• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Welcome to The Official INGO Beer Snob Thread!

The rules of this thread are simple: Drink a craft beer and post a review. The idea is to locate craft beers available in Indiana and try to introduce them to your friends on INGO. Please limit your reviews to one review per post. While I'd like to encourage discussion of a particular beer, please try to stay on-topic so the thread doesn't get cluttered with a lot of extraneous posts.

I'm currently working on my recently-acquired Baltika "Number 3" (seriously, it's called "3") and will post up a review soon.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Baltika #3
    1pt, 9oz
    4.8% ABV

6ekg34.jpg

This was my first Russian beer. I purchased several different styles from the same St. Petersburg, Russia brewery from Chalet in Goshen, IN. The #3 is just listed as "Classic Beer", which turns out to be a rather pale lager. Although the "Best Before" date was 12/10, the pour was surprisingly not skunky. It ended with a good head and a lot of carbonation. The aroma had a slightly sweet smell to it, with just a hint of hops. The flavor was light, as I would expect from a light lager, but it actually HAD flavor, which I didn't expect. It had a fairly hoppy start but quickly faded into a very faint sweet malt taste.

When I poured the beer, my first thought was that it looked exactly like Coors Light and I was about to drink something akin to carbonated mountain goat urine. However, the taste was surprisingly pleasant, if generally unremarkable. If I didn't know it was a Russian beer, I would say it was any generic American light lager. It complemented the slice of cold pizza rather well, however. I rate it a C+. Worth trying, just so you can say you've tried expired Russian beer, but probably not worth trying again.

ETA: The flavor is quickly going downhill as it warms up. This is clearly meant to be drunk ice-cold.

Last edited:

MrFive

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Delirium Tremens

My kinda thread :D

Delirium Tremens

A sweet taste, sorta like a Blue Moon, but there is a lot more flavor, more floating in it, and more carbonation. Has a sister beer Delirium Nocturnum which has more of a bitter taste.

Pricey but well worth it.

016.jpg

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    Alexander Keith's
    Nova Scotia Brown Ale:
    nova-scotia-brown.jpg

What they say:
    This classic full-bodied brown ale delivers hints of honey and caramel that is balanced with a fresh hop aroma provided by the addition of cascade hops. This brew has a deep, nut-brown color with an amber highlight. A masterfully balanced brew that will be sure to appeal to those seeking a beer that is authentic to the style of the region.

What I say:
    Appearance: Brown in color with mahogany hues; nice bit of light tan head.
    Smell: Fairly neutral; a bit of nutty roastiness from the malt, some sweet notes.
    Taste: Sweet and malty, a bit of chocolate, very well restrained; nice roast on the malts that isn’t astringent at all. At the same time it has a nice pleaant sweetness with no lingering or unpleasant aftertaste.
    Mouthfeel: A smooth, medium-bodied, well-balanced beer.
    Overall: Very nice brown ale, a pleasure to drink.

MrFive

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Horse **** Beer

It is a um..."multi purpose beer" Has a taste, color, head consistent with miller lite but just a little bit better but if you stick that in the fridge, people will either want to try it because of the name but most make a comment and not touch it....more beer for you.
    Or conversation starter...lol

Website says the distribution has increased in Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio but the only place I can seem to find it is at a liquor store off 86th and Allisonville near the Fox & Hound and only around derby time.

2636196715_46b1b20c61.jpg

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    It is a um..."multi purpose beer" Has a taste, color, head consistent with miller lite but just a little bit better but if you stick that in the fridge, people will either want to try it because of the name but most make a comment and not touch it....more beer for you.
    Or conversation starter...lol

Website says the distribution has increased in Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio but the only place I can seem to find it is at a liquor store off 86th and Allisonville near the Fox & Hound and only around derby time.

2636196715_46b1b20c61.jpg

They carry this beer at Kahn's at 86th & Township Line Rd.

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    Just poured a pint of Wee Mac from Indy's own Sun King. It's a nice dark amber Scottish style ale. 5.3% ABV. It's kinda like a Smithwicks, but better IMO. Sun King is fast becoming a favorite of mine.

Bflo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Brooklyn Summer Ale
    12oz bottle
    5% ABV

summerale.jpg

Appearance: Golden in color and mostly clear. Very thin white head.

Smell: Bready and sweet, with a little citrus.

Taste: Malty with a little bit of citrus. Crisp and dry.

Mouthfeel: Light, with medium carbonation.

Overall: I tend to like dark beers, so that may have biased my review somewhat. It is marketed as “a summer refresher,” however it does little to stand out from all of the other summer ales and wheats on the market. It’s a step above generic American lagers while remaining onenote. Drinkable, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to get it. Grade: B-

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.

