• ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Two-week old A/C unit GONE!!!!!!

And the tenant who sees EVERYTHING and EVERYBODY doesn't even know it's gone when she calls to tell me her unit isn't cooling? Riiiiiiight.

Too bad for her, I'm not replacing it out of pocket. If insurance covers it, I *might* replaced it. But it really depends on what kind of mood I'm in when it's decision-time.

Why couldn't they have burned the placed down while they were at it?

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    bummer. That really sucks. hope the catch the guys but my experience has been that IMPD or any other dept doesn't really care about metal thieves they just take the info over the phone and give you a case number for insurance purposes.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Two-week old A/C unit GONE!!!!!!

And the tenant who sees EVERYTHING and EVERYBODY doesn't even know it's gone when she calls to tell me her unit isn't cooling? Riiiiiiight.

Too bad for her, I'm not replacing it out of pocket. If insurance covers it, I *might* replaced it. But it really depends on what kind of mood I'm in when it's decision-time.

Why couldn't they have burned the placed down while they were at it?

That no good happy bouncy unicorn should be quartered, You're going to have to make a steel bar cage for your next A/C unit:twocents:

Last edited by a moderator:

jsheets1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Portage NWI
    I do hvac for a living. Can hook you up if need be. They do make a special alarm that goes off if the low voltage wires are cut. The other option is to put a small cage around it using kennel panels. If you wanna get really nasty wire a leg of the 220 straight to the metal on the unit. The thief will look like a squirrel caught in a transformer lol.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Crap like this is why I don't think I could ever be a landlord. I'd end up on the receiving end of a lawsuit or in jail.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    That no good happy bouncy unicorn should be quartered, You're going to have to make a steel bar cage for your next A/C unit:twocents:
    Happy bouncy unicorn :lmfao: as for the OP, It's the crappy economy, they'll try to steal anything they can get their hands on and unfortunatly a/c units are the hot item now.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Crap like this is why I don't think I could ever be a landlord. I'd end up on the receiving end of a lawsuit or in jail.

I have 5 rental homes, so far i've been lucky with not having the A/C unit stolen:yesway:

I own/manage 7 different units. Easily 95% of the problems occur in this one double. The stories I could tell with this unit. Crack addict prostitutes, joint investigations with federal drug agencies and local LE, doors beaten with baseball bats, door locks superglued, doors kicked in, thugs drawing guns on each other in the front yard, attempted forced entry while I was waiting on someone to show up, forced entry on a tenant (not so sure that wasn't brought on by the tenant though), tenant letting his dog defecate in the house for a week because he was mad he was being evicted for not paying his rent, illegals using stolen SSN for application, possible illegals using SSN of deceased people on applications. Along with the standard domestic violence calls, naked man running down the street, and armed robbery in the alley. And that's what I KNOW has happened. And ALL of them involved my unit or my tenants.

Of course, the next door unit was no-knocked according to my current tenant, so I guess I got lucky.

But it's real estate and you know what they say about real estate: location, location, location.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    My buddies AC unit at an empty in-laws house had an attempted at being stolen about 5 weeks ago, evidently they was a little close to the freon line when they cut and must have gotten a freon burn and left.

They got it fixed that morning after it happened and the thieves must have thought that no one would have have noticed it and came back a few days later and cut the power line and did not notice the freon line was repaired. I guess they did'nt want to mess with getting frozen again.

That gave me time to go over and make a cage around it using 4 inch chain link corner posts spaced 1 foot apart that had lengths of the posts running across it also with locks on them so you had to work hard at it to get it off.

They want to steal them quick and get out of there, you'd have to work at this at least 10 minutes to get it now.

I want to do this to mine but since I have one of these humongous hybrid heat pumps systems with an AC rating of 16.5 sear and a 9.0 HSPF on on the heat pump, I have to save up and buy 8 foot poles to do it right, these are not cheap.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I own/manage 7 different units. Easily 95% of the problems occur in this one double. The stories I could tell with this unit. Crack addict prostitutes, joint investigations with federal drug agencies and local LE, doors beaten with baseball bats, door locks superglued, doors kicked in, thugs drawing guns on each other in the front yard, attempted forced entry while I was waiting on someone to show up, forced entry on a tenant (not so sure that wasn't brought on by the tenant though), tenant letting his dog defecate in the house for a week because he was mad he was being evicted for not paying his rent, illegals using stolen SSN for application, possible illegals using SSN of deceased people on applications. Along with the standard domestic violence calls, naked man running down the street, and armed robbery in the alley. And that's what I KNOW has happened. And ALL of them involved my unit or my tenants.

Of course, the next door unit was no-knocked according to my current tenant, so I guess I got lucky.

But it's real estate and you know what they say about real estate: location, location, location.

The worst I've had was I bought a home & the lady with the 3 year old son that was living there, I told them that I'm giving her 2 month of FREE rent, but she had to find another place to move to. The 2 month came & she was still there, So I had to walk in thur a sliding glass door, lock it & buy NEW DEAD BOLTS, & I left her a letter taped to the front door, to call me. She called alright, cussed my out like a drunken sailor, & said she was going to call the cops, I just told her that nothing was removed from the home., That the cocaine was still on top of the mirror next to the razor, I'll be more than glad to open the doors for the COPS or the DEPARTMENT of CHILDREN & FAMILY. She packed up & moved:rockwoot:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    The worst I've had was I bought a home & the lady with the 3 year old son that was living there, I told them that I'm giving her 2 month of FREE rent, but she had to find another place to move to. The 2 month came & she was still there, So I had to walk in thur a sliding glass door, lock it & buy NEW DEAD BOLTS, & I left her a letter taped to the front door, to call me. She called alright, cussed my out like a drunken sailor, & said she was going to call the cops, I just told her that nothing was removed from the home., That the cocaine was still on top of the mirror next to the razor, I'll be more than glad to open the doors for the COPS or the DEPARTMENT of CHILDREN & FAMILY. She packed up & moved:rockwoot:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I do hvac for a living. Can hook you up if need be. They do make a special alarm that goes off if the low voltage wires are cut. The other option is to put a small cage around it using kennel panels. If you wanna get really nasty wire a leg of the 220 straight to the metal on the unit. The thief will look like a squirrel caught in a transformer lol.
    That would have lawsuit written all over it, however, you would know who the thief is. Or was:yesway:.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    We had rooftop Hvac units that were cut loose even with armed security guards inside!
    The insurance and the parts replacement were more $ than to put 2 new units on with a crane. Scrappers are everywhere. Leave something by your curb it will be gone in no time.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Lock-outs are illegal. So is turning off utilities. Eviction is judicial and nothing else. The tenants at Chester (the unit in the OP) would still file suit on your ass and claim the drugs were planted by you. They know the system well.

Glad I went with Geothermal. No ac unit outside.

Homes built in the 1920s didn't get those, and a 30-foot wide lot with less than 10 ft between the homes doesn't make for easy installation. And even if I could, the cost for a rental of this, ahem, quality, is prohibitive.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Sorry 88, thieves are the near the bottom of the cess-pool. My employer has a "kennel" around the A/C units. I had to ask what they were for :rolleyes:. I guess I live a sheltered life, but now I have something else to worry about.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Homes built in the 1920s didn't get those, and a 30-foot wide lot with less than 10 ft between the homes doesn't make for easy installation. And even if I could, the cost for a rental of this, ahem, quality, is prohibitive.

Another reason I refused to rent out any of the 3 houses I sold. I would have burnt them down first.

Top Bottom