Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 66 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

The Official INGO Beer Snob Thread

Welcome to The Official INGO Beer Snob Thread!

The rules of this thread are simple: Drink a craft beer and post a review. The idea is to locate craft beers available in Indiana and try to introduce them to your friends on INGO. Please limit your reviews to one review per post. While I'd like to encourage discussion of a particular beer, please try to stay on-topic so the thread doesn't get cluttered with a lot of extraneous posts.

I'm currently working on my recently-acquired Baltika "Number 3" (seriously, it's called "3") and will post up a review soon.

Meh.

User Info Menu

Baltika #3
    1pt, 9oz
    4.8% ABV

This was my first Russian beer. I purchased several different styles from the same St. Petersburg, Russia brewery from Chalet in Goshen, IN. The #3 is just listed as "Classic Beer", which turns out to be a rather pale lager. Although the "Best Before" date was 12/10, the pour was surprisingly not skunky. It ended with a good head and a lot of carbonation. The aroma had a slightly sweet smell to it, with just a hint of hops. The flavor was light, as I would expect from a light lager, but it actually HAD flavor, which I didn't expect. It had a fairly hoppy start but quickly faded into a very faint sweet malt taste.

When I poured the beer, my first thought was that it looked exactly like Coors Light and I was about to drink something akin to carbonated mountain goat urine. However, the taste was surprisingly pleasant, if generally unremarkable. If I didn't know it was a Russian beer, I would say it was any generic American light lager. It complemented the slice of cold pizza rather well, however. I rate it a C+. Worth trying, just so you can say you've tried expired Russian beer, but probably not worth trying again.

ETA: The flavor is quickly going downhill as it warms up. This is clearly meant to be drunk ice-cold.
    Last edited by Scutter01; 08-14-2011 at 19:46.

Meh.

User Info Menu

Delirium Tremens

My kinda thread

Delirium Tremens

A sweet taste, sorta like a Blue Moon, but there is a lot more flavor, more floating in it, and more carbonation. Has a sister beer Delirium Nocturnum which has more of a bitter taste.

Pricey but well worth it.

Iz in ur bases, killin ur dudez...

User Info Menu

Alexander Keith's
    Nova Scotia Brown Ale:

What they say:
    This classic full-bodied brown ale delivers hints of honey and caramel that is balanced with a fresh hop aroma provided by the addition of cascade hops. This brew has a deep, nut-brown color with an amber highlight. A masterfully balanced brew that will be sure to appeal to those seeking a beer that is authentic to the style of the region.

What I say:
    Appearance: Brown in color with mahogany hues; nice bit of light tan head.
    Smell: Fairly neutral; a bit of nutty roastiness from the malt, some sweet notes.
    Taste: Sweet and malty, a bit of chocolate, very well restrained; nice roast on the malts that isnít astringent at all. At the same time it has a nice pleaant sweetness with no lingering or unpleasant aftertaste.
    Mouthfeel: A smooth, medium-bodied, well-balanced beer.
    Overall: Very nice brown ale, a pleasure to drink.
    An armed society is a polite society.

User Info Menu

Horse Piss Beer

It is a um..."multi purpose beer" Has a taste, color, head consistent with miller lite but just a little bit better but if you stick that in the fridge, people will either want to try it because of the name but most make a comment and not touch it....more beer for you.
    Or conversation starter...lol

Website says the distribution has increased in Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio but the only place I can seem to find it is at a liquor store off 86th and Allisonville near the Fox & Hound and only around derby time.

Iz in ur bases, killin ur dudez...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrFive View Post
    It is a um..."multi purpose beer" Has a taste, color, head consistent with miller lite but just a little bit better but if you stick that in the fridge, people will either want to try it because of the name but most make a comment and not touch it....more beer for you.
    Or conversation starter...lol

Website says the distribution has increased in Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio but the only place I can seem to find it is at a liquor store off 86th and Allisonville near the Fox & Hound and only around derby time.

They carry this beer at Kahn's at 86th & Township Line Rd.

User Info Menu

Just poured a pint of Wee Mac from Indy's own Sun King. It's a nice dark amber Scottish style ale. 5.3% ABV. It's kinda like a Smithwicks, but better IMO. Sun King is fast becoming a favorite of mine.
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves!

User Info Menu

Brooklyn Summer Ale
    12oz bottle
    5% ABV

Appearance: Golden in color and mostly clear. Very thin white head.

Smell: Bready and sweet, with a little citrus.

Taste: Malty with a little bit of citrus. Crisp and dry.

Mouthfeel: Light, with medium carbonation.

Overall: I tend to like dark beers, so that may have biased my review somewhat. It is marketed as ďa summer refresher,Ē however it does little to stand out from all of the other summer ales and wheats on the market. Itís a step above generic American lagers while remaining onenote. Drinkable, but I wouldnít go out of my way to get it. Grade: B-

User Info Menu

Tried this @ the St. James Restaurant in Avilla In. Being an IPA fan, as I remember, ( I drank 2 large ) & as the package says it is really hopped up. It had a light color, kinda like a Blue moon. Being hopped up, it is somewhat bitter, but smooth, & citrusy. Very nice delicate head. I told a friend to try it ( strictly a Bud drinker ), he said he couldn't finish it. Wimp. Be careful, this beer is 8.2 % abv.
    I before e except after c.

User Info Menu

Whippet Wheat
    Thirsty Dog Brewing Company, Akron OH
    5.2% ABV

Appearance: Cloudy butterscotch in color, with a very light head that dissipates quickly after pour
    Smell: Light citrus overtones, despite claiming to be a "German-style hefeweizen"
    Taste: A very malty, yeasty start that fades quickly. Distinct vanilla and banana aromas on first contact with the tongue. Has a slightly metallic tang to it that is fairly typical for a wheat beer.
    Mouthfeel: A light-tasting, lightly carbonated beer with a balanced flavor
    Overall: This is a fairly interesting hef in that it is made with 50% wheat malt, which shows in both the appearance and the taste. It's meant to be served at 37 degrees and I believe it. It's clear that this is a fine beer for sitting on the porch and drinking on a lazy summer Sunday afternoon. I give it a B+, but I'm partial to Hefeweizens so I may be scoring it high.

This beer came from Mr. G's in Noblesville as part of a pick-six, so expect to see reviews of the remaining five before long.

Meh.

Page 1 of 66 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast