Should a moderator be held to a higher standard?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should a moderator be held to a “higher standard” when it comes to the classifie

• Total voters
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    Say you have something for sale in the classifieds, and a moderator contacts you with a trade, the terms have been agreed on and a time and place has been set to meet. The day before you meet they back out and sends me a PM saying they found a better deal. My question is should a moderator be held to a“higher standard” than regular members when it comes to buying in the classifieds?

Last edited:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    My personal opinion is that this scenario is a purely private sale, which has nothing to do with "who" that person represents.
    In addition, getting a phone call saying he/she found a better deal is courteous. Business is business.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    My personal opinion is that this scenario is a purely private sale, which has nothing to do with "who" that person represents.
    In addition, getting a phone call saying he/she found a better deal is courteous. Business is business.

I agree with him. He called you the day before and said that he found a better deal and did not wish to conduct business. Would you have a different reaction to the situation if he had said that a family emergency came up and would be unable to purchase the gun? Or are you just upset you didn't sale your gun?

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana

Sorry I did not say how the contact was made. It was by a PM. He had my cell # and had contacted me about the deal a few days before.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    He decided not to buy the gun and was courteous enough to tell you so instead of just not showing up. I don't understand the problem. :dunno:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I do not feel a moderator should be treated any differently. Heck, I sold a rifle to an LEO and he was in uniform when I met him, I still looked at his DL.

Having said that, "finding a better deal" is not a justifiable excuse to back out of a deal in my book.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I don't care whether it's a mod or not, but if I make an agreement, an actual agreement where it is explicitly stated that I will buy or sell at an agreed price or trade, and I have arranged to meet, I stand by my word and won't back off just because a better deal came along or because it became inconvenient.

That's the way I roll, to borrow an overused phrase. I prefer to be the kind of person who stands behind his word.

I understand other people don't operate that way. There's several people here I won't do any business with at all because their ethics are different than mine in that regard, including among them some site advertisers.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    I think i have to agree with the general consensus here, at least they had the decency to notify instead of a "no show". when it comes to buying and selling business is business, don't take it personal.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I had someone (not INGO) back out on a FTF as I was heading out the door Sunday afternoon. We had agreed on price, what the add ins were going to be and where and when to meet. He texted me as I was walking out the door saying he decided not to spend the money. Hey, stuff happens. Was I disappointed? Yes. Was I angry? No.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I had someone (not INGO) back out on a FTF as I was heading out the door Sunday afternoon. We had agreed on price, what the add ins were going to be and where and when to meet. He texted me as I was walking out the door saying he decided not to spend the money. Hey, stuff happens. Was I disappointed? Yes. Was I angry? No.

And would you do business with him again?

I wouldn't. I had someone ignore my (several) PMs that said I would pay his price and drive up to meet him but that it would take a few days since he was on the other end of the state and I needed to make a trip up that way later in the week anyway. This was after several days of his bumping his ad. He then posted "all PMs replied to" and only when I posted in his thread that "no they weren't" did I get a reply from him that "oh, he'd found another buyer and hadn't seen my PMs (yeah, right)."

Yeah, stuff happens. I prefer to deal with people who stand behind what they say though.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    INGO has a FAQ...wait...

He was respectful. No sale is final until the transaction. Wal-Mart can't stop you from shopping if you have a coupon for an item at another store and at check out decide not to buy at Wal-Marts higher cost...but they do price match. :D

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    when it comes to buying and selling business is business, don't take it personal.

Ihave no hard feelings; I have no problem with this person and think he is a stand up guy from what I have heard and read from his post and would do businesswith again if he chooses to buy what I was selling. Ijust think that a person that presides over this forum should be held to ahigher standard.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    that doesn't mean that the person has to move forward with the purchase just because they agreed on a price at any particular time, it's not a contractual agreement. In the future the OP can chose not to business with the person

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Better question is, which MOD was it? :D

IMO, MODS doing business in the classifieds is like any other member. No special treatment just because he/she is a MOD. If they back out, but gave you advanced notice, so what. They gave you notice.

You're not on a contract until money is exchanged.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Ihave no hard feelings; I have no problem with this person and think he is a stand up guy from what I have heard and read from his post and would do businesswith again if he chooses to buy what I was selling. Ijust think that a person that presides over this forum should be held to ahigher standard.

A higher standard needs to be defined before you can hold someone to it. Someone buying the same item at a lower cost than what you offer is what we all do. And that should not make someone think that their standards of business is higher or lower than anyone elses.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Where's that butt hurt form that was posted in a thread yesterday?

Like has been said prior, you got a message saying he found a better deal. Ding him in iTrader and move on.

And a moderator is a thankless job that doesn't pay anything. Why discourage someone from volunteering their time and energy to herd all the cats on here by posting something like this and expecting them to do more than show some common courtesy?

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom