WTB - Vaseline - Duke Energy makes it hurt.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    I need a large container of Vaseline because I STRONGLY believe Duke Energy is sticking it to me.

I have been on the "budget plan" with Duke for a couple of years. My monthly payments last year were always $168 ea... All of a sudden December comes and they tell me I owe them $575 to "catch up"...they said my usage had gone up over the last year and I needed to pay the extra $400 some dollars to catch up.

Now, I am a stickler when it comes to the electricity in my house. If you aren't in a room, lights OFF...AC set around 75...Heat barely on! I usually set the heat around 60 and run a kerosene heater to help cut the cost of the electric bill (in theory).

So, when the woman from Duke told me I owed them the extra $400 last December I about flipped a wig! I told them that they needed to come out and check my meter because it was impossible. She told me "Your meter is working fine, Sir" .....I replied "Well, how can you tell me that over the phone! :n00b:"....."Because your meter will shut off if it isn't working correctly" she said...

Whatever, so, I tucked my tail between my legs, paid the bill, and thought everything was fine and dandy. I started getting even more paranoid about electricity, and doing everything I could possibly imagine to try and lower my bill.

Well, the last 2 months Duke Energy sent me an e-mail saying my budget plan bill had gone UP AGAIN!!! I am now paying $218 for one month electric in a 1,200 sq ft ranch. That's now $50 MORE a month...when I KNOW I've been using LESS!!!

GIVE ME A BREAK, DUKE ENERGY!!!!

:soapbox: :xmad: :noway:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    This is why I refuse the budget plans. My bills over the winter were almost double because the contractor who installed the geo didn't take 2 seconds to cut a jumper like he should have. I'm now working to get some money back from them to offset their screwup.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Their budget thing is a rip off. Our bill is around $110 a month averaged over 12 months for a 52 y/o 1-story ranch with basement set at 71 degrees year-round. They tried to sign us up at $130 a month on their "budget plan".

Last edited:

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    Their budget thing is a rip off. Our bill is around $110 a month averaged over 12 months for a 52 y/o 1-story ranch with basement set at 71 degrees year-round. They tried to sign us up at $130 a month on their "budget plan".

They are not trying to rip you off. They are giving you the option of paying the same payment every month and would like you to pay 18% more each month then your average, so that at the end of your "budget year" they don't have to tell you that you owe another $400 too because your usage went up during this colder or hotter year then average or for whatever reason. 18% seems a little high to me, but they are probably figuring in their next rate increase for that coal gasification generator plant they are building.

If your usage is lower then last year's average, then they will apply whatever is left to next year and your budget will be lower the next year.

I do the budget on both Gas and Elect and love it. We don't have a "Catch-up" month like you are describing. If our bill is $400 over they would take the average for each month, add a small percentage, I think it is 3% for good measure, then take the 400 / 12 and then add the $34 per month to the new bill so that it will be caught up at the end of the next year. If I have a credit, because of lower usage, they apply that towards the average and my next year's budget billing is lower.

The thing with the budget program is that people do not pay attention to their actual usage and costs. It is printed right there on your bill along with the "budgeted" bill amount. If it is not, then complain because it should be. I can see the actual and budget costs each month and if I feel like I am going to end up owing, I kick in a little extra each month. If you pay attention to your monthly usage, it should not be a surprised what the yearly outcome is.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    The thing with the budget program is that people do not pay attention to their actual usage and costs.

I'd be glad to invite you over for a few beers so you could show me what else I could possibly do to cut my usage...:n00b:

I *****ed and told them I didn't want a "catch up month". So, they might be doing it quarterly now which is why I just noticed my last two bills rise. :dunno:

I will be calling them next week and asking more questions... Something isn't right. I seriously basically sit in the dark and haven't had the heat or air on for the last month or so.

Trust me. I am watching my usage.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    do yourself a favor and get off the budget billing. why pay more for the exact same usuage.

This seems to be the consensus.

The only reason I went for the budget plan is because my income is usually lower in the winter because I am not working as much. It was supposed to lower my bills during the winter, but that obviously isn't the case.

I'm gonna see what they say about me getting off the plan.

I wouldn't be surprised if they tried charging me a "fee".

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    I'm gonna see what they say about me getting off the plan.

