Anyone know a Veterinarian that does housecalls?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My 14 YO border collie is in bad shape and needs to be put down. :( She is terrified of going to the vet, and I would hate to see her pass while shaking in fear. Can anyone provide info where I can find a vet who does housecalls for these purposes? I live in the Castleton area. Thanks.

Casey in her younger days. :)

45722619.jpg

topash

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Anywhere
    When my brother had this situation, his vet told him to give the dog 4 tylenol and it would go to sleep and not wake up. Supposed to be painless.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    When my brother had this situation, his vet told him to give the dog 4 tylenol and it would go to sleep and not wake up. Supposed to be painless.

Dont think that would be near enough tylenol, just put the dog down yourself. wrap a towl around its eyes if you cant stand to look your dog in the eyes before pulling the trigger.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Call your vet and give them the situation. Last dog I had to put down, my personal vet came to me. He was over 150 lbs and I couldn't move him. My vet wanted to be there and helped me get the body to the creamatorium. If your vet won't come, they should be able to refer to someone who would.

Best of luck and peace to you and yours in this time of suffering.

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Not sure that he will travel that far but you can try calling Dr. Brewster at Bean Blossom Animal Clinic. He usually visits farms etc to care for cattle, etc but also works with all pets.
    812-988-7922

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all the replies. My vet doesn't seem to wat to come out. She has been seeing her for only the last 12 years.... I can't do it myself, and my wife and daughters would prefer a "peaceful" end.

Here's another pic of her about 4 years ago wanting part of my sandwich. :D She hasn't been able to "sit pretty" for the last few years. If I have to, I'll spend the 300 bucks. She's worth it.

310571786.jpg

Viking Queen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Colorado
    Waveraider,

I'm so sorry you are having to make this decision. I have been there myself a few times so know how hard it is. Looks like you have gotten some good referrals. You are doing the kind thing for your faithful friend. I admire your wanting to spare her the anxiety of an office visit at the end.

When all is done and you have need for a veterinarian services again, I would look for another one who is more considerate of his/her clients needs.

My veterinarian does not make housecalls either, but would do so for this situation, unfortunately for you, we are in Colorado.

Take care, you and your family are in my prayers. By the way, she's a real cutie. I'm sure she'll be in your heart for a long long time.

Blessings, Viking Queen

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Hope I'm not too late to help. This vet has her whole practice out of an RV so I'm pretty confident she would come to you. Her sister is my facebook friend so I see status updates advertising her every once in a while.

Indy Mobile Vet House Calls Carmel Zionsville Indianapolis Brownsburg

You made me have this conversation with my wife about our dogs. We agreed that it would be ideal to have a housecall when that unfortunate time comes.

Also found this one.
    http://www.mobilevetcare.com/

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Had'nt checked in lately. She's hobbling even worse, and I need to do something soon. Bad part is, she is in very good spirits. Thanks for all the replies and support.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    I was thinking about this last night. Does the dog like water? I had a hound mix that we used to soak in the tub with white willow and comfrey to make his joints feel better. If she'll lay down it might give a her a touch of relief.

My heart really goes out to you.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Every time one of these threads come up, the damn wind picks up and I get a little dust in my eye...

Man's best friend, no doubt. I can't even begin to think of that day for our 4 year old Airedale Terrier, but it will come. I just hope I'm ready.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    i still remember my first dog I had to have put down. he was 12 or 13 when we had him put down two weeks before my 18th birthday, not my best birthday. Wish you and your family the best in this hard situation.

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks again for the thoughts. The Mobile Vet from Zionsville sounds like the best alternative. My wife and I decided we will probably do it early next week. This is killing me just thinking about it.

Tonight I walked in the door and she walked up wagging her tail happy to see me. 20 minutes later in the back yard, she can't stand up and I have to pick her up and carry her in the house.

On a better note, I fried up a whole pack of bacon for her treats and she's loving it. :D

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    ive been through this before and its never easy to say goodbye to a loved one. some people think of a dog as a pet or an animal. but to those of us who share our lives with them they are our family and our friend. i pray for you and your family and the one you are about to lose.

Top Bottom