Tried this @ the St. James Restaurant in Avilla In. Being an IPA fan, as I remember, ( I drank 2 large ) & as the package says it is really hopped up. It had a light color, kinda like a Blue moon. Being hopped up, it is somewhat bitter, but smooth, & citrusy. Very nice delicate head. I told a friend to try it ( strictly a Bud drinker ), he said he couldn't finish it. Wimp. Be careful, this beer is 8.2 % abv.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Whippet Wheat
    Thirsty Dog Brewing Company, Akron OH
    5.2% ABV

qslbaw.jpg

Appearance: Cloudy butterscotch in color, with a very light head that dissipates quickly after pour
    Smell: Light citrus overtones, despite claiming to be a "German-style hefeweizen"
    Taste: A very malty, yeasty start that fades quickly. Distinct vanilla and banana aromas on first contact with the tongue. Has a slightly metallic tang to it that is fairly typical for a wheat beer.
    Mouthfeel: A light-tasting, lightly carbonated beer with a balanced flavor
    Overall: This is a fairly interesting hef in that it is made with 50% wheat malt, which shows in both the appearance and the taste. It's meant to be served at 37 degrees and I believe it. It's clear that this is a fine beer for sitting on the porch and drinking on a lazy summer Sunday afternoon. I give it a B+, but I'm partial to Hefeweizens so I may be scoring it high.

This beer came from Mr. G's in Noblesville as part of a pick-six, so expect to see reviews of the remaining five before long. :thumbsup:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Welcome to The Official INGO Beer Snob Thread!

The rules of this thread are simple: Drink a craft beer and post a review. The idea is to locate craft beers available in Indiana and try to introduce them to your friends on INGO. Please limit your reviews to one review per post. While I'd like to encourage discussion of a particular beer, please try to stay on-topic so the thread doesn't get cluttered with a lot of extraneous posts.

Remember that you have to actually post a review of the beer. "It's great!" is not a review. Tell us why you like it in more than one or two sentences. Who makes it? Where did you buy it? Why should we buy (or not buy) it? What kind of food does it go well with? Should it be drunk cool or ice cold? Remember that this is a "review" thread, not a "this is a picture of my favorite beer" thread.

You can use one of the other reviews in this thread as a template:
    Name of beer
    Brewer
    Alcohol content and size (if non-standard)

Appearance:
    Smell:
    Taste:
    Mouthfeel:
    Overall:
    Letter grade:

You don't HAVE to follow this format, but we'd like to see more detail than "I drank this once and it was good!" C'mon, we're BEER SNOBS! :):

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    wee-mac.jpg

I also tried and love the Wee Mac Scottish Ale from Sun King Brewing in Indianapolis. I know someone else mentioned it, but this is an actual review.

5.3% ABV
    Dark, hazelnut color

This beer definitely has a bit of a "chewy" texture. It is as close to a traditional Scottish Ale as you're going to get from an American micro-brew. I have had it from a can twice and it was served near ice cold and was great. I have ordered it draft as well and when it was cold it was equally great, but definately lost its greatness as the temperature rose. The flavor is sort of sweet with just enough body to back it up. It is not for the faint of heart, and if you are a fan of the American "light/lite" beers, this is probably not for you. If Guinness is too dark for you but you do like "darker" beers, you will find this highly enjoyable. I highly recommend Wee Mac Scottish Ale and give it an A. The other offerings from Sun King are great too.

You can try this beer at Kilroy's Indy. They have it on tap and in cans. It is also sold in cans in many local liquor stores.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Dreadnaught IPA
    Three Floyds Brewing - Indiana
    9.5% ABV

HrVOo.jpg

I'm not a beer snob but I wanted to take part in this so I found one of the most expensive beers at the liquor store and a bonus was it's made in Northern Indiana :yesway:

Appearance: Looks like beer. Not very dark. See pic

Smell: Fruity

Taste: Like ass. I took it out of fridge opened it and let it sit for 10 minutes. It tasted fruity and had a bitter after tase. I let it sit longer and as it warmed up it tasted much better to me.. Lesson learned.

Mouthfeel: Fruity beer

This set me back nearly $14.00 and I won't buy it again. I drank Upland Wheat when I lived in Bloomington and would much prefer to drink that and save money.

