• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Alright guys, the wife and I have decided to take up cycling to lose some weight. My question is how do I know the weight limit on a bike. At just under 300 lbs I don't want a bike that will not support me. I was surprised as we went to look at bikes today and none of them even mention weight. Anyone have any answers, tips, etc? Thanks in advance.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    If you get a decent quality (not big box store) bike it'll handle your weight unless you get the absolute lightest road bike out there. Most trail bikes (real ones, not the look alikes) can handle your weight while on the road no problem as they are designed for rough use.

About $500 new on the low end to about a grand. You can go much more expensive than that but it's not necessary, and cheaper than that and you risk buying crap that won't hold up.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I bent the rear axle on my mountain bike, and I wasn't 300 at the time.
    I've been up there since, and back down to 250. Hope to get it working right again.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Go to a bike shop and talk to them. They will be able to get you outfitted with something that fits your body and weight. Biking is like anything else, you get what you pay for.

Good luck with the goal, it will be easier with you both doing it... Friendly competition!

-MColford

Last edited:

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    If you get a decent quality (not big box store) bike it'll handle your weight unless you get the absolute lightest road bike out there. Most trail bikes (real ones, not the look alikes) can handle your weight while on the road no problem as they are designed for rough use.

About $500 new on the low end to about a grand. You can go much more expensive than that but it's not necessary, and cheaper than that and you risk buying crap that won't hold up.
    ^^^^this is good advice.

Since you are doing it to loose weight I am guessing you are mostly going to ride on the streets to start with. I would go to a bike store and talk to one of the sales guy/gals and tell them what you are looking for. They will help you get the right size and type of bike you need. Just like guns every type of bike has a specific purpose in mind and will be better in one situation then others.

just like I have more than 1 gun for the type of shooting I do I have more than one bicycle for the type of riding I do.

and Remember you get what you pay for.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The GIANT brand bikes are for heavier riders. Checkout Bicycle Garage Indy for those. I bought an older used Trek 800 and it works for me very well... I'm 250-270 ish.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP: Head to either BGI or to Performance Bike to shop around.

You should get GREAT service at either store. BGI is near 82nd & Dean; Performance Bike is next to Dave & Busters at the Castleton Mall.

If you want to travel a little farther, Matthews bike shop is on Pendleton Pike, between Shadeland & 465.

There's also a right good shop on Washington St. in Irvington.

-J-

Loar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    My one piece of advice is to keep the tires at the recommended pressure. Keeping the wheels true can be more difficult for a heavier person who has improperly inflated tires.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    If you want to travel a little farther said:
    These people will take good care of you. Plus they will give you a free tune up on your back after about 30-45 days. I just bought a Raliegh 21 speed comfort bike from them. I'm at 250 and that bike is so smooth.

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    Bicycle?

I have been back into bicycles off a few years now. My son and I are into vintage schwinns. These were the best. Built like a tank, repairable and cool. I ride a 1966 schwinn racer single speed. My son has 3 now, he's hooked. One of his is a tandem and i rode on it with him when he first got it finished. That would be about 450 lbs on it and it rode fine. You can find these a lot of times for around $100. You want to find a made in Chicago pre 1976. Single speed is great for exercise and easy to maintain. Pretty much just put air in the tires:yesway:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    OP: Head to either BGI or to Performance Bike to shop around.

You should get GREAT service at either store. BGI is near 82nd & Dean; Performance Bike is next to Dave & Busters at the Castleton Mall.

If you want to travel a little farther, Matthews bike shop is on Pendleton Pike, between Shadeland & 465.

There's also a right good shop on Washington St. in Irvington.

-J-

BGI also has a store at County Line Road and Emerson Ave on the southside.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I volunteer at freewheelin bikes as a mechanic when Im in indianapolis. One thing is you should avoid walmart bikes. Now I have a surly cross check which is basically a schwinn varsity frame and I have seen 300lb people race these bikes. A old varsity or nishiki steel frame from that era would work as well. I dont want to sound like a ad but Freewheelin bikes on 34th and central usually has some or can build one up for you easily. The price can range from 50-300 depending on condition of parts and frame. Basically the same as a walmart bike in price but 10 times better.
    The shop is closed till September 1 for remodeling but should reopen.

I wont be back up till January but if you dont get anything by then let me know and Ill see what I can do.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Sorry, can't tell you what it is off the top of my head; it was a $50 garage sale mountain bike. When I was at the bike shop in Carmel, I told the guy how much I weighed and he was trying to point me at something upwards of $800. I looked around a little and left :)

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Sorry, can't tell you what it is off the top of my head; it was a $50 garage sale mountain bike. When I was at the bike shop in Carmel, I told the guy how much I weighed and he was trying to point me at something upwards of $800. I looked around a little and left :)
    Actually 800 is going to be a lower entry level hardtail from most shops. Now you may want to check the HMBA forums as well as you can get some great deals. I got a 6 year old $3000 xc full suspension race bike for $300 delivered, but I had to work on it(rebuild the drivetrain and work on the headset). If you could get me a picture of the bike I could possibly id it for you.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    It's not really that big a deal to me right now; I've had severe sciatic nerve issues for the last couple of years and I'm just starting to walk well again. Don't want to push myself legwise yet. I've been losing enough weight it shouldn't be an issue once I'm confident to try it again.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    It's not really that big a deal to me right now; I've had severe sciatic nerve issues for the last couple of years and I'm just starting to walk well again. Don't want to push myself legwise yet. I've been losing enough weight it shouldn't be an issue once I'm confident to try it again.

Recovering/re-habing after a spinal injury is also what got me back into bicycling, I was wheel-chair bound for about a year, had to walk with a cane for a couple of years after that, but eventually with the aid of bicycling & a treadmill I've gotten to the point now where I can actually run (albeit for short distances) & I can walk just fine without any assistance for the most part.

Comfort wise the best advice I can give is to make sure that your bicycle is setup in a way that is most comfortable for you (seat height, handle bar LOP, height, etc) and also you will probably want to get an aftermarket seat.

I have found that the memory foam cushioned & hornless "nut-sack friendly" no pressure seats work great for me, mine has made a world of difference with regards to how far/long I could ride without being in agony the whole time.

Here a similar one to the one I use: Walmart.com: Schwinn No Pressure Bike Seat: Bikes & Riding Toys

Good luck man, keep us posted on your progress oh & if you are interested you're more than welcome to come out & ride with me, I try to ride at least a couple of miles every day, but on the weekends I like to go out and hit the local bicycle trails (I ride both the paved & off-road trails around Anderson).

Here is a snapshot of the seat mounted on my mtn bike.

IMAG0152.jpg

Last edited:

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Oh and there is also the recumbent bicycle. There are a bunch of guy that have those in your size and man they are quick. Im saving to get one as after some research I should be able to do about 30mph easily on one so more than enough for streets. The best shop for these to try them is either DG or carmel cyclery.

Also there is another type of non nut hurt seat with a u cut out of of a regular bicycle seat.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Oh and there is also the recumbent bicycle. There are a bunch of guy that have those in your size and man they are quick. Im saving to get one as after some research I should be able to do about 30mph easily on one so more than enough for streets. The best shop for these to try them is either DG or carmel cyclery.

Also there is another type of non nut hurt seat with a u cut out of of a regular bicycle seat.

I've seen those recumbent bicycles & they are pretty quick, not sure I'd ride one though, I look "dorky" enough on my mtn bike as it is.

Besides I'd probably crash the darn thing every 10' or so while trying to ride it LOL

Top Bottom