• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Do you have an out of town restaurant you have to stop at if you are near? I was working down in Hopkinsville, KY last week and had lunch at Ferrel’s Hamburgers. It is almost impossible not to eat there if I am in the area.

Ferrell's opened in 1929 and is an icon. It is tiny, about 10' x 25' inside. You walk in the door, you see the always sizzling grill to the left, a counter with 7 stools, and room to stand. The menu is limited at best, hamburger/cheeseburger, double hamburger/cheeseburger, hot dog, chips, chili, pecan pie.

It’s the experience that makes it. When you sit down on one of those green vinyl stools you see the (ancient) cook over the griddle and using a heavy spatula to slap flat balls of hamburger meat into thin patties. She scoops these up with the spatula and flips them onto the sizzling grill. When done, she slides it onto a pre-dressed bun (ketchup, mustard, onion and pickle are the only options) sitting on a piece of wax paper. The wax paper is then unceremoniously dropped onto the counter in front of you.

Pic at the link below shows the 90+/- year old cook at work
    Ferrell's hamburgers in Hopkinsville, KY - My Budget Travel Photo

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Whenever I'm in a city that has a Fogo de Chao, I have to eat at Fogo de Chao. :)

...I was working down in Hopkinsville, KY last week and had lunch at Ferrel’s Hamburgers. It is almost impossible not to eat there if I am in the area.

Wish I'd have known of this place while stationed at Ft. Campbell. :(

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Idar-Oberstein, Germany : Im Haag
    Birkenfeld, Germany: the Alt Birkenfeld

Can I get an "amen" from the Baumholder survivors? Hallelujah.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    When ever I'm in Louisvilly Ky I have to eat at Marks Feed Store on Dixie Highway. The BBQ is good but the Buttermilk Pie and the Deep Fried Corn On the Cob is out of this world!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    When ever I'm in Louisvilly Ky I have to eat at Marks Feed Store on Dixie Highway. The BBQ is good but the Buttermilk Pie and the Deep Fried Corn On the Cob is out of this world!
    There's one on this side of the river, too. In New Albany, just a few miles West of I-65 off I265.

Whenever I'm in Disney World, I have to eat at Ohana. The food is really good, but the bread pudding for dessert is absolutely amazing! I will go on record saying it's the best bread pudding EVER!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Cincinnati- Terry's Turf Club. Best burgers in the country. Pricey, but worth the cost and the trip.
    New Orleans- Acme Oyster House, for the Pecan Cobbler. Best desert I've ever tasted.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Ill get the huge pork usually but the corn is great.

If im in jasper ill eat at the black buggy, if ekerty its poor boys

Top Bottom