• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    I am a big coffee drinker (although I am cutting back) I like 'good' fresh coffee (black no sugar). The coffee in my new office is un-drinkable! Worse stuff I have had in years. I ran across a coffee press pot and it is great. You cam make one cup at a time and it is FRESH! Anybody else have one?

PressPot.jpg

Hoosier8

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I use one every morning. I found one at T.J. Maxx (haven't seen em lately) that pulls up instead of pushing down and locks the grounds in the top.

Years ago I used to make what I called cowboy coffee by just dumping the grounds in boiling water just taken off the heat. When the water starts cooling, the grounds drop to the bottom. I still do that if I am somewhere there is nothing else. It always made the coffee taste nuttier and that is what these french presses do.

Hoosier8

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    $9.00 at Meijer ;)

Not what I meant. The one you have you push the grounds down to the bottom. The one I have you pull them to the top and the vacuum at the bottom keeps the liquid in. The grounds lock in the top. It is actually cool and easier to clean. I love the coffee out of these things.

By the way, what is your avatar picture?

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    BTW it is known as a French Press. Yes, they make an awesome cup of coffee and most coffee snobs feel that it is the best way to make coffee as it retains all the oils of the coffee beans and adds to the flavor.

It does however make a pretty strong coffee. You better be a real coffee fan to use one. My dad tried mine and commented that it makes it "too bitter". My response was, "it IS coffee you know." Yes, I'm a smart ass even to my dear old dad.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    If you have never had crunchy coffee, you are just a wannabe coffee drinker. :D

I used to eat chocolate covered coffee beans. They rock.

BTW, I am not much of a coffee drinker any more. I like it, my body not so much. I have taken a strong liking to different kinds of tea though.

I think my short stint working at Starbucks ruined coffee for me. It was everywhere and free. After a few months of being jacked up worse than an Arkansas meth head, my body just couldn't take it any more.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Coffee, coffee, coffee! And keep it coming.
    I'm addicted.
    Just a note about the quality of your coffee using your [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]cafetière (or any pot, really); R.O. water is the way to go. Not just "filtered" or "purified". Reverse Osmosis water. I'm telling you, it's a whole different world.
    Trust the monkey.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Coffee don't care about the water, your boiling it anyway.
    Coffee don't care about the fancy pancy coffee maker you use, it all ends up in the same spot.
    Coffee should be strong. If you can't use it to die leather, then it it is tea.
    Coffee should be black. When you pick the pot up and hold it into the light, you should see the light being pulled into the blackness of the coffee.
    Coffee should have grounds in it. It builds character.
    ANd finally and most importantly I am not european. Coffee is the flavor that I am wanting. Not some frenchy vanilla walnut crap!

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    Coffee, coffee, coffee! And keep it coming.
    I'm addicted.
    Just a note about the quality of your coffee using your [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]cafetière (or any pot, really); R.O. water is the way to go. Not just "filtered" or "purified". Reverse Osmosis water. I'm telling you, it's a whole different world.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=-1][FONT=arial,sans-serif]Trust the monkey. [/FONT][/SIZE]
    How about >18 mega-ohm, purified, Millipore, laboratory grade water :D

imprimis5

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    Plainfield, IN
    Coffee don't care about the water, your boiling it anyway.
    Coffee don't care about the fancy pancy coffee maker you use, it all ends up in the same spot.
    Coffee should be strong. If you can't use it to die leather, then it it is tea.
    Coffee should be black. When you pick the pot up and hold it into the light, you should see the light being pulled into the blackness of the coffee.
    Coffee should have grounds in it. It builds character.
    ANd finally and most importantly I am not european. Coffee is the flavor that I am wanting. Not some frenchy vanilla walnut crap!

The coffee snob in me shudders. The quality of the water actually does matter since the higher quality, the fewer dissolved minerals and other junk will be similarly present in your coffee.

Secondly, what we call "coffee" here, most of Europe laughs at. Allow me to give the example of the Americano. The Americano, most often made by diluting shots of espresso with water, was first made in Italy for American tourists. They would order "caffe" and get something that was much too strong for them, so the baristi would water it down so they could actually drink it, laughing the whole time.

I am with you on one point. Adding cream and sugar is the fastest way to ruin a good cup of coffee.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Secondly, what we call "coffee" here, most of Europe laughs at. Allow me to give the example of the Americano. The Americano, most often made by diluting shots of espresso with water, was first made in Italy for American tourists. They would order "caffe" and get something that was much too strong for them, so the baristi would water it down so they could actually drink it, laughing the whole time.

That is espresso, not regular coffee. That isn't a fair comparison. That is like comparing beer to spirits. People were drinking coffee LONG before the invention of the espresso machine using methods much like the cowboy method.

But, yes, in general, your average American has a pretty bad idea as to what real coffee should taste like. As a beer snob, I must also say that they same goes for beer. Bud Light is the best selling beer in America. Why? Because it tastes like frickin water. No beer taste at all. I'll stick to my ales.

imprimis5

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    Plainfield, IN
    That is espresso, not regular coffee. That isn't a fair comparison. That is like comparing beer to spirits. People were drinking coffee LONG before the invention of the espresso machine using methods much like the cowboy method.

If you order "caffe" in an Italian or French shop, that's what you're going to get. :-P

Top Bottom