configure the wireless part of it. You probably already have a DHCP server on your network handing out IP addresses. You can't have two running or they'll fight with each other.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    ...well maybe not. It seems that when I install the wireless router, it effs with the wired router and changes the internet protocol from PPPoE to something else that doesn't work. I un-plug the wireless unit and hit "repair connection" on the network menu and everything is hunky dory. When I plug the wireless unit back in, same thing. Maybe I have the settings in the wireless router wrong?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    There's no way that the new router should be fiddling with the way the other router is configured. One or both of them may have UPnP or MAC cloning enable which could possibly be causing an issue. VUPD, if you want to PM me offline I should be able to help you out.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Ah, UPnP is enabled on the wireless one. I'll try disabling that. I have already gone home for the day, so this will have to wait till Friday or later.

Top Bottom