• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    I just bought a 15 foot boat with trailer from someone. The boat was easy to register with the bill of sale but i am having a problem recovering the title for the trailer. I did not know that all trailers need a title to get a plate for it. I have the bill of sale for the trailer but the thing has an mvin number on it and the people at the bmv said I would need to contact the original owners to get the title for it. The problem is the original owners were from 10 years ago and I have no way of getting a hold of them. I was just wondering if i can take off the old numbers and file for some new ones? How much trouble would I be in if I did this??? It is almost easier to go this route than trying to get a court order to find the original title...
    thanks for the help guys:)

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    You will need to get a LEO to run a check on the trailer, apply for a lost title, then have the state issue new VIN numbers. It sounds simple but any time you are dealing with the BMV it is guaranteed to turn into a big hassle. I have never heard of getting a court order for a lost title.

If you need the forms for the LEO to fill out I can mail you some, providing I still have a copy of them at work.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I'm pretty sure a lost title can only be applied for by someone who had the vehicle/trailer titled in their name before. If you haven't ever had it titled in your name I believe a court ordered title is your only option.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    I'm pretty sure a lost title can only be applied for by someone who had the vehicle/trailer titled in their name before. If you haven't ever had it titled in your name I believe a court ordered title is your only option.
    how would I go about doing that???

b0Rn~c0nfus3d

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010

This^^ Court order titles dont really take long i had to do it on a cargo trailer. Im sure i waited less then 2 wks for the judge to sign and return it.

b0Rn~c0nfus3d

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    What are the details? Is there a form and fees?

Go to local court house with papers you have bill of sale vin#. They will have you fill out some papers and make your statement and pass it to the judge, he then reviews it, signs it then he will mail it back to you, you will pay the fees at the bmv. The court will just give you the papers for the court order.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Go to local court house with papers you have bill of sale vin#. They will have you fill out some papers and make your statement and pass it to the judge, he then reviews it, signs it then he will mail it back to you, you will pay the fees at the bmv. The court will just give you the papers for the court order.

That sounds like what I heard before.

Bitter Clinger

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2011
    Florida
    You mean you have the bill of sale and that's not enough for Big Brother?

I swear the northern states are like 1936 germany with their regulations.

Top Bottom