• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Anyone have any experience with how to get rid of and/or prevent ants from reappearing? I am have to kill 2-4 of them every single day. They are the big black ones which I assume are carpenter ants. Any help is greatly appreciated.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    You can get the bait containers, you can get the spray and spray around the inside walls and outside walls, you can get the granules and spread them outside. Stepping on the ones you see is doing nothing but killing the ones you see, have to get poison back to the nest and kill the queen.

Why you're seeing them, the ground is saturated with water and they are moving up and in.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Go to Lowes or where ever you can and get a pump container of Black Flag. That takes care of them at my place. The wand makes it easy to spray, too. One application behind the cabinets and along the baseboards does them in for the season.

bigcat1971

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Beech Grove, Indiana
    I have problems with them dam ants,and the only thing I found that works good for me is Terro liquid ant baits.Every time we get them that's what I us and it get's the job done right.You can get it at any walmart.:ar15:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have the little ants in the yard. Now they are moving into the house. I put out the granules twice in the yard and now am probably going to have to do it again. I'll have to take action on the ones who are starting to come in through the garage and vents in the brick of the house.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Also, put chalk dust (yes chalk like what the kids play with just ground up) in the back of your cabinets, in the groove of the outside door frames, and along the wall near any pet food. Ants won't cross the chalk and it is safe to have near food.

Learned this in a bio class in college and I've never had ants. The sprays are great where you don't have pets or food. I don't use the chalk INSTEAD of sprays, just in addition.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I can see it now..."Ok, ant, I dare you to cross that line *drawing a chalk line on the floor*..."Ok, ant, I dare you to knock that chip off my shoulder!" LOL

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    Also, put chalk dust (yes chalk like what the kids play with just ground up) in the back of your cabinets, in the groove of the outside door frames, and along the wall near any pet food. Ants won't cross the chalk and it is safe to have near food.
    Baby powder will work, too. Get Rid of Ants Cheaply and Naturally

I remember Granny also used vinegar and crushed mint leaves and cayenne pepper, as in the above link. She didn't like borax (it worked well too) because we always had small kids and animals around.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I have the little ants in the yard. Now they are moving into the house. I put out the granules twice in the yard and now am probably going to have to do it again. I'll have to take action on the ones who are starting to come in through the garage and vents in the brick of the house.

I have the same problem. We've had pretty good luck in the past using Ortho home defense a couple times a year. This year the rain keeps washing it away before it can take full effect. Our main issue is in the kitchen around the sink. We decided to make absolutely sure to leave no food sources like dirty dishes or open containers out at all, especially overnight. Its made a huge difference. Even with no chemicals at all, the ants have dwindled from hundreds per day to barely a few. I'd like to find a way to reduce their population on my property though. I was outside yesterday and saw a couple piles of them on my sidewalk that must've had a few thousand ants each. I don't know if I've ever seen that many at once before.

Top Bottom