• What kind of bed?

• Total voters

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    After 5 years off tossing and turning on an old lumpy mattress thats older than I am (no joke... was the spare in my parents house and they gave it to me when I moved out)... im ready to buy a new one. Infact, the mere thought of spending another night on that bed has me ready to go out looking for a 24hr mattress store.

My questions to the great ingo knowledge-base, is what kind? Do I go sleep-number, temperpedic foam, box-spring and spring mattress, plain old single mattress, or some 5th option ive never heard of? Waterbed isnt an option due to my lease (water damage potential and what not)

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Kingsdown here. Spent a pretty penny for it 4 years ago but man do I sleep like a baby! Your bed is something to take a little time looking for and spend a little money. A good nights rest is just what the doctor ordered!

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    I can tell you what NOT to get! A Serta Pisces plushtop. Less than a year old and it already has low spots. I sleep better on my son's ancient rock hard mattress than this thing. Paid almost $1800, should have got a sleep number bed... :spend::toilet2:

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    I can tell you what NOT to get! A Serta Pisces plushtop. Less than a year old and it already has low spots. I sleep better on my son's ancient rock hard mattress than this thing. Paid almost $1800, should have got a sleep number bed... :spend::toilet2:

Aside from the Sleepnumber part I can 100% confirm this. I will never spend a cent on anyhting Serta again, they have turned into garbage.

Kingsdown here. Spent a pretty penny for it 4 years ago but man do I sleep like a baby! Your bed is something to take a little time looking for and spend a little money. A good nights rest is just what the doctor ordered!

:+1:

I like the firm Temperpedic matresses the best but they are a good bit warmer then a normal old spring matress.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Anything but a Tempurpedic. Absolutely, the most uncomfortable thing I have ever tried to sleep on. My garage floor is more comfortable than my Tempurpedic.

Bflo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Anything but a Tempurpedic. Absolutely, the most uncomfortable thing I have ever tried to sleep on. My garage floor is more comfortable than my Tempurpedic.

I agree with this. Tempurpedics seem to be a love it or hate it type thing. When my wife and I bought ours, they gave us the option of 2 free pillows or a 90 day money back guarantee. It was the most uncomfortable thing I ever slept on, and it was returned.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    We have a Sleep Number bed and really enjoy how you can adjust the firmness to how you're feeling. My husband leaves his on one setting most the time. I change mine depending on how sore I am from work. Sometimes I just need a softer bed, while other times I like a firmer bed. So it's perfect for me. I know some people that have had a sleep number bed for 15 years and it's as good today as it was the day they bought it.

One other thing to remember about Temperpedic mattresses, is that they sleep hot. So if you have a wife who is any where near having her own summer heat waves, you want to stay away from one of these. They are like sleeping on a heating pad because they hold your body heat. Trust me a wife who can't sleep is not a wife you want to be around for long. :D

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    my wife and I have a sleep number and love it. You have to go to the store and try them out. they have different options as far as foam pads on top of the air mattress and other things. plus if you ever mood you can deflate it and roll it up. I was able to move our king size bed and the foundation in my S10 with enough room to fit my 75 gallon aquarium, base and all the pumps, filters and accessories with room to spare.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Our current mattress is about 10 years old, so the wife and I are starting to talk about getting a new one. Temperpedic and SleepNumber are at the top of our list, but Im more interested in the SleepNumber.

Since we spend approx 1/3 of our day in bed (hopefully), Im not worried about spending a little money to get something good.

How much do the sleepnumber beds usually run? There is a store in our mall, but I avoid the mall if I can so Ive never talked with them about it.

Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    We spent a ton on our Kingsdown a few years ago, and have not liked it since the second week (even had it replaced once).

Temperpedic, like others have said, hold heat and that won't work for me, so we are looking at the Sleep Number.

Sorry to threadjack (maybe OP can benefit as well), For you Sleep Number Owners... Can you get away with using your standard box frame, as a foundation, for a king size mattress?

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    We spent a ton on our Kingsdown a few years ago, and have not liked it since the second week (even had it replaced once).

Temperpedic, like others have said, hold heat and that won't work for me, so we are looking at the Sleep Number.

Sorry to threadjack (maybe OP can benefit as well), For you Sleep Number Owners... Can you get away with using your standard box frame, as a foundation, for a king size mattress?

Not thread jacking as thats a valuable question for me too. Id love the temperpedic, was laying in one at the mall today, but as im a hot sleeper apparently they just won't work :/

Thanks for all your input everyone, and thanks to anyone who posts on this in the future!

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Go to IKEA in Cincinnati and get a 100% latex foam mattress. We have one that we purchased 11 years ago from a local mattress store here (and paid $$$$) for it but they are very worth it. They're also much more affordable now. oh and skip out on anything that has memory foam in it as it's a lesser quality foam what you want is 100% latex.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Another Sleep Number here. We went through several fancy pillow-top mattresses before we bought it. We are never going back!

Where the Tempurpedic tends to sleep "hot", the Sleep Number seems to sleep "cool". My wife loves it.

My only complaint: since it is an air mattress, it will get slightly firmer or softer as atmospheric pressure changes. We just air it up 100% every once in a while and then reset to "our" number.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    How much do the sleepnumber beds usually run? There is a store in our mall, but I avoid the mall if I can so Ive never talked with them about it.

We bought ours two years ago and got the next step up from the basic in a California King, since my husband is so tall he doesn't fit in a standard length bed. I think the total cost was around $3000, with a set of sheets and a waterproof matress protector included.

They want a solid surface under the mattress and King size box springs are really twin springs put together. I don't believe you can from what they told us, but you would really have to ask the salesperson.

The "springs" you use for a sleep number bed is really just a plastic frame that fits together. Everything is shipped to you in boxes. I think ours came in 6 or 7 different boxes. It's really neat to see the boxes turn into a bed. Your bed is shipped to you so don't think you will have your bed the next day. They make your bed when you order it and it takes ten to fourteen days to receive it.

Top Bottom