Grade B-

:twocents:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Stone Brewery Double Bastard Ale
    Appearance very nice dark amber color
    the head was like a real nice stout, creamy in color
    Taste was pretty strong at first, and not too bad, but after half of a glass, it was rather bitter, it came in a 22oz bottle I muddled my way through it, and is was 11% abv, by the end of the bottle I was not enjoying it, ok the buzz was nice!...not driving<-----
    Now, I've had beers in England, and Germany, and even the British bitters were not as strong. I knew I should have got the Lefthanded Sawtooth bitter ale! Next time I go to Buckhead's I will!!
    If you buy this give it to someone you don't like...... Sorry for the crappy cell phone picture
    download

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Regal Double Pilsner
    Breckinridge Brewery, Denver CO
    7% ABV

jgp6hl.jpg

Appearance: Honey golden and clear, with a light, amber head that hangs around like a hooker you forgot to tip.

Smell: Almost no odor whatsoever.

Taste: A very sweet, toffee start, showing off a lot of malt, with a heavy, bready middle. It finishes off with an herbal, hoppy bitterness that lingers. It's a weird mix of flavors that don't really add up to a comfortable beer.

Mouthfeel: It has a fairly chewy, oily texture to it and the high alcohol content offers a sharpness that counteracts any smoothness the malt has to offer.

Overall: As a pilsner, it's hard to enjoy. It requires a little bit of work on the part of the drinker to embrace. The harsh alcohol sting and the hoppy bitterness really fight with the sticky sweetness of the malt and you end up with a bit of a mess of flavors that don't complement one another very well. I'd give this a C+. On the whole, I would have preferred one of Spasmo's Bartles & Jaymes Mojitos. This was Number 2 of the Pick-Six from Mr. G's in Noblesville.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    American Amber Ale
    Rogue Ales, Oregon, USA
    5.6 ABV

UXdvu.jpg

Appearance: Dark amber color

Smell: Coffeeish

Taste: Coffe / chocolatish malt taste.

Mouthfeel: Nice

Overall: I liked it. Cost me $6. Easy to drink (smooth) and tasty. No bitterness

I'd give it a B

Bflo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Upland Brewing Company Oktoberfest
    6.5ABV
    Draught

UplandOF.jpg

Appearance: Clear amber with minimal head and lacing.

Smell: Mild malt with a touch of grass. Very mild.

Taste: Carmel and malt with some grassy hops.

Mouthfeel: medium body and medium carbonation. Clean finish.

Overall: Well balanced and somewhat mild. I look forward to enjoy this easy drinking brew throughout the fall. B+.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    IMG_1362.jpg

Bell's Batch 10,000 the last of a series

For awhile Bell's has been brewing a one off for every 1000 batches of brew I started with 7k and have bought a sixer every since. They have all been really good and this was suprisingly no exception.

Our owner Larry Bell remembers going through his brewing supplies and making the last homebrew out of whatever malts and hops were left from his brewing months. With this being the motivation behind our last commemorative batch series beer, we combed through the catalogs of many malt and hop suppliers to source 100 different malts, grains, and other fermentables. This is balanced by the addition of 60 different hop varietals between the kettle and dry hopping.

Appearance: DARK brown almost black Thick creamy head and great lacing

Smell: Hoppy and strong, very malty on the nose, smells like my type of beer.

Taste: Just how it smells really dark roasted malts, sweet and then a bit bitter at the end.

Overall: I was afraid with all of the ingredients thrown it it was going to be a bit of a mess but it was a pretty good strong ale. Not the best mind you but not bad. I have a few more of these that are aging and we will see how they do

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I love super full bodied heavy tasting beer and this is the best one I have found so far:
    SIERRA NEVADA

photo-79.jpg

Huge flavor, 5.6 ABV. Deep amber color. I love it. A little pricey, but well worth it. I recommend all beer critics give it a shot if you have not already.

Bflo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Flying Dog Brewery
    Gonzo Imperial Porter
    9.2 ABV
    12 oz Bottle

gonzoporter.jpg

Appearance: It is a very dark - nearly opaque – brown/black, as a porter should be. The head is tan in color with fine lacing.

Smell: It has a very spicy smell with a bit of coffee and chocolate. You can definitely tell by the smell that they weren’t shy with the alcohol content.

Taste: The boozy smell carries over to the taste. Definite roasted malt with a hint of hoppy citrus in the background.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied for a porter, not so thick that you can chew it. Nice moderate carbonation. Goes down smooth.

Overall: I’m not wild about the fact that it comes in a four-pack (for a six-pack price). It’s “brewed to honor the life of Hunter S. Thompson,” and is emblazoned with the HST quote: “Good people drink good beer.” While I like Hunter S. Thompson, I think this is a bit of a gimmick.
    I had it cold out of the refrigerator, and as it warmed up a little bit the flavors came out a bit more and was more enjoyable.
    It’s a bold, strong beer and I enjoyed drinking it. I’ll probably get another four-pack to enjoy, once there is some snow on the ground; a good winter brew. B+

Last edited:
    Top Bottom