Anybody ever applied for a title for a car/motorcycle...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I just bought a 1970 Honda enduro motorcycle from somebody, and he did not have the title. He said that he got it by doing handyman work and it wasn't stolen. It is a basket case, and I;m sure has not been licences in years. I want to restore it, but before I spend any money on it I make sure it is not stolen and get a title. I have a bill of sale w/the guys name and address, and really trust (or hope) that he was on the up-and-up.

Has anyone here gone through this process and can lead me throught the steps? Thanks in advance!

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I think this may call for a police check of the V.I.N. then you may be able to apply for a lost title.
    Not sure but worth a try.

I know that if you bring in a car from out of state you will need a police check. In this case I would get one just to be sure it isn't hot. It could save you some trouble down the road.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Are you going to make it street legal? If you are just going to run around the woods or the farm with it, you really do not need a title. There is a way to get a title even if it never had one. It is called a builders title. If you prove that you assembled a bike out of junk parts, you can title it that way and they will issue you an number that you are to stamp on the frame. I built a VW powered trike out of junk and that is how I titled it for street use. Good Luck

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Leo, I want it street legal. I only plan to ride it close to home, but don't want the hassles or worried of riding illegally. My neighbor got in trouble for driving his Yamaha Rhino up to the speedway gas station, not 1/2 mile from our street. The police didn't like him driving it down Allisonville Road!

I think the Police check will be my first move. Thanks for the replies.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Yes, for a enclosed trailer. I just got my title a month ago, the process started 5 months ago! Follow this list of items on this link. Basically, you need a (1) bill of sale on the state recognized form, (2) state form 23037 filled out, (3) VIN inspection completed by LEO, (4) an UNOPENED letter addressed to the seller that has been returned to you. You have to send it certified to show that you attempted to obtain the title, but they did not accept your letter. This can be the PITA.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...sg=AFQjCNHGgMP2EeGUxRB-VtLJg-hlScqhLg&cad=rja

It's a lot of work and takes a ton of time, but it is obtainable. Meh, I would buy a bike (or trailer) with a title (in the future). Good luck!

WILSON

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Top, left-hand corne
    My experience has matched Naptown's. :xmad:

Start soon, expect a lot of bureaucratic bull$hit from the automatons behind the counter, and most importantly, don't give up!
    It will get done eventually.

I've gone through the situation serveral times (last was 1927 Model-T that was never titled; "titles" are strictly a State [STRIKE]bureaucratic revenue-generating scam[/STRIKE] invention - manufacturers simply issue a "certificate of origin").
    It always seems to take several trips, and a long time, so it helps to be patient,.. yet relentless. :(

Top Bottom