I wouldn't be surprised if they tried charging me a "fee".
    No fee. I just logged on to my account and cancelled budget-billing.

Also, check your appliances. Your bill seems very high for your claimed minimal usage.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    ... always $168 ea... All of a sudden December comes and they tell me I owe them $575 to "catch up"...they said my usage had gone up over the last year and I needed to pay the extra $400 some dollars to catch up....I am now paying $218 for one month electric in a 1,200 sq ft ranch. That's now $50 MORE a month..:

So they took your 575/12months=47.92 and added it to your previous monthly amount 168 = $215.19 so they have you now paying $218/month so that next year you won't be over and have to pay extra. I know a lot of people do not like this system, and no one likes their bill to go up, but it does seem to be a good way to try to estimate your usage for the next year. Your big users are of course always heat and a/c so a big part of your bill is dependent on the weather.

I don't work for Duke, but if you were on our service, and called me about this, the first thing I would do is offer to come test your meter. Granted, there is a 99.9% chance that there is nothing wrong with your meter, but we would still come test it, poke around, and see if there is anything obvious that we could find. Being Investor Owned, and Regulated by the IURC, I believe that they have to test your meter free of charge if you request it in writing. ( Indiana General Assembly - Indiana Register click on Article 4 Electric Utilities then find 170 IAC 4-1-11 )

"Customer requests for tests; application to utility Each public utility supplying electrical energy shall make a test of the accuracy of registration of a meter upon written request by a customer. A second test of this meter may be requested after twelve (12) months. The customer may be required to bear the full cost of any subsequent tests of this meter if..."

What kind of meter do you have? Manufacturer and model #? Something like ITRON C1SR, or GE I210 etc? Is it digital w no disk at all any more, or still have the dials and the disk or some kind of hybrid with a digital display but with a disk still?

The reason the lady said that your meter would stop if it was broken is obviously that's what she has been trained to do, but also in general, that is what happens. Historically with the dial type meters, the gears and bearings tend to go bad over time (30 years). These mechanical things would then obviously slow down. The new digital meters are pretty much either 99.9% accurate or they have a blank display, if they are working they are accurate, and if something goes wrong it kills the display (usually loose connection in the meter base causing heat build up and plastic melting).

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN

Also, check your appliances. Your bill seems very high for your claimed minimal usage.

Well, it's a possibility. I have 2 fridges one in the house, and one in the garage...along with a meat freezer.

The fridge in the house is new, along with the deep freezer. The Energy Star rating and estimated yearly cost on the tag seemed to be good to go. I remember paying attention to that when I bought them.

I watch little TV, and average 1 load of laundry a day.

My house is ALL electric. I have an electric stove and an electric heat pump. The heat pump is only other thing that could be sucking my juice, but like I said, I try to run it as little as possible.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    What kind of meter do you have? Manufacturer and model #? Something like ITRON C1SR, or GE I210 etc? Is it digital w no disk at all any more, or still have the dials and the disk or some kind of hybrid with a digital display but with a disk still?

Reps inbound for the explanation.

My meter is the old type you described with the discs. I will go out tomorrow and get the manufacturer / model # and post it up.

My house is going on 20 yrs old, and I'm assuming the meter is the original.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN

The fee would probably be the fact that if you are carrying a budget balance because you have Elect heat and paying it down now that heating season is ending (should be over), then going off the budget now would most likely cause the whole balance to be due at your next due date. If you have a credit though, your next bill would be lower then usually or nothing until your credit is used up.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    The Fridge in your garage is probably costing you the most. You are of course correct the heat pump is your big user. Next is your water heater also. Check the temp on the thermostat(s) (top and bottom) on your water heater. Many people turn it up because they like HOT showers etc but really should not be above 120.

Some other efficiency tips and calculators here:
    Energy Efficiency - Richmond Power & Light

If you are all elect I believe that you are already being careful because my budget is higher then yours ($229) and we have elect water heater but gas heat and our rates are slightly lower .(http://www.in.gov/iurc/files/2010_Residential_Bill_Survey_Presentation.pdf)

You can also ask them if they have some type of portable energy monitor you can borrow to plug in to your garage refrigerator (look up "kill a watt" on amazon or google). They are actually pretty cheap and you can move it around to see what your appliances are using.

Top Bottom