Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The term "Keep right except to pass". Do you:

A.) Know it, live it.

B.) Never heard of it.

C.) Ya, don't care. I drive where I want.

D.) That doesn't work anymore, it's safer in the left lane.

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    The term "Keep right except to pass". Do you:

A.) Know it, live it.

B.) Never heard of it.

C.) Ya, don't care. I drive where I want.

D.) That doesn't work anymore, it's safer in the left lane.

Know it, live it.
    Most of the time I'm passing so it's left lane for me! :D

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I did not vote, and here's why, I drive, USUALLY, in the MIDDLE lane, I don't like "messing with", the people entering, and exiting.... The fast ones, can pass, me on the left, and that is fine, if I am going on a long distance drive, 45 min, or more, I use the left lane, and set my cruise, accordingly ... on a 2 lane, such as I-70, I generally use the left lane, until, I prepare to exit ..... I think, this is reasonable....
    I used to drive 465, at 4:30, pm, to fo to Lebanon, and set the cruise, for 65, the limit, is 55, I got flipped off, horns honked, and several other things, but whenever, Police, were, in the area, EVERYONE, got behind ME !!!!!:twocents:

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    On 465, the right TWO lanes are hazardous to your health around just about any exit nowadays. I usually stick toward the middle lane(s) when possible, but will happily move to the left to avoid all the idiots charging up to cut in at the last minute so they can make their exit. Just safer to avoid them.

I always think it's a pity the LEO's don't set a speed trap right by one of the exits so they can catch the lane divers who also happen to speed right up to the last possible second.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    honestly have never heard of it, but I usually do it when I'm not hauling ass and passing everyone. I don't at dusk/night, simply because I have this insane phobia of a deer jumping out in front of me, and they usually come from the right side of the highway.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I did not vote, and here's why, I drive, USUALLY, in the MIDDLE lane, I don't like "messing with", the people entering, and exiting.... The fast ones, can pass, me on the left, and that is fine, if I am going on a long distance drive, 45 min, or more, I use the left lane, and set my cruise, accordingly ... on a 2 lane, such as I-70, I generally use the left lane, until, I prepare to exit ..... I think, this is reasonable....

Reasonable statement.

Reasonable question: "What if" someone comes up on you going 10mph faster and there's only two lanes. Do you sit, or do you move right when it's clear?

And no, I'm not picking you to make my point. I am really trying to understand.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I absolutely hate being on the highway, stuck doing 50 MPH. Why?, because the moron in front of me, and in the left lane, think it's cool to do 50 MPH. So, I'm stuck and can not pass. If you are not going to go with the flow of traffic, get the F out of the way.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I am usually a left laner. I believe it to be safer as I can see more of the road and I have more of a buffer from things that enter/stop on the road (cops, merging cars, animals) and I believe that not moving with the pace is dangerous as well (ex. doing 55 when EVERYONE ELSE is doing 70).

On a normal two lane, I normally drive in the left lane at 5+ MPH above the limit on the freeway, until another car or group of cars approach, then I move over until they pass, then drop in behind them and match speed and set cruise.

I drive 465 alot and this is the unwritten rule I usually observe others following and I do as well...
    The right lane is for exiting and merging, center for semis and limiters, left for cruising, far left for crazies and cops.

IMO: People in Michigan have the right idea, I love driving there. They drive in groups, limiters (still 70) and semis on the right, groups of passers on the left.

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I am usually a left laner. I believe it to be safer as I can see more of the road and I have more of a buffer from things that enter on the road (other cars, animals) and I believe that not moving with the pace is dangerous as well (ex. doing 55 when EVERYONE ELSE is doing 70). I normally drive in the left lane at 5 MPH above the limit on the freeway, until another car or group of cars approach, then I move over until they pass, then drop in behind them and match speed and set cruise.

When you become king of the world, would you please make this a law with violation immediate punishment by death??

Edit: When my wife read this she asked "why are you making fun of him?" To be clear: IMHO the description K_Watson gives of how it should work is my view exactly...

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I voted A, but usually drive the center lane just so I don't have to deal with people that have no idea how to merge.
    On a two lane I drive in the left lane, usually passing people. When someone comes up behind me, I move over as soo as I safely can. I try to be curteous, at least until somebody p***es me off.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My thoughts:

3 (or more) lanes
    - far right for local traffic and merging
    - middle for through traffic (esp trucks)
    - left for passing

2 lanes:
    - right for through and merging, unless traffic is way too heavy
    - left for passing, or for through if traffic is heavy

Basically, I hate it when folks hold up traffic, so I try to be courteous myself.

Special note to the blue-hairs driving 5-10 UNDER the speed limit on state highways: you are NOT being extra safe. There are 20 cars stacked up behind you wondering WTF is going on.

Noland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    N IN
    I stay in the right lane except for on the rare occasion that I want to pass somebody. They have to be going quite a bit under the limit for me to feel the need.

I am content to let the leadfeet run their races while I spectate.

I get better fuel mileage and they get to wherever they are going 30 seconds faster. Win/Win

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Yeah, if someone is in the left lane and backing up the line of those who want to pass--regardless of the speed--they should be flogged in a spot right out on the highway where people can honk in agreement as they pass by. Remember though, NO GAWKING! You're worse than the dweeb who won't get out of the passing lane!

Top Bottom